Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
Has anyone found a policy to cover modifications to the rig like the bumpers, bed caps, lights, winches etc etc? I don’t necessarily want to change my vehicle insurance provider (USAA) as I’m happy with how they conduct business, but I am struggling to find something to cover my mods.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Did you call USAA and ask about supplemental coverage? Most insurers offer that. I doubt any normal policy from any provider (especially the cheaper ones) will cover modifications.

Supplemental coverage will raise your premium, so might not be worth it in the long run.

Reactions: Desert Runner

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I can't speak to USAA, but I know Progressive offers additional coverage for aftermarket parts. You can specify the extra coverage, but no matter how much coverage you have if your vehicle is stolen or totaled you have to be able to prove your vehicle has additional parts that are less than or equal to the extra coverage.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
Did you call USAA and ask about supplemental coverage? Most insurers offer that. I doubt any normal policy from any provider (especially the cheaper ones) will cover modifications.

Supplemental coverage will raise your premium, so might not be worth it in the long run.
I have a lot of money wrapped up in the accessories, so paying extra in premiums is worth it to me.

I’ve talked to USAA, they do not offer anything beyond $5k for accessories that my policy already has in place.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
I can't speak to USAA, but I know Progressive offers additional coverage for aftermarket parts. You can specify the extra coverage, but no matter how much coverage you have if your vehicle is stolen or totaled you have to be able to prove your vehicle has additional parts that are less than or equal to the extra coverage.
I assume by prove the value of the parts, you mean receipts? I have receipts for every purchase and documentation from where my dealer installed it all. I look into Progressive, I appreciate it.

Reactions: DRAX

JCross

Rank II

Contributor III

Decatur, AL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Cross
Member #

I use American National Insurance and they allowed me to add 8700 dollars worth of extra coverage on my 99 4runner.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
Update:

I swapped to Alfa. The standard coverage that offered everything I had with USAA on the truck and my wife’s car was the exact same price, but I also have coverage for all of my current mods ($20k) and any future mods. Approx every $10k in mods coverage adds about $10 to monthly cost. I just provided receipts and photos. Coverage is good for on and off-road use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arailt