Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

All,
As @Cendee mentioned, please review the community guidelines. If this thread continues to devolve into name calling I will close it, and take whatever further action is needed on individuals involved. Please be respectful to one another. If you have an axe to grind, do it in private, and do it appropriately.
Thank you Chris

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I think you misunderstood me. It is not your planning/researching, leave no trace/tread lightly practices that gives the community a bad name. It is your pretentious, high and mighty, a-hole attitude that gives the bad name. If OB consists of people like you then I don't want anything to do with it! I am not condoning A-Aron's actions nor am I criticizing them. I don't know his circumstances or thoughts. What I do know is attitudes like yours diminishes the value of OB and ostracizes people.
Amen, I don't know why Blue Falcon is so upset over a comedy of errors or mistakes that he admits to doing himself while learning. Do unto others I will remind everyone. I think we all understand his position but his likability kinda stinks with his know it all , others be damned attitude. I also will ask him to please stay away from the voting booth and to go on his trips alone if human mistakes bothers him that much. I kindly remind everyone "you cant fix stupid" ! !
GB, please make note of the fact that Blue Falcon is a new member, as I am, and you will probably never meet up with him unless by accident. I'm talking about one person, not the group as a whole. May we all learn together how to respect another's views without becoming unglued. I think you will find many more people to like than to dislike in OB, so please don't judge the group by one person. I could say the same to Blue Falcon.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
All,
As @Cendee mentioned, please review the community guidelines. If this thread continues to devolve into name calling I will close it, and take whatever further action is needed on individuals involved. Please be respectful to one another. If you have an axe to grind, do it in private, and do it appropriately.
If you find anything I say offensive, please let me know. and I will voluntarily remove myself. I practice free speech and invite all opinions less the nastiness in attitude. I chose to be civil but I don't mind sarcasm in a humorous way. I chose brotherhood of the OB members with unity of thought and deed.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

If you find anything I say offensive, please let me know. and I will voluntarily remove myself. I practice free speech and invite all opinions less the nastiness in attitude. I chose to be civil but I don't mind sarcasm in a humorous way. I chose brotherhood of the OB members with unity of thought and deed.
I might have missed it but I don't recall you name calling so you are in the clear. Name calling is my concern here, as it is one of the guidelines listed in that document. I have no problem with folks discussing issues here. We just ask that everyone stick to the community guidelines.

Reactions: Chadlyb and Cendee

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I might have missed it but I don't recall you name calling so you are in the clear. Name calling is my concern here, as it is one of the guidelines listed in that document. I have no problem with folks discussing issues here. We just ask that everyone stick to the community guidelines.
Well I did say "you cant fix stupid" but I meant that to apply to anyone's actions with out applying it to the incident in the discussion. Accidents do happen and we cant carry a trailer behind us with every part that can break when we are out in the boonies. I believe That A-Aron did the best he could with what he had and the situation he was in. If he hasn't made arrangements to pick up his Diff from Monkey yet I don't think that is a crime. I don't know when this incident occurred but I know that if I left a part behind and I lived far away. It might take some time to be able to make arrangements and financially afford to return quickly. It's not like the guy planned to break down or to not have enough mechanical knowledge to make a better judgement on what to do about fixing the problem. Trash is a problem anywhere you go but a diff in the desert isn't trash per sae, it's more like modern history and will be dealt with in some fashion similar to other remedies I have seen with collecting car parts at Moab. The man did report the incident to the authorities to my satisfaction and without Blue Falcons need to worry. A note to Monkey, if A-Aron doesn't want the diff I think it may be worth enough to cover your cost of retrieval, thanks for the heroics, you may have a buddy who needs the parts for his rig.

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

I think he is referring to me. Although, technically, I did not call anyone names. What I did say was that BF's post made him sound like an ass and that his a-hole attitude ostracizes people. The objects of those statements were his post, and attitude respectfully. But anyway, I heed the warning and will refrain from "name calling" and just stick to going out of my way to publically shame and belittle people for leaving trash on the trail. [emoji57]

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think he is referring to me. Although, technically, I did not call anyone names. What I did say was that BF's post made him sound like an ass and that his a-hole attitude ostracizes people. The objects of those statements were his post, and attitude respectfully. But anyway, I heed the warning and will refrain from "name calling" and just stick to going out of my way to publically shame and belittle people for leaving trash on the trail. [emoji57]
I totally agree with your opinion and I feel you have the right to express it freely.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

@A-Aron After this long discussion thread, it would be very encouraging to see you step up and resolve the issue once and for all. Having you recover the axle and fenders would certainly silence your critics decisively, and would reflect well on you and on Overland Bound as an organization. I hope that's what you decide to do in the near future.

