Rank III

Enthusiast I

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Roman
Last Name
Zherebnenkov
Member #

So I’m wanting to install a light bar on the front of the Pioneer Rack with lights on the sides and a chase bar on the back, what I’m curious is if someone has done this and they could give me some suggestions on how they ran the Wiring. I’ve seen some people drill them through the roof but then how to you do the water proofing. And if not drilled how did you run the wiring to make it still look good? Thoughts? Ideas? Pictures of what you did?

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

Romiska

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Roman
Last Name
Zherebnenkov
Member #

@brien does a very good job explaining this on his JL.

This is to install a light bar when you have it mounted on the brackets, I don’t have that, if you look at the pictures mine doesn’t have that. I’m looking for how to run wire with a Pioneer rack, and mounting the light bar and lights on the rack itself

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This is to install a light bar when you have it mounted on the brackets, I don’t have that, if you look at the pictures mine doesn’t have that. I’m looking for how to run wire with a Pioneer rack, and mounting the light bar and lights on the rack itself
It’s exactly the same way...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You still run the wire up the windshield frame to the roof rack.

or use the same parts @brien used and just drill holes in the roof...

Reactions: 64Trvlr

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

So I’m wanting to install a light bar on the front of the Pioneer Rack with lights on the sides and a chase bar on the back, what I’m curious is if someone has done this and they could give me some suggestions on how they ran the Wiring. I’ve seen some people drill them through the roof but then how to you do the water proofing. And if not drilled how did you run the wiring to make it still look good? Thoughts? Ideas? Pictures of what you did?
I’m in the same boat as I just got a Pioneer Rack as well. If you had a full length rack you could run the wiring in between the windshield by loosening the window bolts and leaning it in to run the wiring behind the windshield frame and then closing it back up. Unfortunately with the Rhino Rack you would still need to run the wire from the top of the windshield to behind the Freedom Panels and there is no real nice way to do that.

Most people drill a hole and run the wire through a rubber grommet with some sealing caulk.

I am currently considering a drill less method that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere. I had got the idea while seeing this rear light bracket.

If you look at the rear window hinges you can see there is an opening where the window meets the hinge at the top where you could run wiring through. The rubber window gasket at the rear has a large gap running the full length down to the bottom where it meets the tailgate and at that low point you can run wiring from inside the cab all the way through the gasket gap to the hinge area. The stock wiring to the shell originates from a plastic panel at the rear on the driver side and there is room in the hole where that wiring emerges to run another set of wires as well. Once inside the plastic panels then wiring can be run pretty much anywhere such as an internal wiring unit or to the engine compartment to the aux wiring leads.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I custom built my rack and am pretty happy with it. We included light tabs in the front, sides in two places and the rear. I have not added lights yet, but will do so this winter. In short, I am running wiring similar to how the hardtop rear wiper wiring is run (with a quick disconnect) except it will come out through the roof top with a grommet and sealer, leaving at most 4" of exposed wire between the roof exit and rack entrance.

The wiring will be run inside the tubing of the rack to its designated points: 40" light bar in front, 2" cubes adjacent the bar facing outward (ditch), 2" cubes in the back. When we made the rack, we made sure there was no obstructions in welding that allowed the wires to be snaked from back to front. By doing it up front and not drilling, you ahve to deal with trying to get the seals done properly on the freedom panels which can be a pain in the ass, plus it is exposed when you take the panels off. I can remove my panels without issue. I can remove my roof with the rack attached without issue.

Reactions: Romiska

Romiska

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Roman
Last Name
Zherebnenkov
Member #

I custom built my rack and am pretty happy with it. We included light tabs in the front, sides in two places and the rear. I have not added lights yet, but will do so this winter. In short, I am running wiring similar to how the hardtop rear wiper wiring is run (with a quick disconnect) except it will come out through the roof top with a grommet and sealer, leaving at most 4" of exposed wire between the roof exit and rack entrance.

The wiring will be run inside the tubing of the rack to its designated points: 40" light bar in front, 2" cubes adjacent the bar facing outward (ditch), 2" cubes in the back. When we made the rack, we made sure there was no obstructions in welding that allowed the wires to be snaked from back to front. By doing it up front and not drilling, you ahve to deal with trying to get the seals done properly on the freedom panels which can be a pain in the ass, plus it is exposed when you take the panels off. I can remove my panels without issue. I can remove my roof with the rack attached without issue.
You have some pics?