Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Had to make a change to the sleeping arrangements after the shakedown overnighter. Although the sleeping platform was comfortable, maneuvering inside the back of the Runner was much more difficult than this 61 year old cares to to deal with.

So, I stepped up to the Gazelle T3x. I took my time for the first setup, but it is as easy as they say to put up.

Now, where shall I go??

Attachments

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

Just the thought of attempting to get on that sleeping platform hurts, sooo, I'm glad to read about your "stepped up to the Gazelle T3x".

BTW, do use a cot inside? Getting off the ground can be just as challenging as climbing up onto a platform. :smirk:

Last edited:

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Just the thought of attempting to get on that sleeping platform hurts, sooo, I'm glad to read about your "stepped up to the Gazelle T3x".

BTW, do use a cot inside? Getting off the ground can be just as challenging as climbing up onto a platform. :smirk:
Yep, I will use a cot. Cot acts as a bed and bench inside the tent. Find a cot much better than sleeping in the floor. Have a good enough sleeping pad to sleep on the floor, but prefer a cot nowadays!!

Reactions: TSO_NJ

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

Had to make a change to the sleeping arrangements after the shakedown overnighter. Although the sleeping platform was comfortable, maneuvering inside the back of the Runner was much more difficult than this 61 year old cares to to deal with.

So, I stepped up to the Gazelle T3x. I took my time for the first setup, but it is as easy as they say to put up.

Now, where shall I go??
My 58 year old body agrees. I have been using a Gazelle T3X for two years. Added a Byers of Maine EasyCot and Thermarest LuxuryMap XL sleeping pad.

Reactions: CubbyXL7

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Now, where shall I go??
My 58 year old body agrees. I have been using a Gazelle T3X for two years. Added a Byers of Maine EasyCot and Thermarest LuxuryMap XL sleeping pad.
Have a lightweight aluminum cot and a REI Camp Mattress that works great.

Looking forward to the first time to use the T3x. Hopefully this Friday night at the deer lease. Likely to be some pics to follow.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Totally get you when you need to sleep in your rig - the gymnastics we need to do would get some laughs - Lucky for me I am hobbit sized so it works out pretty good.

I was a tent camper for the longest time and finally built a platform in the back of my 4runner ( shorter than the one you have).
Since then when I get to camp all I do is pull out a couple of my front runner boxes, stow them under the rig and unroll my bed roll and "bingobango" done.

I also have the Gazelle tent, and use it primarily when I am basecampjng - makes it nice to secure a camp spot and put my gear inside ( out of sight ).
Only downside on the Gazelle is the mesh roof... not so great when it is cold outside :pensive: - though a electric blanket can be a game changer in winter

2023-12-02_15-08-11.jpg

Reactions: ZombieCat

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I can sleep in the back of my Discovery II, but went to an RTT. Same reason it is just easier and more comfortable. I like the idea of a ground tent but here in the PNW it is often more time-consuming to setup a ground tent than an RTT, roots, rock, pine cones, some times mud.
At 65 I can still clamber around ok to fold the RTT and I still put my platform in for the days on the trail with heavy rain and high winds.

It is pretty basic platform though just plywood and legs

On at least one trip that was 4 out of 6 days, the discovery got rocking pretty good a couple times.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have a few options that include a tear drop trailer and an off road trailer with a RTT but I've camped several times in the back my Jeep XJ and really enjoy it. I use it for various things and have resisted making a sleep platform. Mine is a 2 dr. which makes it easy to dive in head first from the passenger's side. I slide the seat all the way forward and the bit of space in the foot well behind it allows me to sit up to change my clothes and put on my shoes. Not ideal but at 5'8" & 71 I can still do it and as for sleeping, it's very comfortable. I can also hang out and sleep on a cot in a screen tent with walls if the weather is good.

I've also looked at a Gazelle T3x as they would be much better in bad weather. Based on how easy my 4 wall screen tent is to use I'm sure these would be the same.

20210811_195454.jpg

22-07-03 1.JPG

Reactions: rgallant

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Totally get you when you need to sleep in your rig - the gymnastics we need to do would get some laughs - Lucky for me I am hobbit sized so it works out pretty good.

I was a tent camper for the longest time and finally built a platform in the back of my 4runner ( shorter than the one you have).
Since then when I get to camp all I do is pull out a couple of my front runner boxes, stow them under the rig and unroll my bed roll and "bingobango" done.

I also have the Gazelle tent, and use it primarily when I am basecampjng - makes it nice to secure a camp spot and put my gear inside ( out of sight ).
Only downside on the Gazelle is the mesh roof... not so great when it is cold outside :pensive: - though a electric blanket can be a game changer in winter

View attachment 269965
Try putting a thin blanket over the mesh area before you put on the rainfly.
Still somewhat breathable for condensation control and raises the temp about 10 degrees compared to without.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

I have a smaller vehicle-1997 4Runner. I sometimes sleep on the floor of the cargo area, with nice pad between me and the carpeted floor. Of course, I have to empty 1/2 of the cargo to make a spot for 1 person. The other half holds the heavy battery and Engel fridge.The idea of raising the floor with a platform seems like it'd be really cramped...kind of like sleeping in a morgue drawer or one of the famous Japanese cubicle hotels.