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

@A-Aron After this long discussion thread, it would be very encouraging to see you step up and resolve the issue once and for all. Having you recover the axle and fenders would certainly silence your critics decisively, and would reflect well on you and on Overland Bound as an organization. I hope that's what you decide to do in the near future.
How about we let @A-Aron and the park authorities settle the matter on their own. If one does not feel that that is adequate feel free to hop off the keyboard and take a trip to Death Valley and pick it up. While they're at it they can hit up the Mojave Road and pick-up all of the gnomes, frogs, dolls, marbles, and old cars that careless people have just dumped along the road. [emoji57]

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It would be encouraging for me to see A-Aron's critics mind their own farms !1

Reactions: GB Fraggle

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
How about we let @A-Aron and the park authorities settle the matter on their own. If one does not feel that that is adequate feel free to hop off the keyboard and take a trip to Death Valley and pick it up. While they're at it they can hit up the Mojave Road and pick-up all of the gnomes, frogs, dolls, marbles, and old cars that careless people have just dumped along the road. [emoji57]
A M E N

Blue Falcon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I sat on my hands for quite a while during this whole evolution. I knew quite soon after the incident that the axle and fenders were in Dedeckera Canyon. I know if I had been in a similar occurrence I would have done what is necessary to retrive anything left behind. I was patient and waited for it to be taken care of. Even after reading the excuses made I didn't feel it was worth sharing my commentary. At what point is one's word not to be taken as truth?

To be chastised for promoting a leave no trace attitude on a forum that puts forth good stewardship is amusing to me. Throw the stones. I called out things based on fact. Not assumptions. Even if the logistics were truly the biggest impediment to recovering the items left behind, truly contacting the NPS &/or Millers Towing would have remedied the issue quickly and there would be nothing further to discuss. This is not the case.

Off-roading and camping is nothing new. Model-Ts were used in places where they weren't initially designed to go. They camped too. Before that it was on foot or in the saddle. Within the past ten years the whole overlanding/expedition craze has encouraged more and more people to venture where they may not have gone in the past. I desire no label or medals for the places I've experienced. My ego is intact without any fanfare. Others are different. Unfortunately with the influx of people and vehicles and the self-centered outlook that all is accessible regardless of regulations will lead to closures. I don't want public lands closed nor give the uber-environmentalists any ammunition to help close access.

You will never find my catholes and you need not worry about how I vote. Be worried about those who leave shit tickets and TP streamers in the wild and those who do not read the ballot measures they vote on or research the people whom they chose to have represent them in government.

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I was well aware of the technicality of your post and thus didn't remove it as it didn't contradict the guidelines. My warning, as I had written it, was to not let the thread devolve further and begin name calling. nobody is being singled out. it was just a friendly reminder as the direction of the thread seemed to be downhill. everyone can carry on. nobody is in trouble. just a friendly reminder.

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

@Blue Falcon you should probably keep sitting on those hands it suits you better. If you knew the stuff was there shortly after it happened, why didn't you go pick it up?? You are so quick to tell everyone how well you clean up after yourself, but hell be damned if you pick up someone else's stuff. I guess that is the way of the Blue Falcon; toot your own horn then keyboard coach those who don't rise to your level of greatness.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I sat on my hands for quite a while during this whole evolution. I knew quite soon after the incident that the axle and fenders were in Dedeckera Canyon. I know if I had been in a similar occurrence I would have done what is necessary to retrive anything left behind. However, after reading the excuses made I didn't feel it was worth sharing my commentary. To be chastised for promoting a leave no trace attitude on a forum that puts forth good stewardship is amusing to me. Throw the stones. I called out things based on fact. Not assumptions. Even if the logistics were truly the biggest impediment to recovering the items left behind, truly contacting the NPS &/or Millers Towing would have remedied the issue quickly and there would be nothing further to discuss. This is not the case.

