Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Williams

Backstory:
We ordered our 2014 Rubicon on 01/23/14 , it arrived to us on 03/27/14. This was our 2nd Wrangler but the first we intended to make modifications to. We made all of the usual mistakes, for instance buying budget chinese parts from our local (national) chain store. Don't get me wrong, they did their job for a while but we learned our lesson about quality.

Our goal:
This build is probably not a "typical" Jeep build for overland. It's part dual purpose play toy, part trail runner. The style is inspired from a 1983 Jeep CJ Renegade.
Our main goal is to have an overbuilt rig that can go anywhere. When we travel it's usually me, my wife and our Australian Shepherd Jax. On occasion we'll have an adult child (6 of them) or grand baby with us. The Jeep will not house anything except for passengers and tools/recovery items. We'll invest in an off-road trailer and RTT soon.

Where we are now:
As I type this introduction our Jeep is on jack stands in the shop patiently waiting for me to finish this phase on the build and get some trail time in.
Parts we're installing
  • 2005 Ford SD Dana 60
  • 2001 Chevrolet 14 Bolt
  • Artec axle truss, mounts & high steer arms
  • RPM Steering aluminum tie rod/drag link
  • Core 4x4 control arms and track bars
  • Metalcloak coils
  • Poison Spyder front aluminum fenders
  • Genright rear 0" aluminum fenders
  • VKS Fab weld on rock rails
  • Cooper STT Pro in 40x13.5x17
  • Vison D wheels, custom powder coat
  • Dual piston brakes
  • Powerstop brake kits
  • New braided brake lines

Where we're going:
Once this phase is done we'll set our sites on an LT/10 speed swap. The gain in gears and horsepower will help in trailer towing duties and overall economy, as well as more reliable than the Jeep 3.6 Pentastar.
Additional long range fuel tank is in the plan, but we haven't decided which way to go.

Here's a few pics of the progress:

And a pic of said wife and dog (in her Jeep)

1636636126931.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Todd32x

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Beckley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3THB
Service Branch
US Marine Corps

Backstory:
We ordered our 2014 Rubicon on 01/23/14 , it arrived to us on 03/27/14. This was our 2nd Wrangler but the first we intended to make modifications to. We made all of the usual mistakes, for instance buying budget chinese parts from our local (national) chain store. Don't get me wrong, they did their job for a while but we learned our lesson about quality.

Our goal:
This build is probably not a "typical" Jeep build for overland. It's part dual purpose play toy, part trail runner. The style is inspired from a 1983 Jeep CJ Renegade.
Our main goal is to have an overbuilt rig that can go anywhere. When we travel it's usually me, my wife and our Australian Shepherd Jax. On occasion we'll have an adult child (6 of them) or grand baby with us. The Jeep will not house anything except for passengers and tools/recovery items. We'll invest in an off-road trailer and RTT soon.

Where we are now:
As I type this introduction our Jeep is on jack stands in the shop patiently waiting for me to finish this phase on the build and get some trail time in.
Parts we're installing
  • 2005 Ford SD Dana 60
  • 2001 Chevrolet 14 Bolt
  • Artec axle truss, mounts & high steer arms
  • RPM Steering aluminum tie rod/drag link
  • Core 4x4 control arms and track bars
  • Metalcloak coils
  • Poison Spyder front aluminum fenders
  • Genright rear 0" aluminum fenders
  • VKS Fab weld on rock rails
  • Cooper STT Pro in 40x13.5x17
  • Vison D wheels, custom powder coat
  • Dual piston brakes
  • Powerstop brake kits
  • New braided brake lines

Where we're going:
Once this phase is done we'll set our sites on an LT/10 speed swap. The gain in gears and horsepower will help in trailer towing duties and overall economy, as well as more reliable than the Jeep 3.6 Pentastar.
Additional long range fuel tank is in the plan, but we haven't decided which way to go.

Here's a few pics of the progress:

And a pic of said wife and dog (in her Jeep)

View attachment 215506

That rig is a beast! Well done!

• Love
Reactions: BlueBabySound

BlueBabySound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Williams
Got the rear axle to the paint shop for paint. By paint shop I mean I rolled it outside and shot it with some Rustoleum LOL

Rear axle is installed and 3 out of 4 wheels/tires are on the ground, only have one of the old hubs with bearings in it.

RPM 1 ton aluminum tie rod is installed and made the first toe adjustment. Buggered up the bolt on the drag link so it will need to wait.

BlueBabySound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Williams
Tone rings welded to the new rear hubs
Additional bumpstops ordered
Antirock ordered
Rear ABS sensors ordered
Never had a press so I picked one up and will be pressing in new bearings on the rear hubs.
Decided to have my local shop do the gears, they've treated me right for years and I trust them to do it better than I can.
Hopefully have it to them next week.

BlueBabySound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Williams
Jeep is on the ground and heading to our local shop tomorrow. (Harmon 4x4 in Tulsa)
They have a stack of parts waiting on him; 5.38 gears, Eaton e-clocker up front, Grizzly in the back and some 1550 front shafts.