Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I've got two 2.5 gallon Jerry cans attached to the side of my trailer. I bought some military surplus ratchet straps to help hold the cans in their carriers. They looked cool, and they worked great! Top picture.

Until I took the trailer on an adventure (running the WABDR). It was muddy. And I wasn't running mud flaps on the Jeep. The ratchet mechanism got mud encrusted, and they were difficult to loosen-up. Second and third picture.

So I replaced the ratchet straps with some 1.5" wide NRS straps. Sportsman's Warehouse only had the 9' ones in stock, so I had to trim them a little bit (cut with scissors, and then put a lighter to the cut edge to seal it). Last picture.

I think this will work much better the next time I'm out on an adventure with the trailer.

I've used NRS straps (the 1" wide) for other uses and have been impressed with how well they hold tight. I would trust these over the cheaper similar type (non-ratchet) ones you'd get at Harbor Freight.
Gas can strap.1 (2).jpgWABDR.1 (2).jpgWABDR.1 (4).jpgGas Can strap.5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kwill and RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yup the second / new strap looks easier to take on / off. Lighter too, which is a plus.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to swap out the mil-surplus ratchet strap on the back of my Willys for an NRS strap. It doesn't get near as dirty as something mounted on the side of a vehicle (or trailer).

Gas Can strap.3.jpg