Is the Overlanding community killing itself

• HTML tutorial
S

SoCoRuss

Not Really, Its a toss up due to everyone has their opinions and some dont beleive the pressure on newbies by some folks on what they need. But others have seen the pressure to get a Jeep Rubicon and only a Jeep rubicon then add $50k on changes. And there are lots of folks who do what they want how they want, and screw your opinions and thats fine. Then there have been comments on overland clicks and the pressure to conform to what they beleive.

But in my OPINION and its mine only. Remember this questions was about newbies and growing the community since once your in for a while its probably too late for changes. We should try to get the newbies to start SLOWWW. So they figure how their style on their own in their own time. Thats my point, give advice but make sure the newbies understand, this hobby is a process and each of us has to figure how what works for us. Its MUCH cheaper that way:grin:

It doesn't matter if you have a fully tricked out Rubicon or a 4Runner or a Subaru outback or a used pickup towing a jayco popup versus a boreas trailer. Everyone is different and our main purpose should be to welcome them all and give them advice IF they ask and then stand back and watch them grow into this thing we do......

Thanks you all for your time and comments.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@SoCoRuss Starting slow is kind of the key take-away from this discussion.

On the right hand, some newbies get lost in the preparation and burn out before the first trip. On the left, there is a crowd of newbies who doesn't take any precautions and goes out with ill-prepared vehicles, get drunk and lost and hurt and wreck their trucks.

Understanding the physics of driving on road and off, and using common sense, are the best bits of advice for newcomers. After we finish teaching them common sense...

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
As a long time car camper and backpacker, I feel the 'overland' term and associated culture is an odd and often detrimental fad. Selfishly, I long for the pre-'overland' times of less crowded backcountry camping. I don't understand the problem discussed here of newbies with analysis paralysis and self imposed gear thresholds keeping them from camping. I circled the entire west, camping out of my 2wd Mazda truck in the late 90's, boondocking the entire time or camping with National Parks. Many, many miles of dirt under my tires. Sure, there were some true 4wd-only trails I had to avoid but all I needed was a cooler, a beat up coleman stove, a couple camp bins, a sleeping pad and bag and a loose itinerary. That's how I camped with friends in high school and afterwards.

Then one day I stumbled on this thing called 'Overlanding' where doing the exact same thing I did (mostly) suggested highly modified vehicles and gear. By this time I was exploring far off the beaten path in a Subaru Outback, which got me to every backpacking trailhead, ski resort and most public land areas within reason (for an AWD wagon with AT tires, that is). I wondered what I was missing, and how in carnation I achieved so many remote camping adventures without all this bling? Did I just imagine it?

Anyway, I'm glad there's (edited) new gear that got developed and I'm a guilty party in its purchase (Iceco fridge, Jackery battery) but I don't fly the Overland Flag. I just visit here for vehicle and gear insight. I don't want to promote this hobby any further. Backcountry is crowded enough (and littered, abused enough, unfortunately).

Last edited:

Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
While I am new to “Overlanding”, like many above I am not new to backpacking & hiking in remote areas. The popularity of the outdoors (from what I have seen) has exploded from 20 years ago. I remember going to Zion in the 90s and driving in and parking right at the trailhead for Angels Landing, or the Narrows, and not being crowded at all. Today its common for a line to be all the way up Angels Landing and the first 1.5 miles of the Narrows looks like a shopping mall.

That being said, everyone has a right to experience the outdoors - society as a whole just needs to minimize the impact of their visit where ever possible.

For me, personally, I am making sure the vehicle I have is prepared for where I want to go, I research the proposed route, and make sure I don’t bite off more than I can chew. The mods I am concentrating on is for road clearance and tools for recovery, for now.

As for what IS “Overlanding” - I think its whatever you want it to be. I think its you getting into the vehicle, and going somewhere you haven’t been before, and exploring. How you do that is up to you - and who cares what its called, right?

My two cents, which is on sale for a limited time for 1 cent.

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arvada, Colorado, United States
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Is it me or is the overlanding community slowly killing itself with all the very overpriced gear being pushed as must? It seems everyone is told you have to have a tricked out vehicle with another $50k of "upgrades" to get it out of the driveway. First you must spend $50k for a off road capable vehicle then you are expected to immediately tear off the suspension, tires ( to get larger tires that are so big no normal people can lift or change them when you get a flat) and driveline to "upgrade them" for all the weight you will add with bumpers, winches , tire carriers and mandatory gear made for M1 tanks for another $50K. Then you need a $1k tent to sit on top with $100 each gas cans or bags and water cans. Then its $300+ refrigerators and grills. and don't forget all the lights, batteries and electrical upgrades so the ISS astronauts can see you from space.
Or if you want a little space to stretch out and get a trailer, its $30k for one the size of a fridge box or $50-80K plus for ones with some room that's not much more than a popup! The newest fad is electric vehicles, why anyone who does OLing and goes far from towns would even suggest these is beyond me. Maybe Elon is planning charge stations on mountain peaks and in the middle of the deserts or attached to the side of a pine tree 40 miles from paved roads or will be beaming electricity down from Starlink. I could go on and on but everyone see's it everyday. And god forbid you don't have all the "top of the line" gear or you will be treated like a slow witted stepchild by the community.

