Jerry Cans -- Wavian

• HTML tutorial

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Good afternoon, all! I have a probably stupid question re: Jerry cans. While I like the concept of the RotoPax, they won't work in my particular situation. As such, I came across these 2.5 gallon cans from Wavian:

However, living in California, are they, 1) Legal, CARB approved? 2) As this is for fuel does it have to be red?

Reason I ask is the red 2.5 gallon ones I want don't seem to be available. Instead there is green, black, blue, yellow.

Just an explanation as to why I am looking for these specifically is, first, they'll fit the space on my roof rack perfectly; 2) They are low profile compared to 5 gallon versions; 3) The weight of the smaller can makes it more easily maneuvered on/off the rack and,; 4) Two smaller tanks allow me to split the weight of one large can strapped to one side or the other - I like balanced loads whenever possible, I'm weird that way!

Any thoughts?

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I have green jerry cans and live in california never had a problem filling them up. They have a new pour spout they sell with them that makes them carb approved, i threw that junk in the trash and use a super siphon to fill my rig. This is where i bought mine a few years ago http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/ they were a lot cheaper before saying carb approved.

Last edited:

Jcast327

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have several of the old USMC blitsz Jerry cans including a smallish one that is like 3 gallons, i enjoy it because its smaller than the 5 gallon version, I mount mine on the roof rack but I dont look it up so most of the time I use a plastic 2 gallon, their is a company called "EZ pour spout" (look on amazon) that sell kits to retro fit current style gas spouts for jerry cans. also super siphon eliminated the need for a pour spout and the need to remove the can from the location.

josh_375

Rank III
Launch Member
Supporter

Enthusiast I

South Mississippi
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Summ
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I personally don't care for RotoPax. I feel they are for looks over function. They are expensive and still can't carry as much as a standard Jerry. And you have to buy the mounting bracket if you want to do it right. Were with a Jerry Can a rubber strap is all you need.

Go to a local Military Surplus and you should be able to get 2 1/2 gallon Jerry for pretty cheap. I've seen them online also

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
As sad as it might seem, I'm old school, very old school. We carry an extra ten gallons with two jerry cans mounted on each side of the trailer. I have them mounted with one of these gizmos and they can be pad locked is one chooses to do so. I can't see myself lifting those things on and off of the roofrack. There is also a bracket you can get that will attach the mount to the rear of your spare tire.. BTW, I completely agree with the previous statement. The RotoPax are very expensive and don't carry enough fuel. With 10 extra gallons we can get, even on a bad day 100 more miles.. DSC01881.jpg mmnBmf7M-S6zeOlgSqeDTPA.jpg

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Reactions: Steve

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
This is the coolest rotopax carrier I've seen on a jeep.

1471026458432.jpg

I may build one for the '80 just because it would be unique!
I have an extra 44 gal capacity aux tank and that's usually enough [emoji12] at 8 mpg.

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I just went through this ordeal recently. I bought a full size wavian diesel can with plans to lug it on the roof (Next to the water can). I filled the water can getting ready for the trip and decided that I was not gonna lug that 7 gal water can and 5 gal diesel can on and off the roof. Not to mention I did not want the sloshing weight up high. I bought my wavian can at overland expo and wish I had gotten 2. Not that I really need to extend my range but I am of the mindset of have it and not need it. That being said I have been struggling with final mounting. Right now I run the cans in one of those tow hitch platforms from Curt. It holds a box of firewood perfectly and the cans also fit in there with me still being able to open my lift gate. Had I seen the 2.5 gallon cans I may have gone that route with the roof mounting as initially envisioned.

Reactions: YYJ-JKUR

Meta6981

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

I was looking at the Wavian cans tonight, are you happy with them Steve?
I use a wavian can. I like it. The one thing i dont like is attachment to use on the self sealing fuel caps on vehicle. It becomes a bit clunky to hold a 5 gal can for 20 min to pour.
but it seals really nicely and i am not worried about dust while in transit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: EvilGenius79237

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I was looking at the Wavian cans tonight, are you happy with them Steve?
Sorry for the confusion. I meant I have four of Deutche Optik's standard cans. They were not Wavian when I bought them. DO had been having their own cans made by a NATO supplier.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I use a wavian can. I like it. The one thing i dont like is attachment to use on the self sealing fuel caps on vehicle. It becomes a bit clunky to hold a 5 gal can for 20 min to pour.
but it seals really nicely and i am not worried about dust while in transit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using OB Talk mobile app
If you have some way to get the can above the level of your filler cap, look at getting a shaker siphon. That's what I've done and the only thing you have to hold is a tube.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Wavian is the go to quality metal nato Jerry can. I have had 6 full size an 2 10L cans for years, they work great! No problems what so ever. I use green for gas, blue for kerosene, and yellow for diesel. The small cans hold mixed fuel for my chainsaws. The gaskets go bad after a few years but are dirt cheap.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If you mount the cans on the roof rack over the fill cap for your vehicle, lowes, home depot and get a siphon hose with the brass fitting on the end and it will suck them dry and you did not have to move them.

Reactions: Michael Kinnett

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Does anyone know if you fill them while they are upright and then when laid on their back open it without spilling? And can they be safely stored on their side while full?

HoffmanMark

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Dallas, Texas, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

My buddy and I each have a Wavian Jerry can. I had them both mounted on top of my 4Runner in a FrontRunners Outfitters dual Jerry can holder. We filled them up in the upright position to the filler cap around 5000'. We did close to 150 miles off-road and not one drop leaked out of either can. When it's time to finally use them open the cap very slowly to allow pressure equalization especially if you've gone thru a lot of elevation changes. This was the first time for us using them and when I went to open one up to empty it into my tank I just popped it open and gasoline splashed out. this was is the vertical position and didnt open them while on its side. We both think the Wavian can will hold up to the Overlanding without issues. we are waiting for cap seals to be back in stock so we can have spares... just in case._DSC0638.JPG