Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

Has anyone completed to K Trail lately? Have the locals succeeded in closing it up or is it still open, I’d like to give it a shot this spring. Open invitation, the more the merrier. Good article below for those that don’t know about it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
I've been wanting to hit it up myself, but have been reading that half is closed, but you can still do half. I don't see the article, if you don't mind re-linking it I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: OkieOverlander

OkieOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

Yeah that’s what I’ve heard as well. From Clayton to the Three Sticks is clear, but east of that isn’t. It turns private.

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
Thanks for the link. Once I can get my rig back together and shook down, probably be spring before I'm done, I hope to head out there, at least for a day trip. I'll try to post up once I actually have a plan.

OkieOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

Thanks for the link. Once I can get my rig back together and shook down, probably be spring before I'm done, I hope to head out there, at least for a day trip. I'll try to post up once I actually have a plan.
My wife and I are due in may so I’m aiming for early to mid March. Hopefully we can meet up.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
My wife and I are due in may so I’m aiming for early to mid March. Hopefully we can meet up.
Congrats! May's a great month. My wife and daughter are both May babies :smile:. I'll be getting back to work on my rig after the new year, so if I'm lucky I'll be ready by March. It's not like I have a ton to do, a new radiator and now it looks like a new fuel pump. I have a deadline of May myself due to my daughters graduation. It'd sure be awesome to meet up. Sounds like I have a reason to push a little harder.

OkieOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

Congrats! May's a great month. My wife and daughter are both May babies :smile:. I'll be getting back to work on my rig after the new year, so if I'm lucky I'll be ready by March. It's not like I have a ton to do, a new radiator and now it looks like a new fuel pump. I have a deadline of May myself due to my daughters graduation. It'd sure be awesome to meet up. Sounds like I have a reason to push a little harder.
Yeah same here. Few suspension repairs, a good shake down and my newly acquired 98 XJ will be heading down. It’ll be Interesting to see how well a bone stock Jeep will do.

OkieOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

So bad news. The K Trail From Clayton on towards three sticks is private and it is at your own risk. I called Dane Polk, thanks Taylor Tiffany Adney, and he said that it is no longer a road and if anything were to happen when encountering thee business end of a shot they would be trespassing. Although he did tell about some OHV parks about 30 Miles East of Clayton that are open and designed for side by sides and Jeeps. Roughly 400,000 acres. https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/ouachita/recreation/ohv/?recid=10712&actid=93

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
So bad news. The K Trail From Clayton on towards three sticks is private and it is at your own risk. I called Dane Polk, thanks Taylor Tiffany Adney, and he said that it is no longer a road and if anything were to happen when encountering thee business end of a shot they would be trespassing. Although he did tell about some OHV parks about 30 Miles East of Clayton that are open and designed for side by sides and Jeeps. Roughly 400,000 acres. https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/ouachita/recreation/ohv/?recid=10712&actid=93
That's similar to what I've been hearing. I still want to do what's opened once I'm back up and running. I'd like to check out some of those OHV parks, too. I need to get back to superlift in Hot Springs AR, too, so I can try the badge of honor stuff :smile:

Texploration

Rank IV

Influencer II

Dallas
Fire tower to Mena is legal still but you have to double back from Three sticks to get to the fire tower. I've lost two tires on that stretch, I'm over it. From there to Mena is dirt/gravel. Pretty but not much to write home about. There is a lot more fun an hour North or so in the Ouachitas.

OkieOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

Yeah that’s what the guy I talked to said, and had the same opinion. Going that far for that much trouble and not a lot of trail isn’t too appealing, but there are a lot of other trails down that way as well

4.0LitersToFreedom

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma City, Ok
Member #

I have wanted to do the K-Trail for some time now. I took a trip in November to Clayton lake and camped at the state park. Really cool place to see the fall colors. I scoped out the entrance to K-trail, Hurd Creek, and Clayton trail. K-trail and Hurd both had no trespassing signs next to the Trail. Clayton trail didn't have any signs , but had a sketchy old abandoned airstream by the trailhead. I drove in about 100 yards and turned around. I just didn't get a good vibe about being on these trails. As the saying goes "if you aren't sure if it's ok to be there, you probably shouldn't be there". It's a shame these trails are not being managed better.

I drove over to the Talimena scenic drive and found some cool forest service roads branching off of highway 1. I did a little more research on this area and it is called Winding Stair National Recreation Area. There's quite a few ohv trails and unimproved forest roads there, along with some campgrounds. I'd like to go back in the spring and run some trails and camp out of anyone is interested they are welcome to join me.

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
I have wanted to do the K-Trail for some time now. I took a trip in November to Clayton lake and camped at the state park. Really cool place to see the fall colors. I scoped out the entrance to K-trail, Hurd Creek, and Clayton trail. K-trail and Hurd both had no trespassing signs next to the Trail. Clayton trail didn't have any signs , but had a sketchy old abandoned airstream by the trailhead. I drove in about 100 yards and turned around. I just didn't get a good vibe about being on these trails. As the saying goes "if you aren't sure if it's ok to be there, you probably shouldn't be there". It's a shame these trails are not being managed better.

I drove over to the Talimena scenic drive and found some cool forest service roads branching off of highway 1. I did a little more research on this area and it is called Winding Stair National Recreation Area. There's quite a few ohv trails and unimproved forest roads there, along with some campgrounds. I'd like to go back in the spring and run some trails and camp out of anyone is interested they are welcome to join me.
I definitely want to do something as soon as I'm streetable again. That should be coming sooner now that Christmas is over. I'll definitely try to make any rides I can.

OkieOverlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Noble, Oklahoma
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Kirby
Member #

I definitely want to do something as soon as I'm streetable again. That should be coming sooner now that Christmas is over. I'll definitely try to make any rides I can.
Yeah me too, I’m getting close to finishing my XJ up and will be ready around March.