Off-roading and camping is nothing new. Model-Ts were used in places where they weren't initially designed to go. They camped too. Before that it was on foot or in the saddle. Within the past ten years the whole overlanding/expedition craze has encouraged more and more people to venture where they may not have gone in the past. I desire no label or medals for the places I've experienced. My ego is intact without any fanfare. Others are different. Unfortunately with the influx of people and vehicles and the self-centered outlook that all is accessible regardless of regulations will lead to closures. I don't want public lands closed nor give the uber-environmentalists any ammunition to help close access.

You will never find my catholes and you need not worry about how I vote. Be worried about those who leave shit tickets and TP streamers in the wild and those who do not read the ballot measures they vote on or research the people whom they chose to have represent them in government.
I can do nothing but agree with your final statement. That is what I meant when I said "you cant fix stupid". A-Aron did nothing stupid either. He did what he was supposed to do at the time and I believe he is trying to rectify this issue, just not fast enough to suit you it seems. Monkey Junk has helped him already and didn't seem to mind storing the diff on his property and said he had even forgotten about it. Others have offered suggestions for the removal of the fenders and if A-Aron doesn't hurry up they will end up on someone else's trailer when they find them. I guarantee they wont be there long any way it goes. The T.P. you talk about no one will touch and in my opinion is as bad as beer cans strung up and down every road or highway in the world. Lighten up my friend, the world has not yet come to an end and never will over a hunk of steel laying around in DV for a few months.

Reactions: GB Fraggle

Blue Falcon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

@Blue Falcon you should probably keep sitting on those hands it suits you better. If you knew the stuff was there shortly after it happened, why didn't you go pick it up?? You are so quick to tell everyone how well you clean up after yourself, but hell be damned if you pick up someone else's stuff. I guess that is the way of the Blue Falcon; toot your own horn then keyboard coach those who don't rise to your level of greatness.
GB you are a quick emotional one aren't you? Do you always expect others to be responsible for your errors? Neither do I. I waited for the responsible party to do what is expected of those who venture off road. I have picked up a lot of trash in the wilds and at home. I was raised to do so. I was also taught not to litter.

Lighten up Francis. I'm told to sit on my hands yet am not allowed to question anything? That's good discourse.

Monkey Proof stated that he had not been contacted as of yet. This whole event happened when? January? How long should we expect the right thing to happen?

God forbid anyone call out someone for violating NPS rules. Again I ask is this community for protecting access and encouraging leave no trace or is that a facade?

Last edited:

GB Fraggle

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, SC, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levine
Member #

GB you are a quick emotional one aren't you? Do you always expect others to be responsible for your errors? Neither do I. I waited for the responsible party to do what is expected of those who venture off road. I have picked up a lot of trash in the wilds and at home. I was raised to do so. I was also taught not to litter.

Lighten up Francis.

Monkey Proof stated that he had not been contacted. This whole event happened when? January? How long should we expect the right thing to happen?
?? Who's emotional? I am just having a conversation. Why are you so bent on this guy and his axle/fenders and why are you still talking about it but doing nothing? If it hurts your soul so much, go pick the dang things up or else SYPH and move on with your life.

MonkeyProof

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SoCal-SGV
I can do nothing but agree with your final statement. That is what I meant when I said "you cant fix stupid". A-Aron did nothing stupid either. He did what he was supposed to do at the time and I believe he is trying to rectify this issue, just not fast enough to suit you it seems. Monkey Junk has helped him already and didn't seem to mind storing the diff on his property and said he had even forgotten about it. Others have offered suggestions for the removal of the fenders and if A-Aron doesn't hurry up they will end up on someone else's trailer when they find them. I guarantee they wont be there long any way it goes. The T.P. you talk about no one will touch and in my opinion is as bad as beer cans strung up and down every road or highway in the world. Lighten up my friend, the world has not yet come to an end and never will over a hunk of steel laying around in DV for a few months.
The facts about the fenders is this. They were removed from the trailer in order for the trailer to fit through the narrowest sections of Dedeckera Canyon. Perhaps the trailer was too wide, or maybe they were damaged when the brothers were trying to turn the two trailers around to head the other way into Saline Valley via the North Pass Road. One of the fenders was damaged beyond repair or use. Bottom line is they were removed and discarded on the trail. They are homemade from mild steel. Nobody in their right mind will take them for personal use. The deminsions and weight of the fenders is just too much for any one rig to reasonably accommodate.

And also, it's MonkeyProof. Not Monkey Junk. I can't think of how that came to be..kinda weird tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.