OK, I'm not bitching per se and some of this is a little satire (maybe) but we all see it daily. As an example,Tent camping isn't for me so I have looked at a few of the overland campers, my god you would think God came down and made these with his hands at the prices. I ran the numbers and found I can do pretty much as many trips a year as I want on any trail I want to go on. At the end of the day return to a hotel, have a shower and good meal and a good night sleep, gas up and repeat for the rest of my life for less than the camper prices to start with. Or I could just buy a "VERY" nice fully optioned class C RV and a car carrier trailer to haul my OL rig to the trailhead and still be way ahead on cost. I talk to a folks every year who say they have no interest in OLing due to the perceived cost to do it, that's a real shame. I took 2 friends to the Rky Mt OL Expo last August, after seeing the gear and the prices. they said not intereted in going again, couldnt afford it. Hell, t-shirts sold there were $35-45 each...

You see it on pretty much every OL vlogger channel now. Even Micheal , (who I think is GREAT) along with OB does it. His latest vid is for a water catchment box ( with a very small surface area in my opinion) with a few accessories for $319. I could do the same thing and get way more water with a $17 7gal Aqua-tainer from walmart and a plastic tarp rigged with para cord connected to it. I saw recently on a few other OL You Tubers,The lateset and greatest aluminum off road recovery shovels are $130 for 1 piece or $200 for a 2 piece version. I have a short Ace spade for 30 years works good still, it cost $25. The newest European name of course axe was $145, I have another Ace one for 25 years cost was $30, still going strong, god knows how many cords of wood I have cut with it. The point is if you call it a Overlanding tool it now costs 5 times more than any regular tool or item. When you add all this up, it turns regular folks off. If you are independently weathly then good for you, have fun. But for the normal working folks who want fun and relaxation on their off time, they cant afford this hobby at this rate.

The point is we need to keep the mall crawling gear queen requirements to a realistic level or this pursuit will die out. I believe we need to push very hard on more ways to enjoy the outdoors at a realistic cost for folks and find more ways to do things and have gear that's cheaper to entice more folks to join and to support/protect the community long term. Gear should be dual purpose not just for OLing like my spade and axe. I believe the gear makers need to stop trying to bleed us dry just because they can,because when we are dry, they go away also.

So is it me or not? Opinions? Be nice:innocent:
It's starting in Australia already. I've noticed a trend where they are showing interest in "minimalist rigs". That's how I grew up with my dad in the 80s in Colorado. Old GMC truck, cooler, chainsaw, coleman stove, coleman lantern. That's it. Now I'm a glamper for sure. People should do what feels right for them. There are gear whores in life. Every hobby has them, nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: velo47

TK-421

Rank III

Enthusiast II

East Aurora, NY, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Wenner
Member #

There are folks who focus on the stuff, and those who focus on the adventure. I would say stop watching the 'stuff to get' youtube channels and start watching the "places to go" channels...or better yet stop watching the channels and get on out there! :)

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Things are definitely overpriced if it is tied to Overlanding. I've done a lot of DIY stuff to save money. Right now I'm in between Overlanding Vehicles and on my downtime I am thinking of ways I can do more with less. The goal is to be on a road less traveled and enjoy the great outdoors! Comfortable chairs and a good high and dry place to sleep are my top priorities!

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
There are folks who focus on the stuff, and those who focus on the adventure. I would say stop watching the 'stuff to get' youtube channels and start watching the "places to go" channels...or better yet stop watching the channels and get on out there! :)
This was/is spot on....

My wife and I spend our time looking for the nice to great places to go see. I would MUCH rather have an old Land Rover decked out for our adventures, but I cannot afford that. I can afford my jeep, and we have a blast with it. It has never failed to get us where we have wanted to go.

Last edited:

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I don't OL as much as I like, but the gear that I have collected so far as been multi-purpose, which is the mindset I have used in choosing what gear to buy. Things like my fridge, Jackery, portable lights, etc. I have used for power outages, normal land travel, and really just to have for bugout situations. Do I need it, not really, but it sure is convenient to have when I do. Overpriced? Yes, but dang I just love gear and tech.

