It doesn't matter what you drive?

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I guess we're out to prove that. I have owned a 4x4 since the late 90s, when I first began driving. What has changed?

Well, we had a wreck. A new driver ran a stop sign and totaled our 2007 FJ Cruiser that we have been building for the last 5 years. Initial impact was on the front passenger side. It spun the FJ 180°, causing a secondary impact. Every side of the FJ wound up damaged, but having no gushing blood or broken bones, my nephew and I walked away.

E22C242C-B00F-4A47-B451-C7C70DF0FA2F.jpg

I am currently working with a lawyer. I'm being as honest in this process as I can. I have a binder full of receipts for any aftermarket parts that aren't removable or undamaged, plus pics from the scene and after I removed whatever I was able to.

Still, I need to be made whole. I need an equally-capable and equally-outfitted rig to pick up where I left off, plus there's some injuries that need attending to. At 40, my own dents aren't popping out quite as quickly as when I was younger.

So, what I am doing for the time being? Well, when my dad passed away a couple years ago, he left behind a raggedy-looking GMC Sonoma. It's the same truck as the more-familiar S-10. He paid $400 for it some years ago. We rebuilt the inline 4, freshened up what we could on the interior, and worked on a few other odds and ends.

Now, since it's all I have, I've ordered new tires and everything I need for a tune up and an oil change. After that, I expect this pickup will be rather reliable. Not having any alternative, the statement that has echoed in my mind the last couple of days was, "It doesn't matter what you drive..."

Search for #ob6632 as I'm taking that to heart. This initial RTT frame is not what I would prefer, just what I can afford. I really need to get out to clearing my head and enjoying the cooler temps. I'll share the final design later, but it will end with the whole bed water-resistant. The decal on the back window was his motto as he was going through chemo and radiation. Oddly enough, I now understand that he left that as a reminder for us - his wife, kids, and grandchildren. It is pretty cool how looking at it through the back glass makes it reversed, but the rearview mirror flips it once again, so that it is always readable when driving.

As for the Sonoma, we'll see how it does!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Glad you are both still with us! Let the lawyers figure out the compensation, you work on healing and getting back out there.

It definitely does not matter what you drive. If it's reliable and gets you where you want to be, go with it. Who knows, you might enjoy the change of platform and end up wanting to stay with a pickup? BTW good choice of frosty beverages. Cheers.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

You bring up considerations we should all have, that being agreed value with our insurer before the accident.
I think the S10 is very cool.

Make a point of stripping all the non stock FJ parts immediately. Insurers like to steal it all.

Reactions: Kevin108

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I don't expect a 110 hp 2wd 4-cylinder to take me to all the places I've been before, but I am looking forward to seeing where I wind up within its limitations!

I feel certain I will return to the Prado 120 platform, but the level has yet to be determined.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

You bring up considerations we should all have, that being agreed value with our insurer before the accident.
I think the S10 is very cool.

Make a point of stripping all the non stock FJ parts immediately. Insurers like to steal it all.
Everything I can get off is in my garage. The lift, sliders, rear receiver, alternator, trans cooler, etc. are just going to have to be made part of the settlement.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Your FJ did its job. That is to protect you and your family. You are fine. I went through the same thing in 1998. I got hit head on on the highway by someone travelling way to fast for the slushy, icy conditions we were in at the time. It wrote off my 1995 F150. Everything was in super slow motion. I watched the airbag inflate stay inflated for what seemed like a minute and deflate again. The one thing I did wrong that I will not do again is brace myself for impact. My back to this day is severely messed up from that. I am fine otherwise. Be thankful you are on two feet!

Now to that freakin cool sonoma. Lift, bigger tires, locker in the rear. You will go MANY places with that setup. You may want to install a front and rear 2" receiver with a cradle winch to get you out of those special spots. As for the 4cyl. it will haul you around no problem, but it may be a little longer to get there. I would LOVE to have an older S10 like that to build. I think they are cool as all get out. I had a S10 based blazer back in the day. actually 2, one 2wd and one 4wd. Have to add that to my rides list.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Honestly a big fan of that platform and was about to build one into a v8 crawler just before the pandemic hit.

Good luck to you on your new adventure and best wishes to you and your nephew.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
And then you can join in the 2wd discussions.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised just how many many places you can still go.

Can not wait to see the first trip

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I went through the same 4 years ago. Glad your guys are safe.The value of the FJ wil not be fully covered. They put a dollar amount even with the mods, the real value to you will never be recovered, sorry. Go play with your next truck and begin to dream about what is next.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Nice !!

I really like the fitting to fit a milk crate.
On time, on budget, a rare thing today.

Reactions: Kevin108

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Now to that freakin cool sonoma. Lift, bigger tires, locker in the rear. You will go MANY places with that setup. You may want to install a front and rear 2" receiver with a cradle winch to get you out of those special spots. As for the 4cyl. it will haul you around no problem, but it may be a little longer to get there. I would LOVE to have an older S10 like that to build. I think they are cool as all get out. I had a S10 based blazer back in the day. actually 2, one 2wd and one 4wd. Have to add that to my rides list.
The little Sonoma is just going to stay stock, aside from some minor TLC. New tires, new plugs and wires, and an oil change so far. I've got a new O2 sensor sitting on the work bench to address a P0420 code. Still needs driver side door pins and a front shocks. All in due time. But I am shopping for a proper replacement for the FJ. Got something in mind and been on a few test drives, but the insurance company and credit union are dragging things out.

I went through the same 4 years ago. Glad your guys are safe.The value of the FJ wil not be fully covered. They put a dollar amount even with the mods, the real value to you will never be recovered, sorry. Go play with your next truck and begin to dream about what is next.
I was able to remove some things, but others were rust siezed or inaccessible from damage. As it stands, I've lost about $4,000 from this, not counting my labor for crafting and installing mods. I had receipts for everything, but the payout is only 30¢ on the dollar. It's definitely a bad position to find yourself in.

As for the trip...

It wound up being a short 3-day run, but at 23 mpg, it was certainly my most affordable trip yet. Trying to be smart, I didn't take the truck too far from camp. I haven't tracked down another rim yet, so I'm lacking a fullsize spare. I was pretty comfortable while I was there though. We hiked miles all around the area, swam in the river, cleaned up the camp site, had a nightly fire, and just enjoyed camp life for a few days.

Last edited: