Is there anyone renting RTTs? Can you rent a RTT?

• HTML tutorial

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Normally a Roof Top Tent does not work for my wife and I. We have a big dog that sleeps with us, and we both have joint issues that do not allow a RTT to work for us. However, we are wanting to do a trip with my daughter (30 years old) and her small dog.
I have a ground tent and all the needed stuff to go with it, but was thinking for the type of trip we want to do a RTT would be nice for her to sleep in. However, to buy a RTT for one trip is foolish and stupid.
Is there any companies renting RTTs? Any private parties that rent them?
If there is not, there should be. It seems like a perfect opportunity for someone to make some money renting to Overlanders that want to try out before they buy, or like me, that only need it for that one time, or even one time a year.

EDIT: On second thought, this might not work for us. I found that there is indeed a place in the Seattle area (2.5 hour drive for us) that does rent them. However, between the added gas and the rental costs, this would be a very expensive option. it would be over $800 for 1 week. That is getting close to the price of a cheap RTT that could be sold at a loss after the trip and still be cheaper.
Oh well, that ground tent is looking a lot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparksalot

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wow. At that point a small teardrop would work also. I was looking at rentals a while ago because it was suggested I rent out my trailers when I'm not going out. I was amazed at not only the cost but the fact they were booked half a year.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

For $800 I am going to be better off using a ground tent, or staying hotels, or a mix. Because I travel for work, I have over 1/2 million points with 2 major hotel chains. I can stay for free and mix in some wild camping with the ground tent.
We are looking at a trip to Texas this next year. Between all my air miles, hotel points and free rental car days, I am able to fly first class, stay in excellent Hotels, rent a nice car for a week, and the only cost to me is food.
It makes it really hard to justify spending $800 for the privilege of borrowing someone else's tent. A new Front Runner RTT tent, with free shipping is $818.

Overland Tax is real.

Reactions: smritte