Still being new to OL'ing, I would not buy a new rig and outfit it even if I had the money. I don't go out enough to justify it. I watch a lot of YouTube OL'ing videos and see people at all sorts of stages of their build. Many come from humble beginnings, build-wise. I like those videos the best. Their ingenuity to build with what they have is great!

Cpol

Rank IX
Launch Member

World Traveler III

Jackson Heights, Queens, NY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Pol
Member #

TRY TO GET THESE AMMENITIES IN ANOTHER COUNTRY... BE GREATFUL THAT AT LEAST THESE ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE.. THIS IS MY THIRD RIG BUILD OUT AND I EMPATHISE WITH YOU... TRY TO GET THESE ITEMS IN MEXICO OR POLAND... YOU WILL PAY A SURCHARGE 2 TIMES THE COST, PLUS CUSTOM CHARGES, AND PRAY THATS ITS AVAILABLE...MY POINT IS YOU CAN BE A MINIMALIST AND NOT GET ANY OF THE GLAMP STUFF AND JUST ROCK IT...IMG_6685.jpg

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Is it me or is the overlanding community slowly killing itself with all the very overpriced gear being pushed as must? It seems everyone is told you have to have a tricked out vehicle with another $50k of "upgrades" to get it out of the driveway. First you must spend $50k for a off road capable vehicle then you are expected to immediately tear off the suspension, tires ( to get larger tires that are so big no normal people can lift or change them when you get a flat) and driveline to "upgrade them" for all the weight you will add with bumpers, winches , tire carriers and mandatory gear made for M1 tanks for another $50K. Then you need a $1k tent to sit on top with $100 each gas cans or bags and water cans. Then its $300+ refrigerators and grills. and don't forget all the lights, batteries and electrical upgrades so the ISS astronauts can see you from space.
Or if you want a little space to stretch out and get a trailer, its $30k for one the size of a fridge box or $50-80K plus for ones with some room that's not much more than a popup! The newest fad is electric vehicles, why anyone who does OLing and goes far from towns would even suggest these is beyond me. Maybe Elon is planning charge stations on mountain peaks and in the middle of the deserts or attached to the side of a pine tree 40 miles from paved roads or will be beaming electricity down from Starlink. I could go on and on but everyone see's it everyday. And god forbid you don't have all the "top of the line" gear or you will be treated like a slow witted stepchild by the community.

OK, I'm not bitching per se and some of this is a little satire (maybe) but we all see it daily. As an example,Tent camping isn't for me so I have looked at a few of the overland campers, my god you would think God came down and made these with his hands at the prices. I ran the numbers and found I can do pretty much as many trips a year as I want on any trail I want to go on. At the end of the day return to a hotel, have a shower and good meal and a good night sleep, gas up and repeat for the rest of my life for less than the camper prices to start with. Or I could just buy a "VERY" nice fully optioned class C RV and a car carrier trailer to haul my OL rig to the trailhead and still be way ahead on cost. I talk to a folks every year who say they have no interest in OLing due to the perceived cost to do it, that's a real shame. I took 2 friends to the Rky Mt OL Expo last August, after seeing the gear and the prices. they said not intereted in going again, couldnt afford it. Hell, t-shirts sold there were $35-45 each...

You see it on pretty much every OL vlogger channel now. Even Micheal , (who I think is GREAT) along with OB does it. His latest vid is for a water catchment box ( with a very small surface area in my opinion) with a few accessories for $319. I could do the same thing and get way more water with a $17 7gal Aqua-tainer from walmart and a plastic tarp rigged with para cord connected to it. I saw recently on a few other OL You Tubers,The lateset and greatest aluminum off road recovery shovels are $130 for 1 piece or $200 for a 2 piece version. I have a short Ace spade for 30 years works good still, it cost $25. The newest European name of course axe was $145, I have another Ace one for 25 years cost was $30, still going strong, god knows how many cords of wood I have cut with it. The point is if you call it a Overlanding tool it now costs 5 times more than any regular tool or item. When you add all this up, it turns regular folks off. If you are independently weathly then good for you, have fun. But for the normal working folks who want fun and relaxation on their off time, they cant afford this hobby at this rate.

The point is we need to keep the mall crawling gear queen requirements to a realistic level or this pursuit will die out. I believe we need to push very hard on more ways to enjoy the outdoors at a realistic cost for folks and find more ways to do things and have gear that's cheaper to entice more folks to join and to support/protect the community long term. Gear should be dual purpose not just for OLing like my spade and axe. I believe the gear makers need to stop trying to bleed us dry just because they can,because when we are dry, they go away also.

