Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

Hey all, we are taking a family trip to Jordan Lake, just for one day/night (25 May). I have a family of 6, with my youngest being 2. I have a site reserved and we will be taking our patriot camper out for the first time as an entire family.

That said, is there anything amazing we must check out at Jordan Lake? Though we have a reserved camp site, I'm told the lake is pretty murky where I am staying and was hoping someone with experience can suggest a place we can also check out, even if just for a few hours at the Jordan Lake area.

Thanks,
-Chris

Lost Texan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Winterville, NC
Member #

Hi Chris,
How was your trip? My wife and I were thinking about heading out there in a few weeks and I am very new to the area. Do you have any recommendations or advice that could help us out? We are planning on a ground tent for camping and maybe just an overnight or 3 day stay.

Thanks

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

Hi Chris,
How was your trip? My wife and I were thinking about heading out there in a few weeks and I am very new to the area. Do you have any recommendations or advice that could help us out? We are planning on a ground tent for camping and maybe just an overnight or 3 day stay.

Thanks

We stayed at Parker's Creek, loop 1. The sites are perfect for base camp. We had out patriot camper out there with us and managed to fit everything. Keep in mind we are a family of 6 so space is necessary!! There was a bathroom nearby and we were less than 1/2 mile from the beach entry lake access, which our kids absolutely loved.

Even though it wasn't "dispersed" or "primitive" it's a great spot for my family of 6. Especially as this is less than an hour away from our home.

I recently just stayed 2 nights in the Pisgah national forest, about 30-40 min south of Asheville. If you're able to go there, I'd suggest that instead as the water falls all throughout that area are AMAZING. PM me if you like those photos, and I also have the grid coordinates for our dispersed campsite out in the Pisgah as well.

Our jordan lake photos are below....

Our camp site, w/ the nose of our car facing the road access, the bathrooms were a 2 min walk up the road.
IMG_1857.JPG

There was lake just beyond our campsite but we saw a water snake so we sorta avoided the water as my kids range from 9 y/o all the way down to 2 y/o.
IMG_1855.JPG

And finally the water access, less than 1/2 mile drive from camp. We just tossed the kids in the car, told them they didn't have to buckle and off we went. Speed limit is like 20mph. All in all, this is a great spot for a quick trip. Make sure to look at the sits on the "reserveamerica" website. Their interactive map, although a little glitchy, is really helpful in picking a good spot.
IMG_1852.JPG

Attachments

Lost Texan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Winterville, NC
Member #

Looks like a great time! I'm sending you a PM about the Pisgah National Forest information. I am really interested in dispersed camp areas because I like a little seclusion when I camp.

Thanks for the information. I may make the trip to Jordan lake when my nephews come in from Texas later this summer. Looks like a good spot for an easy camp out and some good family areas.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Nice setup. Looks like y'all had a good time. PMing for Pisgah National forest info