Jeep Wave is dead. Now introducing the Overland Wave!!

• HTML tutorial

Garyindiane

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Dearborn County, Indiana, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Retherford
@Garyindiane Harmless fun is just the thing, "harmless" being rather open to interpretation by the masses. I mean, I don't care if I leave the trail with a few more dents and scratches, but I don't want somebody else's crap touching my truck, be it hands, towels, brushes, keys, or ducks. Respecting others' property means keeping yer grubby hands off the merchandise. I don't touch your car, you don't touch mine.

I've been know to trigger the panic alarm to get strangers to stop leaning on a vehicle I'm using, or to get them to stop using my hood as a dinner table.

Plus, if I don't want your little quackers, I'll be hit for littering if I let them fall off on the roadside, even though I am not the one who set the unwanted debris free into the enviroment. You did that when you put it on my hood, but I'm the one who pays the fine. Real smooth, b*tch.

Make family memories with your own family and your own possessions, not by encouraging disrespect. Down with ducks!
Calm down bud... No one is going to duck your explorer and make you be arrested for littering. :tearsofjoy:

Probably more important stuff for you to worry about. I'll refer back to my statement about people looking for reasons to be offended, and I will see myself out of this thread. Have a good one.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
Due to all the yuppies buying JK/JKU's and dragging them through the 4WD Parts catalog and becoming "elite" or snobbish I don't wave first anymore, it is not worth the effort. Jeep wave is now dead and the "Overland Wave" is now alive!! (I am the originator of that phrase! lol) If you have a modified overland rig or cool rig of any brand, I wave. IMO the Jeep wave, at least in its original form is now dead. It has become that there are too many "snobs" thinking their mall crawling JK makes them more elite than a WJ-XJ-ETC....

So, I propose this:
You see ANY vehicle set up for Overland/Expedition, WAVE!!! And not some half-assed wave, I mean hang out your window and wave at them!! They clearly put the time and work into building it, it should be recognized. The wave is no longer vehicle/model/make specific, it is universal between Overlanders.

Now, Overlanders- GO OUT AND GET YOUR WAVE ON!

JB,
Out.
Great Idea .... Yuppies wave to me in my FJ40 all the time, I guess they can't read the grill in big letters TOYOTA, I never wave unless it's a Jeep girl :)

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
I went hunting the other day and hung a couple of ducks on my 82 Jeep CJ8. I got all kinds of waves (some used their whole hand).

Reactions: PCO6

MiamiC70

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
MiamiC70
Last Name
MiamiC70
Member #

Due to all the yuppies buying JK/JKU's and dragging them through the 4WD Parts catalog and becoming "elite" or snobbish I don't wave first anymore, it is not worth the effort. Jeep wave is now dead and the "Overland Wave" is now alive!! (I am the originator of that phrase! lol) If you have a modified overland rig or cool rig of any brand, I wave. IMO the Jeep wave, at least in its original form is now dead. It has become that there are too many "snobs" thinking their mall crawling JK makes them more elite than a WJ-XJ-ETC....

So, I propose this:
You see ANY vehicle set up for Overland/Expedition, WAVE!!! And not some half-assed wave, I mean hang out your window and wave at them!! They clearly put the time and work into building it, it should be recognized. The wave is no longer vehicle/model/make specific, it is universal between Overlanders.

Now, Overlanders- GO OUT AND GET YOUR WAVE ON!

JB,
Out.
I got a hand gesture I use for “overlanders” already.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
its not just the "jeep wave", but any wave while driving is offensive. first off, a wave is an uninvited form of communication that immediately puts an unwanted burden of responsibility on the recipient to reciprocate the wave. people are not obligated to recognize you, your vehicle, or to join in any of your rituals.

glancing over at the driver next to you at a traffic stop is also offensive. it is an invasion of privacy and considered a "challenge" in many parts of the country and will be met with varying degrees of hostility.

using a turn signal is also a blatant form of aggression. displaying a turn signal is essentially telling the car in that lane that you are coming over into THEIR lane and there is nothing they can do about it. the fact that you would even advertise that with a bright blinking light is pretty much rubbing their nose in it and will be met with varying degrees of hostility.

using mirrors while driving is equally offensive. the people behind you have the right to privacy and its none of your business what they are doing. the fact that there are special tools mounted to the sides of vehicles that allow this have shown just how messed up we have become as a society.

what was once considered a dangerous way to drive, is now the best way to drive...:grinning:

1698422107440.png

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@grubworm Well said! A smooth talker can make any bad idea sound good!

I'm convinced that somebody with such lines of thought must be responsible for the "blind spot indicators" on mirrors, and automatic lane and parking assist, and self-driving cars. The obsoletion of car windows will solve all of the privacy invasion risks associated with occupant-controlled vehicles. We won't worry about who's on the other end of the cameras and microphones inside the cars.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
ha. well, now i have ANOTHER idea for a "jeep wave"...

last week the wife was driving her 2013 jeep sahara. the abs and brake light came on so i hooked up the code reader and found that the abs controller was bad. the jeep is her grocery getter and has 100K on it in 10 years. the jeep is in great shape and we plan on keeping it, so i didnt give it much thought about a complicated electronic part going bad after 10 years. went to the dealership only to find out that the part i need is discontinued and even the dealership cant get one. the abs controller i need is only found on the 2012, 2013, and 2014 models, so my only hope is to find one at a salvage yard somewhere in the 48 states. apparently a lot of repair parts are hard to get now.

so i propose that the "jeep community" go out and buy all the parts you can find and then while driving, jeep owners can use special wave signals indicating to other jeep owners what parts they have/need. kind of like sign language.

the wife can pass another jeep and throw up this sign 1698669967074.png indicating that she needs an abs controller. jeeps passing by can signal to indicate a "i have one" or "i dont have one".

i dont know...maybe a few more years and Mad Max wont seem so science fiction as we fight each other for fuel and parts...
(the guy in the air holding 2 spears needs a radiator cap)

1698676976494.png

Last edited: