Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Looking for some folks who know of something like this, or some mechanical engineers who could help with designing it...

I need (want) an air tool I can hook onto my ARB compressor and air-up to a pre-set PSI at which point the compressor (or air flow) would stop. The goal is to air-up without constantly checking pressures (I have the ARB tool and it is a POS).
Is this possible to make? I know the fluctuation of pressure output from the compressor might not make this type of device possible without a damper of some sort (like an aux tank) to help keep the pressures constant.
I know the tire shops can do this but I'm not sure how it all works (electrical guy, not mechanical).

So, any help you guys can lend would be awesome!

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
The struggle is real. I use an all-at-once air-up hose manifold arrangement. I use a pressure regulator in an attempt to do what you're describing, but it's fiddly and largely inaccurate.
I have given some thought as to how to do this but now that I know that someone else is thinking about this, I will give it some more thought.
Simple is better.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I'm thinking that this might be a fun system to put together myself. I'm ready to permanently mount my ARB compressor and once my new rear bumper arrives I'll move the spare to the swing out and have room for a 2.5 gallon air tank in its old position. I could put a pressure relay on the tank set at 32-35 PSI and put its output inline with the switch circuit of the compressor, thus killing it when the entire system pressure reaches the set point.

I'm thinking of making a hose with 3 or even 6 connection points so I can hook up, and air up the rig and trailer in one evolution. I've already been playing with these connections for the kit:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
This is basically the system that I have built for my truck. I have a quick-disconnect on each bumper with the on-board compressor plumbed to those.
I then attach each side (rear bumper to the driver side, front bumper to the pass side) with a hose to the front and rear tire, and then open the valve as the compressor runs.
On the output to the line as it leaves the compressor, I have a pressure regulator that I can adjust but with long lines to each tire, i have found significant variability in pressures, so I still check each tire after I'm done.
I think the pressure regulator point is where I can up my game. I think with a more accurate pressure regulator I could narrow in on the target pressure at the tires.
It's all a game to me now!

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland