JL Rubicon Lift Kit for Heavy Rig

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

I have a 2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon and I'm looking for a lift to both increase off-road capability, but also to manage the additional weight of the rig.
Between Gobi Rack, RTT, winch, full load of gear, and a family inside, the weight has over stressed the stock suspension.

Thinking a mild-medium size lift, 2-3" and thinking 35" tires, although I'm curious about 37's.

Are there specific kits that are targeted for higher weight rigs, or will any/all lift kits come with the ability to manage significantly increased curb weight?

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Attachments

deFine_overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pemberwick Park Lane, Houston, Texas 77070, United States
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
DeFino
Member #

I have a 2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon and I'm looking for a lift to both increase off-road capability, but also to manage the additional weight of the rig.
Between Gobi Rack, RTT, winch, full load of gear, and a family inside, the weight has over stressed the stock suspension.

Thinking a mild-medium size lift, 2-3" and thinking 35" tires, although I'm curious about 37's.

Are there specific kits that are targeted for higher weight rigs, or will any/all lift kits come with the ability to manage significantly increased curb weight?

Any advice is very much appreciated!
Unfortunately my reply won’t supply you an affirmative answer to your questions. But, I am in a similar situation and may be able to give you more insight into your issue. I have a 2020 JL Rubicon with a 3.5” Rough Country lift. The only thing I kept from this kit were the lift springs and the Vertex adjustable shocks. There are a number of folks that bash Rough Country products, but I have to say that I have been satisfied with both the kits I have bought from them. I have also installed all new control arms and track bars from Rubicon Express.
I am able to fit 37x 12.50 x17” tire with no issues on the stock wheels. I did install 1.5” wheel spacers due to the font tires rubbing the lower control arms when at full lock and rears rubbed my aftermarket inner fender wells when I had some pretty significant flex.
Now to the problem you are experiencing. When my rig is loaded out I have significant sag in the rear but not enough to cause rubbing even when off-roading, but hitting the bump stops pretty hard, especially when I have my 20 gallon water tank full. So to fix the sag I added ACOS adjustable spring mounts in the rear. This helped with weight displacement when I added gear. It helped to distribute it more evenly across the back and front. But it doesn’t fix the fact that the rear spring are nearly coil bound (collapsed).
So, I have been doing a lot of research to put heavier rear springs in the back. The fact that I have the adjustable rear mounts offers me some more freedom in options. I have not found that there are higher spring rate options ( higher enough to make a difference). So I have orders a few different spring rates in aftermarket coil over springs that I will be trying out in a few weeks. Once I found something that is suiting my needs I’ll pass on what I find out.
-DOM

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm looking for a lift to both increase off-road capability, but also to manage the additional weight of the rig.
They are mutually exclusive goals. First rule, the GVWR is just that, the maximum weight your JL is designed to carry. Bigger springs, tires will not enhance that. Second the Wrangler just like the PowerWagon have reduced weight carrying payload capacity because they are engineered to flex. Enhancing off road ability means reducing the GVWR..... as Dodge did creating the W2500 PoweWagon vs the same W2500 Pickup without the enhanced off road ability of the PowerWagon.

You need to choose but if you lift it, increase its ramp index capability......... you need to reduce your payload expectations.

You manage the weight by reducing the weight.

Any other choice invites the just empty every pocket jeep syndrome. Increased spring capacity over loads frame, control arm mounts, driveline, transmission, a never ending story. $$$$$ been there, done that.

Last edited:
Reactions: COtundraFamily