So is it me or not? Opinions? Be nice:innocent:
You’re right on.

All the gear won’t help if you’re not okay with waking up to the cold, being just a little dusty all the time, finding ‘things’ in your food, and being just a little lonely.

There are a lot of ‘nice to haves’; but really only a small list of ‘must haves’ that you can buy for an overland adventure. With a sleeping bag, some toilet paper, a gallon of water and a ziploc bag of leftover Costco pizza you can survive a night in the wild, sleeping in the car.

Just get out there!

Reactions: Tom Cole

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Met an austrian couple in a Citroen 2CV in Albania, on a beach with a very difficult access ( I went there 2 times, 1 time I bottomed out my Hilux pickup that I had at the time.) They were sleeping inside the car and using a table they found abandoned at a campsite. When they left, All the people on the beach were watching if they can climb back out of the beach :) They did :)

This things are awesome, I wish I had the room to keep one. One in running order can still be found for around 3-4k euro...

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I've been camping, hiking, climbing, cooking outdoors and four wheeling since 1972. Folks that enjoy adventure, whatever the genre, will adapt to whatever group of folks can provide the best information, hands on experience or expertise currently available. I came here to learn new things and maybe teach some folks a few things I know. I too was discouraged about some of the gear presented but you have to understand that's just how any hobby or pastime works. I've played golf for 50 years. I'd love to own a set of Hogan irons and the current Ping driver but I just can't afford it. I bought a entire set of clubs for $300 new and had a 4 handicap as of 2020.
The idea of having a forum is to talk and learn and make your own decisions. If you can afford to buy it, do it. If you can't build it, learn how and if you need help, ask.
Zim

And yes, I have in the past made fun of the flying saucer cooking crowd and the geodome tent folks. All in good fun tho. LMAO.
Z

Reactions: ZombieCat and 12C20

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I kind of avoid 'overland' products, they tend to be overpriced and seems unnecessary for good old camping.

I just bring camping gear, and my jeep does not look like the apocalypse is upon us. I do, have a battery and powered fridge/freezer.

I see a ton of rigs here in socal (mostly 4runners) that drive around with all their gear permanently. Seems like it's more for social media likes...

Here's mine fully packed, just 2 cases and traction board on top. All my other recovery gear is mounted inside, camp stuff in the cases.

No shower, no $500 skottle stove, no toilet, fridge slide, drawer system.
20230425_160116.jpg
20230424_165014.jpg

And everyday driving
20230423_112006.jpg

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I kind of avoid 'overland' products, they tend to be overpriced and seems unnecessary for good old camping.

I just bring camping gear, and my jeep does not look like the apocalypse is upon us. I do, have a battery and powered fridge/freezer.

I see a ton of rigs here in socal (mostly 4runners) that drive around with all their gear permanently. Seems like it's more for social media likes...

Here's mine fully packed, just 2 cases and traction board on top. All my other recovery gear is mounted inside, camp stuff in the cases.

No shower, no $500 skottle stove, no toilet, fridge slide, drawer system.
View attachment 256837
View attachment 256838

And everyday driving
View attachment 256839
That's how we rocked our Jeeps too. Kept the stock bumpers etc as they were light, rust proof and worked. I did add a MBRP light mount and hellas for avoiding getting taken out by copious amounts of moose we have on our roads. I kick myself every day for selling that rig. It was built perfect.

20160919_152709357_iOS.jpg

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I've always tried to NOT attract attention.

That comes from the old days of driving home from bars (musician) and other illegal activities in the 70's.

Stealth.

Doesn't fit the new normal, which is "look at me."

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

There’s a lot of introspection about this going on right now. I know @Michael recently has been talking about a back to basics, a few podcasts just released done conversations too. For one- gear obsession can be super fun for a lot of people. I mean, it really can be. But, that isn’t the “why” for most.
In 2015 when I met OB members for the first time, all of them were extremely supportive that we just put on AT tires and showed up. Most OB people I’ve met through the years really don’t care, the gear is more of an extension to the hobby or lifestyle than anything else. Granted, watching YouTubers does get me to want more stuff- but I really like having it simple.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Something I have noticed coming from both the jeep world and the Landcruiser world. At get togethers the jeep guys would stand around for hours talking about all of their gear and vehicle mods and bolt ones. Cruiser guys? Talk about experiences and very rarely talk about our trucks when we get together. No judgement, just an observation based on a few decades of observation. If someone wants to spend a crapload of money on stuff, that makes the stuff less expensive for others that want the stuff. Need versus want- now there’s a rabbit hole eh?

Reactions: Sparksalot