Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Nobody much cared if it took 2 mins or 4 mins to boil water until they started advertising about it. ( That's marketing) I have been reading stove reviews for 30 plus years. I know, how long it takes was included in the review process as was how well it simmered and how long a tank last. The Jet boil is a 1 trick pony. I own or have owned stoves for 50 plus years. All of them have up and down sides.

Reactions: Viking1204 and MOAK

TCBTacoma

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butt
Member #

So, probably not adding a lot new here..but after 2 pages of talking about JetBoil, not sure anybody can. I agree with everything stated, JetBoil (or similar setups) are really one trick ponies. Depending on what you need to do, they're just easy for the one thing they do. If I just want to make a cup of coffee or tea, it's much quicker to just fire up a JetBoil (or similar) rather than getting out my stove, pot/kettle, etc. As far as actual benefit, if you don't care about the extra setup/cleanup, I don't see a lot of use in the *overlanding* world (as most overlanders are carrying some type of stove). If that ease of use is worth the money/storage of the device, then it is (to each their own, I have both since many of my breakfasts don't require any cooking...I can just fire up the JetBoil for coffee and it's done).

Reactions: MiamiC70 and MMc

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
Fromer Buyer for an specialty backpacking store here. Grew up using Sveas, Bluets, Whisperlites and Coleman stoves depending on the type of trip.

I remember seeing the first prototype Jetboil in a tiny booth at OR probably 15 years ago.

Jetboil likes to market the speed of boil but the real advantage to their all in one setups is fuel efficiency. If you are backpacking, you can carry less fuel canisters and start saving weight for a group of 2 on trips longer than 4 days. For a group of 4 you start seeing weight savings on any trip longer than a weekend.

For everyone else, it is about convinience for boiling water.

Personally, I own 2 Genesis Basecamp Stoves along with a Luna side burner, a Sumo, a Minymo and a 1.5L Fluxring pot. I have owned the first version of the Jetboil (which has evolved into the Flash). Are these my only stoves? Heck no. Is there one on every trip? Pretty much unless I am doing a light weekend.

They make a nice, integrated unit. Are they they only ones out there? No, but they were the first to offer an integrated system with a heat exchanger to improve efficiency.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

How long have you had the Genesis? I'm thinking about one myself to replace my old GasOne single burner.
I just looked and it’s been right at two years. The flame control is amazing. A low simmer is easy to get. The handles to lift the unit out of the pot can slide out. Not a great design. But, it does store quite compact, which is good as I’m short on space. Also, I replaced the finicky wind shield with a $10 aluminum one from Amazon. Otherwise, I’ve been very happy. Even added the little extension to boil water with my old JetBoil hiking pot.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
How long have you had the Genesis? I'm thinking about one myself to replace my old GasOne single burner.
I just looked and it’s been right at two years. The flame control is amazing. A low simmer is easy to get. The handles to lift the unit out of the pot can slide out. Not a great design. But, it does store quite compact, which is good as I’m short on space. Also, I replaced the finicky wind shield with a $10 aluminum one from Amazon. Otherwise, I’ve been very happy. Even added the little extension to boil water with my old JetBoil hiking pot.
Awesome! One of the guys in my regular group just got one and it put it on my radar. I’ve read some good and not so good reviews, but of the not so good it’s hard to tell how well they treated the unit. Also some were used as a backpackers unit which made me scratch my head a bit..

D

danbrown

I have the JetBoil Genesis 2 burner stove. Love it.
The reasons why and what I changed after research I’ll share.
I originally went with the stove for space savings, control over the flame, and ability to hold two large pans/pots. It did these extremely well!
With some research I found the weak point is the regulator. I replaced it with a Stansport flexible hose and regulator. Never had an issue.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I originally went with the stove for space savings, control over the flame, and ability to hold two large pans/pots. It did these extremely well!
With some research I found the weak point is the regulator. I replaced it with a Stansport flexible hose and regulator. Never had an issue.
I’m a fairly quick learner, but I’ve not changed out gas plumbing before. How difficult would this be for someone who’s never done that? Is it like a one for one kit? Or is “some assembly required”?

Reactions: danbrown
D

danbrown

I’m a fairly quick learner, but I’ve not changed out gas plumbing before. How difficult would this be for someone who’s never done that? Is it like a one for one kit? Or is “some assembly required”?
The regulator is the piece that screws into stove and you connect your gas bottle to it. On the Genesis it’s rigid. I just replaced it with one that has a flexible hose. No plumbing experience required.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
The regulator is the piece that screws into stove and you connect your gas bottle to it. On the Genesis it’s rigid. I just replaced it with one that has a flexible hose. No plumbing experience required.
Ohhh ok, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification! Not sure if l will go the flexible route as I do a lot of winter/cold weather camping. My current hose was so rigid my last trip (mid January) that I had to put under all but my base layer for about 15 minutes just so it would be pliable again. I’ll do some research, but thanks for the recommendation!

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

D

danbrown

If you are just going to boil water (close yer eyes, heresy ahead) just get a Kelly Kettle, never buy fuel again. Build a hot enough fire and water will boil in 2 min. Get the stainless one it holds up to the heat better.

Not all areas allow you to collect or burn natural materials to make a hot enough fire. Especially in wildfire prone regions.

Reactions: Downs

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Not all areas allow you to collect or burn natural materials to make a hot enough fire. Especially in wildfire prone regions.
True dat! I always carry a bucket of kindling from old carpentry projects or pallets I've broken down. It is amazing how much you don't need to boil water in one of these. But you do need something. For no burn areas I have a Coleman single burner white gas stove.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Ohhh ok, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification! Not sure if l will go the flexible route as I do a lot of winter/cold weather camping. My current hose was so rigid my last trip (mid January) that I had to put under all but my base layer for about 15 minutes just so it would be pliable again. I’ll do some research, but thanks for the recommendation!
Knock on wood-in two years I haven’t had any issues with the OEM regulator.

Yeah, not sure using something this big for backpacking is such a smart idea!!

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
If you are just going to boil water (close yer eyes, heresy ahead) just get a Kelly Kettle, never buy fuel again. Build a hot enough fire and water will boil in 2 min. Get the stainless one it holds up to the heat better.

Not enough Overlanding cred as a $300 camp stove.
Lol, if it’s any consolation, I need a new stove and REI dividends need to be spent on something. I have everything else I need unfortunately.

Reactions: Viking1204

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I have a Jet Boil, this has become my new go to… Snow Peak - Home & Camp Burner GS-600BK-US - Designed in Japan, Lightweight and Compact for Camping, Stable Base for Cooking - Black
That was on my radar, but butane is out for me, I do a lot of cold weather camping so propane is the ideal fuel. Excluding liquid fuel & white gas obviously lol.

Reactions: Tundracamper
Sorry if I’m out of the loop but…someone please explain what is the big deal about Jet Boil?
I’ve never had the opportunity to use one so I’m just curious. Enlighten me.
For backpacking. Boils water quick so you use less fuel. Less fuel means less fuel to carry. Not really an issue if your camping from a vehicle but backpacking for several days every once of weight adds up quick.

Reactions: MiamiC70