2 Busy Living

Rank II

Advocate I

Jacksonville, St. Johns County, Florida, United States
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Hi everyone. Greetings from Florida! So, me and the wife will be going to visit our son in Fort Carson this June and figured we'd make a trip out of it and spend a week checking out what Utah has to offer. We got 7 days to do some exploring and have just started some planning. I was thinking we'd spend a couple days in/around each of these national parks, in this order: Grand Canyon, Zion, and Arches. We're really open to either campground or back country options. Not looking to do any serious off-roading, I am in a stock Ram 1500 Rebel 4X4.

Here's my thinking so far.
Grand Canyon - Initial search had me looking at campsites in the South Rim, maybe Ten-X Campground? But the more I researched the more I keep hearing about the North Rim and it's seclusion, which sounds more appealing to me. Was thinking maybe Demotte campground?
Zion - Going to try and get reservations at the South Campground. Reservations can only be made 14 days out, so I'll have to wait to try for this. Still have to look of options in case it doesn't pan out. Seems to be a lot of short hikes within the park, although I didn't win the Angels Landing Lottery :cry:
Arches - Was thinking about spending a night out somewhere along Hurrah Pass and/or Gemini Bridges Trail and spends half days in the park exploring.

Really hoping for suggestions to help avoid spending our whole vacation in crowds and get some time to just enjoy the sights. My truck is somewhat self-sufficient, I have a rtt, 100 ah battery along with charger (alternator and solar), fridge cooler, water cans, etc... The basic items needed to last a few days off grid.

Thanks

Reactions: Coreymol

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Man, have a blast! Such an amazing part of the world.

There is TONS of dispersed camping on the north side of the Grand Canyon and all the way up to Zion.

Reactions: 2 Busy Living

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

That’s beautiful country. Here’s a bit of info and opinion:
Grand Canyon - DeMotte is an excellent campground, but pretty small, so reservations are hard to come by in summer. There’s dispersed camping in Kaibab National Forest and a general store/gas station on the main road near DeMotte; another general store and a bathhouse (check the park to see if it’s open) at the entrance to the North Rim Campground. Awesome sunsets at Point Imperial.
Zion - Ugh, Zion is like Disney, very crowded and you have to ride shuttles. Definitely worth a few hours drive to enjoy the views, as the landscape is stunning. You can still trek up Walter’s Wiggles to the overlook even without an Angel’s Landing permit. The Narrows is a great hike, but check with the park as to whether it’s open and ensure you’re properly outfitted. Sadly, the Observation Point trail is still closed. Zion Outfitters in Springdale has pay showers.
Arches - get your entry permit asap! No tickey, no entry. There’s a good bit of dispersed camping outside of Moab, both north (Potash Road, out towards Fisher Towers, etc.) and south (La Sal mountains loop). For a more challenging hike with lots of scenery, do Landscape Arch + the Primitive Trail. For a shorter, less crowded, but amazing hike, do Tower Arch. Scramble up to wall behind the arch for a photo op. Lots to do outside of town - drive Shafer Canyon Trail (if you dare), hike to Corona/Bowtie Arches, see the dinosaur tracks and petroglyphs. Fisher Towers hike, too, especially if you camp out there. Nice and remote.
Other ideas:
Kodachrome State Park - scenic stop, some short hikes.
Cedar Breaks National Monument - red sandstone cliffs at 10K feet, what’s not to love? Watch out for both deer and sheep on the road, though, particularly at dawn/dusk.
Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument - plenty of dispersed camping, slot canyons such as Spooky, Peek a Boo, and Zebra. Hike to Calf Falls.
Bryce Canyon National Park - Hoodoos galore! Hike the Fairyland Loop, really cool. Visit Ruby’s buffet for a post hike pig out.
Capitol Reef National Park - often overlooked, but a real gem. Hike to Cassidy Arch, Hickman Bridge, and stay at the Fruita Campground, where deer wander around without fear and you can get amazing fruit pies.
Escalante Petrified State Park - excellent campground, very quiet, scenic and convenient. Early morning hike to see lots of colorful petrified wood and maybe a jackrabbit or two.
Horseshoe Canyon - if you wanna go remote, drive out and camp at the rim. Then hike down into the canyon for some of the best preserved rock art around. The parking has a pit toilet…that’s all. Take plenty of water/food and gas up before you turn off onto the dirt road. Goblin Valley is nearby - combine them for a double park whammy.
I realize this is a lot more than 7 days, but it will give you some ideas. The desert Southwest is a fascinating area and there’s SO much to see, you’ll want to return. I have, many times. Enjoy!

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

It’s out past Fisher Towers. I think it’s BLM land? Not sure about permits, check the website or call the Moab District office. We didn’t need a permit for Shafer Canyon in December, but it was mostly deserted. June will be busy.

