First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Ick.

Built a FWC online. $45,000.

If I plan on a 20 year service life: That's about 2 camping trips per month, for 20 years, to make it worthwhile (at current hotel / lodge pricing)

4 nights of traveling every month, if I plan a 10y time span.

If half my over landing still includes rental lodges, yurts, and tent camping.....that's a tough pill to swallow.

Last edited:
Reactions: orange01z28

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Funny you should mention FWC. Compared to others they are cheap. Well not cheap, they are very well built, but 10s of thousands less than other expedition worthy 4 season truck campers. I’m currently in the process of specing one out. I also briefly looked at the Norweld Flatbed trays. Now that’s ridiculous! 18k plus installation? I’m sourcing a local manufacturer that can custom build one for less than half, installed. I refuse to pay a $10k overland tax. Back to the FWC, yes, they are costly, so is an Airstream, they both hold their value. After 5 years when we are done, it’ll easily fetch about 80-90% of the initial outlay. It is not unusual for an 8-10 year old Grandby to sell for what it cost new and sometimes more. Just recently one around here, a 2016 model, sold for 24k. Back in 2016 the base price was 17k. Then there is the typical RV or trailer which loses 50% of its initial cost in 5 years. In ten years it’s ready for the crusher. What’s really cool is everything we are specing is made in Louisville Ky, Woodland Ca, Gap Pa. and Prineville Or. to your point though, if you’re not using it, a lot, or going full time, then yup, it’s a tough pill to swallow. If we were not going full time, long range, I’d never even consider the expense. I’d keep what I have and keep on tenting.

Reactions: MidOH

orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
Ick.

If I plan on a 20 year service life: That's about 2 camping trips per month, for 20 years, to make it worthwhile (at current hotel / lodge pricing)

If half my over landing still includes rental lodges, yurts, and tent camping.....that's a tough pill to swallow.
Imagine doing the math on an RV

Especially when the average buying price in conjunction with maintenance is more expensive than a cabin, with the added bonus of depreciation!

K12

Rank VII

Pathfinder I

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Ick.

Imagine doing the math on an RV

Especially when the average buying price in conjunction with maintenance is more expensive than a cabin, with the added bonus of depreciation!
I have a BlackSeries Caravan and am saving far more money with it than I would having to pay for hotels, mortgage and everything else that comes along with a house/cabin/land etc.