Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG
I am looking to purchase an air mattress to use in the back of the WJ (2001 Grand Cherokee). My wife and I may end up using it outside of the Jeep too.

Does anyone have experience with the Pittman Outdoors AirBedz? Or have any other recommendations?

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I am looking to purchase an air mattress to use in the back of the WJ (2001 Grand Cherokee). My wife and I may end up using it outside of the Jeep too.

Does anyone have experience with the Pittman Outdoors AirBedz? Or have any other recommendations?
I don't have have any experience with that mattress but I have used a regular blow up twin bed sized one in the back of my WJ and it wasn't great. Comfort and fit was fine with it for me solo, but the problem is headroom. Once you have that thing blown up in there you don't have any room to sit up for getting dressed or whatever you might need to do. I currently use a backpacking air mattress when sleeping in the back of my WJ, actually we've made the switch and use them in the tent as well. The one I use is the Klymit static V XL, it's only 3"-4" thick and I think it's just as comfortable as a regular blow up mattress. With it being that thin you have plenty of room to sit up and move around. The Klymit might not be the solution for your needs but check thickness before you buy anything then measure your interior height so you know just how much headroom you will be left with. I overlooked that part the first time around when planning to sleep in my WJ and had to reconfigure my setup a little bit. Another thing I did to make sleeping in the back of the Grand a little better was to completely remove the rear seats and built a storage box/sleep arear. Now it's totally flat from the rear hatch to the driver/passenger seat backs with storage in what would have been the under seat area and foot wells. If you want to check out the boxes there is a link to my build in my signature.

Reactions: KS_Explorer

KS_Explorer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Reading, Lyon County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Lowery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0FEG

I don't have have any experience with that mattress but I have used a regular blow up twin bed sized one in the back of my WJ and it wasn't great. Comfort and fit was fine with it for me solo, but the problem is headroom. Once you have that thing blown up in there you don't have any room to sit up for getting dressed or whatever you might need to do. I currently use a backpacking air mattress when sleeping in the back of my WJ, actually we've made the switch and use them in the tent as well. The one I use is the Klymit static V XL, it's only 3"-4" thick and I think it's just as comfortable as a regular blow up mattress. With it being that thin you have plenty of room to sit up and move around. The Klymit might not be the solution for your needs but check thickness before you buy anything then measure your interior height so you know just how much headroom you will be left with. I overlooked that part the first time around when planning to sleep in my WJ and had to reconfigure my setup a little bit. Another thing I did to make sleeping in the back of the Grand a little better was to completely remove the rear seats and built a storage box/sleep arear. Now it's totally flat from the rear hatch to the driver/passenger seat backs with storage in what would have been the under seat area and foot wells. If you want to check out the boxes there is a link to my build in my signature.
Thank you. I had not considered the height issues. I like the idea of using a hiking/backpacking air pad, but my wife would like something thicker. I am probably not going to be able to kill two birds with one stone, and will end up with separate solutions for sleeping in and out of the Grand.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Check out some of the better quality air mattresses, such as the Big Agnes Rapide. You could add a 2” memory foam topper for more comfort. Another thought, if you have adequate cargo space, is a trifold memory foam mattress.