Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

The competition to define a term is more divisive than the term itself.

Everybody wants their version to be what a term is.

Just do what makes you happy, call it whatever you want and ignore the nay sayers. It's 2024 men think they can be women,women think they can be men, and yet people are fussy about what to call their version of camping.

I see a lot more sneering attemptsat validation from the budget side than I do the Gucci side. Nobody thinks less of you or gives a damn if your version of "overlanding" involves a Corolla a can of Sterno and some Fancy Feast, nobody really cares, quit trying to validate it by criticizing the people who do it differently just because they can.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The competition to define a term is more divisive than the term itself.

Everybody wants their version to be what a term is.

Just do what makes you happy, call it whatever you want and ignore the nay sayers. It's 2024 men think they can be women,women think they can be men, and yet people are fussy about what to call their version of camping.

I see a lot more sneering attemptsat validation from the budget side than I do the Gucci side. Nobody thinks less of you or gives a damn if your version of "overlanding" involves a Corolla a can of Sterno and some Fancy Feast, nobody really cares, quit trying to validate it by criticizing the people who do it differently just because they can.
So, my building of a poor man's expedtion truck will pass? Oh thank goodness ! I was so concerned about how all my friends would react! Is there a humor emogee? Seriously, I agree with you, all things being relative in life, as in recreation. You and I may dream of spending a year exploring Australia, others may just go do it, others dream of just getting out of their suburb and to a state park. I enjoy single malt, others enjoy Jack Daniels bottom shelf, all of life is relative. We should open a discussion about homes and property. Is the market going to fade away because some people can afford a million dollar home? No. Will Overlanding (capital letter for effect) fade away because some choose to spend 1/4 million or more on an expedition truck? Of course not. If anything the high end stuff will keep the hobby alive livin and breathin. I'm reminded of a jerk in my wifes family that accused me long ago of being a work-aholic. No. I call it sucessfull. Now he laments how nice it must be to retire at 62 and be able to travel. Did I mention he's a jerk? Later, just random thoughts from an old dude. Worth about 55 cents!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

So, my building of a poor man's expedtion truck will pass? Oh thank goodness ! I was so concerned about how all my friends would react!
Yeah, I was (not at all) worried too lol

In all seriousness, I hope I didn't give the impression I was looking down on guys with $500,000 rigs and such. I'm not jelly or bitter that some guys can afford to drive a tricked out Tacoma with all the gucci kit while I'm fabbing side racks for my 06 Dakota from shelves I found lying around on the property - If anything, I love seeing all the Gucci kit I can't afford, because it gives me great ideas for how to DIY or cheaply source similar solutions. I've chosen to have six kids and live on a big property in the country, so obviously I have less cash to throw at overlanding, and that's fine. "It doesn't matter what you drive" cuts both ways.

Worth about 55 cents!
Man, that inflation is just out of control...even affecting opinions now! :D

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yeah, I was (not at all) worried too lol

In all seriousness, I hope I didn't give the impression I was looking down on guys with $500,000 rigs and such. I'm not jelly or bitter that some guys can afford to drive a tricked out Tacoma with all the gucci kit while I'm fabbing side racks for my 06 Dakota from shelves I found lying around on the property - If anything, I love seeing all the Gucci kit I can't afford, because it gives me great ideas for how to DIY or cheaply source similar solutions. I've chosen to have six kids and live on a big property in the country, so obviously I have less cash to throw at overlanding, and that's fine. "It doesn't matter what you drive" cuts both ways.

Man, that inflation is just out of control...even affecting opinions now! :D
Just think, when the kids are all grown and out and about, you’ll be able to afford new underwear when you need it. I had a few pair that lasted nearly 20 years!

Reactions: CR-Venturer

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

The most valuable thing that is mostly missing is time.
I don't give a s*** about gear or someone else's car. I don't really need any more money, I'm just running out of time.

I just take it with Lynard skynard... Be a simple man...