Reactions: 2 Busy Living

2 Busy Living

Rank II

Advocate I

Jacksonville, St. Johns County, Florida, United States
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
That’s beautiful country. Here’s a bit of info and opinion:
Grand Canyon - DeMotte is an excellent campground, but pretty small, so reservations are hard to come by in summer. There’s dispersed camping in Kaibab National Forest and a general store/gas station on the main road near DeMotte; another general store and a bathhouse (check the park to see if it’s open) at the entrance to the North Rim Campground. Awesome sunsets at Point Imperial.
Zion - Ugh, Zion is like Disney, very crowded and you have to ride shuttles. Definitely worth a few hours drive to enjoy the views, as the landscape is stunning. You can still trek up Walter’s Wiggles to the overlook even without an Angel’s Landing permit. The Narrows is a great hike, but check with the park as to whether it’s open and ensure you’re properly outfitted. Sadly, the Observation Point trail is still closed. Zion Outfitters in Springdale has pay showers.
Arches - get your entry permit asap! No tickey, no entry. There’s a good bit of dispersed camping outside of Moab, both north (Potash Road, out towards Fisher Towers, etc.) and south (La Sal mountains loop). For a more challenging hike with lots of scenery, do Landscape Arch + the Primitive Trail. For a shorter, less crowded, but amazing hike, do Tower Arch. Scramble up to wall behind the arch for a photo op. Lots to do outside of town - drive Shafer Canyon Trail (if you dare), hike to Corona/Bowtie Arches, see the dinosaur tracks and petroglyphs. Fisher Towers hike, too, especially if you camp out there. Nice and remote.
Other ideas:
Kodachrome State Park - scenic stop, some short hikes.
Cedar Breaks National Monument - red sandstone cliffs at 10K feet, what’s not to love? Watch out for both deer and sheep on the road, though, particularly at dawn/dusk.
Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument - plenty of dispersed camping, slot canyons such as Spooky, Peek a Boo, and Zebra. Hike to Calf Falls.
Bryce Canyon National Park - Hoodoos galore! Hike the Fairyland Loop, really cool. Visit Ruby’s buffet for a post hike pig out.
Capitol Reef National Park - often overlooked, but a real gem. Hike to Cassidy Arch, Hickman Bridge, and stay at the Fruita Campground, where deer wander around without fear and you can get amazing fruit pies.
Escalante Petrified State Park - excellent campground, very quiet, scenic and convenient. Early morning hike to see lots of colorful petrified wood and maybe a jackrabbit or two.
Horseshoe Canyon - if you wanna go remote, drive out and camp at the rim. Then hike down into the canyon for some of the best preserved rock art around. The parking has a pit toilet…that’s all. Take plenty of water/food and gas up before you turn off onto the dirt road. Goblin Valley is nearby - combine them for a double park whammy.
I realize this is a lot more than 7 days, but it will give you some ideas. The desert Southwest is a fascinating area and there’s SO much to see, you’ll want to return. I have, many times. Enjoy!
Awesome, Thanks I'll check out some of those suggestions. Good to know about showers. We did get the permits for Arches, by the time I had found out abut it there were only later day time available. Better then nothing though

Daveykavey

Rank II

Pathfinder II

Marathon, Brewster County, Texas, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Knapp
Heading to Zion at the end of august. Thanks for the tips on the showers. Any recommendations on the "non popular" hikes and/or 4x4 trails nearby?
Was just there for about 2 weeks and stayed near the Zion Wright family ranch, and kolob canyon. Also check out the back country hikes to the northern part of the subway

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Heading to Zion at the end of august. Thanks for the tips on the showers. Any recommendations on the "non popular" hikes and/or 4x4 trails nearby?
Zion will be hot. Beat the heat and drive up to 10K feet at either Cedar Breaks National Monument (look out for both deer and domestic sheep herds on the road) or Dixie National Forest. Bryce Canyon National Park gets up to just over 9K feet, so it may be okay and there are some excellent hikes there (Fairyland Loop!) In Zion, hike either at daybreak or if you have a full moon, at sunset. Maybe book a raft trip?

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT

Attachments

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Elliot
Last Name
Byfield
Zion will be hot. Beat the heat and drive up to 10K feet at either Cedar Breaks National Monument (look out for both deer and domestic sheep herds on the road) or Dixie National Forest. Bryce Canyon National Park gets up to just over 9K feet, so it may be okay and there are some excellent hikes there (Fairyland Loop!) In Zion, hike either at daybreak or if you have a full moon, at sunset. Maybe book a raft trip?
I know it’ll be hot. Slightly poor planning on my part in that respect. We will have our toddler with us so rafting is out for a few more years. We will be doing our hikes early. I’ll look at some of the other ones you mentioned. Thanks!

Reactions: ZombieCat