Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

Alright guys, I have a debate and was curious what y’all thought. So I’m in a 4-door JK. My original plan was to go a TF 3 in and 35s. The rig came with a Garvin adventure rack. I’m not the biggest fan of it personally but I already have it so why not. The thing is I commute 43 miles to work and I have to park in a garage and with 35s and the rack it would be tight. So I’ve been toying with doing a 1.5 and 33s. Any thoughts?

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I run a teraflex 2.5” and 35s. I have a Frontrunner rack and I can still squeeze into my garage when need be. The Garvin is a couple inches taller. I wouldn’t make it into the garage with it. But I have never had any problems with parking gearges, most have at least 7 foot clearance around here.

Reactions: Nickzero

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

I run a teraflex 2.5” and 35s. I have a Frontrunner rack and I can still squeeze into my garage when need be. The Garvin is a couple inches taller. I wouldn’t make it into the garage with it. But I have never had any problems with parking gearges, most have at least 7 foot clearance around here.
Yeah, that’s my only complaint with the Garvin. Not knocking their product or anything. But i would’ve went with their wilderness rack or a Gobi if I was buying that style. But yeah, ours is right at 7. I’m just squeamish since I ripped the soft top off on my old TJ in Hawaii haha. The other big thing is the commute to be real.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I bought a Garvin used for another project. I wasn’t real impressed with it. I like the Frontrunner, but choosing between it and a Gobi or Rhino Rack was tough. Personally, I don’t like the way the Garvin or Gobi hang off the sides of the Jeep in the back. That was my deciding factor. I do drag an antenna or two in parking garages, it happens.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
I am a firm believer in function over fashion. Do you find that you need the additional 1" of clearance that the 35's offer over the 33's? If the answer is "no" or "not really" then you should move to 33's. Similarly, are you pushing your articulation to the max, necessitating a 3" lift? If not, then I would consider a smaller lift.

Reactions: Dilldog

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

I bought a Garvin used for another project. I wasn’t real impressed with it. I like the Frontrunner, but choosing between it and a Gobi or Rhino Rack was tough. Personally, I don’t like the way the Garvin or Gobi hang off the sides of the Jeep in the back. That was my deciding factor. I do drag an antenna or two in parking garages, it happens.
Yeah, I wouldn’t have bought the one I have. But unless I find someone who wants it, it’s not really a priority in changing it until after I get other stuff done. Hell it won’t fit in garages in DC already anyway haha.

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

I am a firm believer in function over fashion. Do you find that you need the additional 1" of clearance that the 35's offer over the 33's? If the answer is "no" or "not really" then you should move to 33's. Similarly, are you pushing your articulation to the max, necessitating a 3" lift? If not, then I would consider a smaller lift.
That’s a valid point. My main focus so far was more balancing capabilities I could potentially do with the fact it’s a daily. Not necessarily solely looking at what’s needed now.

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

I found a spot at work that had 9ft clearance so since height isn’t an issue anymore I decided to go 3.5 and 35s buuuuuut VA hit me with taxes for a truck I totaled that they never took off my record apparently. So that’s all gonna wait a bit more

• Sad
Reactions: Kimmar

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I’m glad you got that sorted out. Someone always seems to standing by with their palm up.

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

I’m glad you got that sorted out. Someone always seems to standing by with their palm up.
Yeah, my first Jeep was easy, it was Hawaii, living in the barracks, no bills or anything. Being older and daily made me have to think more into it haha

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I will seconds the Teraflex 2.5'' spring lift. It's a kick ass lift that feels stock considering you get the Fox 2.0 shocks or similar. I am also on 35's and this lit as done it all.

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

I will seconds the Teraflex 2.5'' spring lift. It's a kick ass lift that feels stock considering you get the Fox 2.0 shocks or similar. I am also on 35's and this lit as done it all.
Good to know man. Thanks!

Reactions: Nickzero

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I also have the teraflex 2.5 but the rears were a little soft because I haul an expedition trailer and was getting sag. Traded out the rear sprigs for OME. Not as smooth. The teraflex is a wonderful kit however. We have installed three of these and can get it done ina couple of hours in the driveway.

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

I also have the teraflex 2.5 but the rears were a little soft because I haul an expedition trailer and was getting sag. Traded out the rear sprigs for OME. Not as smooth. The teraflex is a wonderful kit however. We have installed three of these and can get it done ina couple of hours in the driveway.
That’s good to know! I tow my bass boat a lot. Now overall not that much weight but still something to consider.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I had this same issue after towing our teardrop. I went to the Teraflex 3" overland springs to handle the extra weight of the teardrop and RTT.

Reactions: MLGrace

Booboodmb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Center Barnstead, Barnstead, NH, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Palmieri
Member #

Another thing to consider is regearing if you go to 35s. I went with 4.88 and I’m able to use 6th gear again. Life is much better with this gearing. If you are towing, I’d consider going 5.13.

In addition, you have to eventually upgrade the driveshafts on 3.5 lift. Something to also consider.

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

Another thing to consider is regearing if you go to 35s. I went with 4.88 and I’m able to use 6th gear again. Life is much better with this gearing. If you are towing, I’d consider going 5.13.

In addition, you have to eventually upgrade the driveshafts on 3.5 lift. Something to also consider.
Yeah I got you. I have 4.10s now and it’s not terrible. But I haven’t towed my boat yet. We’ll find out how that goes in a couple weeks lol.

And yeah the driveshafts are already on the list just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I went in a slightly different direction. AEV 2.5" Dualsport with Kenda Klever 35/10.5/17 tires. When mounted they are 34" at 31psi on AEV Saltas. I run the EAG gutter mount rack. I'm 300lbs and travel with my 172lb great dane/bull mastiff... so on RTT for me.

I ran the AEV 2" spacer lift and 33" Patagonias M/T's which are 33" tires. Just wanted more.

The determining factor really is how much clearance do you need? Stock rigs are capable of so much before we start messing with them. I added mine due to New Mexico and Colorado trips needing the clearance.

Attachments

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

I went in a slightly different direction. AEV 2.5" Dualsport with Kenda Klever 35/10.5/17 tires. When mounted they are 34" at 31psi on AEV Saltas. I run the EAG gutter mount rack. I'm 300lbs and travel with my 172lb great dane/bull mastiff... so on RTT for me.

I ran the AEV 2" spacer lift and 33" Patagonias M/T's which are 33" tires. Just wanted more.

The determining factor really is how much clearance do you need? Stock rigs are capable of so much before we start messing with them. I added mine due to New Mexico and Colorado trips needing the clearance.
Sorry for the late response. My app has been messing up.
Nah you’re completely right. I don’t need the clearance as much around here but on the long camping hunting trips back in Bama it’s a plus.

Reactions: Billiebob