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Really? Seems to me “Overlanding” (a made up marketing word) is 100% about hype and consumerism. Just check social media, YouTube and especially the various events. I’m 110% over it and the whole toxic community that sprung up around it during and post Covid.
You must be new. That toxicity has been there LONG before covid. That's why we came to find OB. You want toxicity? Go visit Expo. That place is NUTS! I log in there once every blue moon to look at the classifieds.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Expo portal sucks. Very tribal.

Adv rider has some good stuff. But you have to wade through a giant pool of morons, to get to it.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You want toxicity? Go visit Expo. That place is NUTS!
Huh..interesting. A few years ago, they did something at the site and I was getting weird "You need to allow cookies" error. Three weeks ago I made a new account and have been waiting for approval ever since. When I go there it tells me my account is on hold until authorized. I did notice how little content there is now.
Guess im done waiting to get approved.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Adv rider has some good stuff. But you have to wade through a giant pool of morons, to get to it.
I've received far more helpful advice, tips, and area knowledge from ExPo than here. This place has its own characters, for sure. ExPo just has more of them which makes sense as there's far more activity and players there <shrug>. It's not hard (in either place) to press the Ignore button.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Tribal, you mean like if you go on IH8Mud and you own a Jeep that Mud is being tribal? Or, by being tribal, you mean no space/content is given to the RV, car camping or weekend warrior crowd, and lots of space/content given to the self reliant, long distance vehicle supported journey, with just over 1/4 million members, world wide, then you are correct. I’m here and there as well as a subscriber to OJ. There are very few people (according to Expo’s definition,) here in the US that actually overland. Most of us go out for at most a week or two, not months or years at a time, so we are here on OB. Other people tour for months or even years at a time. So I’m on both sites as we have done and will do, both.

Reactions: K9LTW

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Tribal, you mean like if you go on IH8Mud and you own a Jeep that Mud is being tribal? Or, by being tribal, you mean no space/content is given to the RV, car camping or weekend warrior crowd, and lots of space/content given to the self reliant, long distance vehicle supported journey, with just over 1/4 million members, world wide, then you are correct. I’m here and there as well as a subscriber to OJ. There are very few people (according to Expo’s definition,) here in the US that actually overland. Most of us go out for at most a week or two, not months or years at a time, so we are here on OB. Other people tour for months or even years at a time. So I’m on both sites as we have done and will do, both.
<slow clap>

Reactions: MOAK

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Huh..interesting. A few years ago, they did something at the site and I was getting weird "You need to allow cookies" error. Three weeks ago I made a new account and have been waiting for approval ever since. When I go there it tells me my account is on hold until authorized. I did notice how little content there is now.
Until you like something that they don't like.

Then they'll burn you at the stake.

I love their piss poor tech advice. Always good for a laugh.

They're really just yuppies with too much money to spend, on stuff unnecessary for this.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

Until you like something that they don't like.

Then they'll burn you at the stake.

I love their piss poor tech advice. Always good for a laugh.

They're really just yuppies with too much money to spend, on stuff unnecessary for this.
So talking trash and looking down on an entire group because you feel they talk trash and look down upon the simple man.

Oh the irony.

No toxicity here

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
o talking trash and looking down on an entire group because you feel they talk trash and look down upon the simple man.
Sooo How exactly was my statement talking down? I simply stated, they have issues with their site and dont seem to prioritize membership.
I think you need to rethink your statement. I'm glad you got something from expo considering I was a big contributor. Its possible you learned something from me.
Who's trash talking now?

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

o talking trash and looking down on an entire group because you feel they talk trash and look down upon the simple man.
Sooo How exactly was my statement talking down? I simply stated, they have issues with their site and dont seem to prioritize membership.
I think you need to rethink your statement. I'm glad you got something from expo considering I was a big contributor. Its possible you learned something from me.
Who's trash talking now?
Might want to check yourself.

Wasn’t responding to you but to MidOH’s post that included yours. That’s how threads work.

And my post wasn’t trash talking but simply highlighting the irony.