Is Driving Over Snow-covered Highways Permitted?

• HTML tutorial

bayaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Vlad
Last Name
Dem
Hi team,

Was recently at Lake Alpine where Highway 4 is closed for the winter in CA. The snow cover was thick (2-4 ft) but packed beautifully, where a 4x4 truck can drive on it no problem. It's a snowmobile land over there but locals told me that they were able to drive all the way to Markleville in a Toyota on tracks. Question: is it legal to drive over snow-covered highways in a wheeled vehicle? The road is officially closed--but so was Mormon Emigrant trail in the winter before it burnt up, as well as many other roads where cops were fine with people snow wheeling. Any insight here would be appreciated, as i was not able to find official guidance.

Thanks!

bayaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Vlad
Last Name
Dem
Anything happens and no one will know you’re in trouble.
Well, that's the nature of snow wheeling in general. That's why you usually go in groups. That said, when the snow is over a wide paved road, it's arguably safer than when you're snow wheeling over ruts and rocks in the middle of a forest trail.

Reactions: 9Mike2

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
From my experience (albeit somewhat limited) in Colorado, when a public roadway is closed and allows tracked snow machine access, wheeled vehicles are prohibited. It's also a common courtesy to the snow machine users as hitting a rut caused by a wheeled vehicle can be deadly.

Reactions: Wellspring

bayaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Vlad
Last Name
Dem
From my experience (albeit somewhat limited) in Colorado, when a public roadway is closed and allows tracked snow machine access, wheeled vehicles are prohibited. It's also a common courtesy to the snow machine users as hitting a rut caused by a wheeled vehicle can be deadly.
Thanks, this makes sense. We've usually seen both snowmobiles and trucks at known snowwheeling routes, but your point on the danger to snowmobiles is very valid.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Who's going to stop you?

If the road is closed with gates, it's closed for me. Our roads stay open in the snow and floods, unless it's city streets with morons on them. Those get road blocked.

bayaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Vlad
Last Name
Dem
Who's going to stop you?

If the road is closed with gates, it's closed for me. Our roads stay open in the snow and floods, unless it's city streets with morons on them. Those get road blocked.
The gates here are easily passable with a 4wd. My question is related to legality, not possibility. There are other highway-type roads that are officially closed for the winter but cops have no problem with people snow wheeling. We've even run into cop Rubicon's on 40s on these roads.

05EXCURSION

Rank VI

Influencer I

Renton, King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lujan
Member #

Hi team,

Was recently at Lake Alpine where Highway 4 is closed for the winter in CA. The snow cover was thick (2-4 ft) but packed beautifully, where a 4x4 truck can drive on it no problem. It's a snowmobile land over there but locals told me that they were able to drive all the way to Markleville in a Toyota on tracks. Question: is it legal to drive over snow-covered highways in a wheeled vehicle? The road is officially closed--but so was Mormon Emigrant trail in the winter before it burnt up, as well as many other roads where cops were fine with people snow wheeling. Any insight here would be appreciated, as i was not able to find official guidance.

Thanks!
I'm sure every state has there own laws about it, in Washington I got a 2700 fine for being on a closed highway to go recover a jeep that was stuck. Ended up getting the ticket reduced. I know company's get fined more for going on closed highways. The other thing is does it go through a national park for forest service? Most closed roads turn into snowmobile trails during the winter and they give out $1000+ tickets depending on the state

bayaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Vlad
Last Name
Dem
I'm sure every state has there own laws about it, in Washington I got a 2700 fine for being on a closed highway to go recover a jeep that was stuck. Ended up getting the ticket reduced. I know company's get fined more for going on closed highways. The other thing is does it go through a national park for forest service? Most closed roads turn into snowmobile trails during the winter and they give out $1000+ tickets depending on the state
Interesting. The road in question is one of the mountain passes crossing Sierra Nevada's. I've given it a bit more research and while i can't find anything prohibiting wheeled vehicles, official info says that the road is "groomed" for snowmobiles. So the state might not appreciate if we tear it up with 4x4s. Looks like we'll have to stick to forest service roads for snow wheeling.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Up on Arrowhead / Big Bear you have to have a Mountain Pass to get around if it's closed, working for Electrical Company I got one for the time I was up there..

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The gates here are easily passable with a 4wd.
There's your answer. Gate=NO, sign =NO unless its posted "except". It doesn't matter who you see or rather can you "get around a closed gate". Obviously if someone is given the key to a locked gate or permission to do work, that's the exception. As was posted earlier, CHP or Forest Service (who ever is in charge of the gate) is the correct answer to your question. Everyone else is just going to give an opinion, not what your local law is.

I did volunteer work in my local mountains for a couple of decades. Some of the roads had to be closed for either fire damage or snow. People would go as far as to cut open, bypass or tear down gates/barriers (including throwing the closed sign's in the bushes). If we caught them, the excuses for them being there were somewhat entertaining. They would include "That's what others said", "It was easy to get around it", "but I have a 4wd" and my favorite "Its my right to be here and its a dirt road, laws don't apply to a dirt road". All of them were ticketed by the forest service personnel with us.

Reactions: MOAK and 9Mike2

bayaz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Vlad
Last Name
Dem
There's your answer. Gate=NO, sign =NO unless its posted "except". It doesn't matter who you see or rather can you "get around a closed gate". Obviously if someone is given the key to a locked gate or permission to do work, that's the exception. As was posted earlier, CHP or Forest Service (who ever is in charge of the gate) is the correct answer to your question. Everyone else is just going to give an opinion, not what your local law is.

I did volunteer work in my local mountains for a couple of decades. Some of the roads had to be closed for either fire damage or snow. People would go as far as to cut open, bypass or tear down gates/barriers (including throwing the closed sign's in the bushes). If we caught them, the excuses for them being there were somewhat entertaining. They would include "That's what others said", "It was easy to get around it", "but I have a 4wd" and my favorite "Its my right to be here and its a dirt road, laws don't apply to a dirt road". All of them were ticketed by the forest service personnel with us.
Thanks, appreciate your perspective. I wouldn't have thought of going around the gate if it didn't have a clear snowmobile path going around it. And people who tear down those gates deserve every bit of that ticket. That's why those gates have gotten extremely heavy in some places.