james57

Rank 0

Contributor I

Vancouver, BC, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Goss
I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me.
If not answer directly maybe point me to where I can ask this question.
I have a 2021 Jeep E Torque model that doesn't use a alternator, uses a generator.
To hook up the Renogy battery charger I need to know what the generator output is.
Renogy 30A is less than 100A
Renogy 50A is more than 100A

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

The eTorque generator doesn’t directly charge the 12v battery instead it charges a 48v battery which has a separate dc-to-dc converter to charge the 12v battery. I don’t know the specs off hand for that dc converter but it will be well above 100A and very likely at least 240A as the standard generator. At any rate more is better when charging your battery and you should size the Renogy unit to the amperage you will be feeding it from solar (I assume you’re doing that) as the 12v battery will have no problem with that.

james57

Rank 0

Contributor I

Vancouver, BC, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Goss
The eTorque generator doesn’t directly charge the 12v battery instead it charges a 48v battery which has a separate dc-to-dc converter to charge the 12v battery. I don’t know the specs off hand for that dc converter but it will be well above 100A and very likely at least 240A as the standard generator. At any rate more is better when charging your battery and you should size the Renogy unit to the amperage you will be feeding it from solar (I assume you’re doing that) as the 12v battery will have no problem with that.
I would presume then the charge going to the 12V battery would be a smart charge system.
Would a small solar system give more than 100A?
For sizing Renogy shows this.
I know they show alternator but amps are amps.
1701314327130.png

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

For every 100W of solar you will need 9A at 12 volts so you won’t exceed 100A unless you have a whole RV roof of panels. I think the main factor in your decision is if you are using that charger to charge another house battery in addition to the vehicle battery and what amp limits might come into play there. I am unfamiliar with the Renogy units to provide any input on that. If the cost differential between the 50A and 30A is negligible I would just get the larger one as it would provide more headroom and flexibility should you need it.

Reactions: james57

james57

Rank 0

Contributor I

Vancouver, BC, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Goss
For every 100W of solar you will need 9A at 12 volts so you won’t exceed 100A unless you have a whole RV roof of panels. I think the main factor in your decision is if you are using that charger to charge another house battery in addition to the vehicle battery and what amp limits might come into play there. I am unfamiliar with the Renogy units to provide any input on that. If the cost differential between the 50A and 30A is negligible I would just get the larger one as it would provide more headroom and flexibility should you need it.
Sounds like good advice, also the 50amp model comes with battery temp sensor to make sure not trying to charge battery when to cold.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Read the specs on their controllers. I don't remember which one was the last one I bought (Rover?). I do know it was a 30amp. Their products have quite a number of great features. I recently replaced one of mine not because it was bad but I wanted an updated version with a display. As @socal66 mentioned, your not getting much current out of the panel. With my roof mounted panels, having the sun directly overhead, I get about 7amp on a 100 watt fixed (not flex) panel. I get around 15 amp on my 200 watt flex, mounted on my trailer.

Smallest you want is 20 amp and the only reason you need to go bigger is if the bigger one has a feature you want, the lesser one doesn't have.