Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

Formalizing hiker trailer build, I want portable power not a battery, trying to decide between these 2 brands, thoughts?

steve

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Ive got a jackery and I have no complaints with it. Runs my fridge and other power needs when out on the trail.

Reactions: Coreymol

dg333

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

Ive got a jackery and I have no complaints with it. Runs my fridge and other power needs when out on the trail.
what model are you using? most likely not going to be using with fridge, just fans and stuff like that

steve

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

I have a Jackery 1000w, I chose this for size , weight (22lb) and single hand carry handle. powers my fridge (snowmaster) for almost four full days. Don't have a single complaint does everything it's suppose too.

BFG.dnews

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Seneca, Oconee County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Newsome
Member #

Recently researched a bunch of different power packs. I landed on the Jackery 500 b/c it works for my basic needs … Snomaster fridge primarily but also provides for daily charging needs for tablet, phone, and GoPros. It makes for a pretty simple travel set up. Doesn’t take much space, is relatively light weight and the quality is good.

Reactions: Tundracamper

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So if you're looking for a portable solution, these are both great options. Honestly, I feel like the jackery is a better value for the money. The only thing I would worry about is whether or not the 12v port is regulated or not. If not, the output voltage will drop as the battery depletes. This will cause your fridge to turn off BEFORE your battery is depleted.

You can get around this by wiring a voltage stabilizer inline. I used a relative cheap one to get more juice out of my rockpals 540w battery. Gives me about 48 hours of use even when it's hot this way.

Something like this would do the trick:

DROK Waterproof 60W Automatic Step Up Down Voltage Regulator Stabilizer 10V-36V to 12V 5A Buck Boost Power Converter 12V Volts Regulator for Fan Motor

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I run a Jackery 300. At 70ish degrees it'll run my 21 quart fridge for about 50 hours on it's own. It's plenty for my uses. I'll rarely be in a spot for multiple days in a row and can charge off the Jeep but I've also got one of their 100 watt panels I got on sale and can throw that up if I happen to stay longer to supplement. Worst case scenario I fire up the Jeep and use it like a big inefficient generator lol.

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Yeti 400 with Rockfolds 100w panel. Chose Yeti because they had a promo. Their customer service was awesome. I had an issue-not fault of theirs and they replaced it without questions ask that same week.

200LC

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Hord
Member #

@reaver I ran a test on my Jackery to see how many days it would run my fridge from full charge. It ran almost 4 full days, (I wasn't opening and closing it) but the fridge did not turn off, I ran the Jackery down to 5% charge, hope this helps

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@reaver I ran a test on my Jackery to see how many days it would run my fridge from full charge. It ran almost 4 full days, (I wasn't opening and closing it) but the fridge did not turn off, I ran the Jackery down to 5% charge, hope this helps
Perhaps the Jackery 1000w 12v output is regulated? Either way, if OP buys one that's not, it's not the end of the world. Just something to be aware of, is all I'm saying.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have no dog in the hunt for any brand really and expect they are all pretty solid units. That being said when I purchased I bought the Bluetti for the simple fact it used the Lithium Iron battery which can be recharged (their claim) up to 2,500 times and still retain 80%. Assuming all other aspects of quality the same the battery life expectancy certainly comes into play. I got the EB70 which is 700w (and now for some reason and for the same price they have the EB70S which is 800w).

Reactions: RAMf1 and Coreymol

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I think you’re going to get essentially the same efficiency with either brand. I chose Yeti Goal Zero just because they are more established. But I know people who have Jackery systems and say they’re just as good. Bluetti is also a good option imo. Ecoflow and Renergy as well. But I have no input to price point and/or efficiency.

dg333

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

thanks all for input, this will only be to run some interior lights on trailer and possibly a max fan, still undecided on that, hiker is running a 12v male for me to run the trailer stuff off of. There is 110 shore power for everything else

steve

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
Yeti = don't bother - it's overpriced.

I have had two Jackery devices and they're fine. I recently switched to EcoFlow and overall I'm more happy with them - much MUCH faster charging and a better form factor IMO. Larger (surge) output too. Having the 110V sockets on the other side of the device might be a little annoying to some, but I don't mind. Definitely check them out.

D

danbrown

When I looked for a power station I ended up going with a Bluetti EB70 (800w) over Jackery for two main reasons. First, the price. Second, the battery types. Jackery still uses Lithium batteries which has a lifecycle of 500 cycles before it drops to 80%. Bluetti uses a LiFePO4 battery, which is good for 2500+ cycles before reducing to 80%. The Bluetti also has more ports, and the handle fold flat into the top making it easier to store.

Sorry for tossing in a 3rd choice, but I thought I’d share the positive experience with Bluetti.

ontos

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Shepherd
I run a Bluetti EB240. Has been great running the fridge for up to a week. Solar integration is really easy with built in MPPT charger. The 110 outlets happily charge laptops etc. A little slow to charge on shore power, but huge capacity for the money. I think some of their newer units are even more appealing.

A.K. Forister

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Amy
Last Name
Forister
Member #

I run a Jackery 500. The 12 volt port is regulated (addressing an earlier concern). I use it to power a fridge and it does very well.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the Jackery has a molded fixed handle on top. This means you can't stack it or put anything on top of it. You probably wouldn't want to do that when it's running anyway. But even when storing it, it takes up more space than it needs to. Just a thought...

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I suggest to study too one other competitor on the market: Ecoflow. This grafik is a bit outdated, but still shows the important values for us overlanders:

And here Ecoflow is better as the competitors:

- Wall charging time
- Solarcharger (if MPPT technology & how much Power it accept.
- Strong USB-C Charger (will power up most portable computers & gear)

I suggest to study the Datasheet of all three brands with the models you like. Probably it leads to the better product.

This is my current setup, what works quite well:

Vanlife offgrid power solution with solar

trippin
I reached about the same conclusion. All this devices like Yeti, Jackery and other Chinese siblings have a huge flaw - the charging time. They can't absorb even the 10 amps that a 12v cigarette plug can deliver. On solar is not much better. The ECo Flo thing is really the best option out there for devices like this .