In with the new / Wj build

• HTML tutorial

Fsdmoore

Rank 0

Contributor I

Long time listener, first time poster...

Iv never been a fan of posting on forums but Iv always enjoyed the useful information that could be had from reading the forums.

So I figured it was my turn to post as I am begging a new journey. More for my own record keeping I guess.

Out with the old..... In with the new...

For the past 5 years I have daily driven, overlanded, camped, towed and loved my 07 ranger.
IMG_3198.JPG
IMG_6589.JPGIMG_6529.JPG
but now I’m onto a new project.... which a project she is.

Just picked up a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland for $1000. Complete with blown motor, spilled milk, grease stains and about 1500 black widow spiders. I meant to take pictures of how she was found but couldn’t wait to clean her up.
IMG_6858.JPG
IMG_6859.JPGIMG_6861.JPG
IMG_6862.JPG
IMG_6867.JPG

I guess she cleaned up rather nicely.

My best friend owns a company called Jeeptricks. He specializes in building race cars and fab work for all cars but mostly jeeps (as you can see the rollcage being put in to a matching Cherokee in the back ground). I help out where needed but we mainly hang out and build race cars. He had a 4.7 v8 crate engine sitting in the shop that needed a home so I found the cheapest home for it. I’ll be elbows deep in engine swap this coming week.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Love grand cherokees! I’ve only seen a couple lifted with bigger tires but they look great.

I actually have the same steering wheel. I got lucky at the junk yard and they actually bolt right into the earlier Cherokees.

Fsdmoore

Rank 0

Contributor I

I was never a fan of the grand cherokees. I thought they were too dad vany but once we started building the wj race car I have grown to love them. A lot!
IMG_6876.JPG
Here’s the wj with the 6.0 Clayton lift. For now she only has 32s but will get bigger sneakers come testing.

Fsdmoore

Rank 0

Contributor I

I’m waiting on parts for the engine before I can put it in the Jeepy, so I decided to make up a quick something to keep busy.

The switches I put in are just some that we had laying around the shop. Eventually I’ll get it wired up for lockers and onboard air.

Fsdmoore

Rank 0

Contributor I

Its been a while since my last post but I havnt had many updates to the WJ.
I got the new motor in and had a few kinks to work through (Check engine lights and what not before I could smog and registered) Ive been driving it now for a few weeks and it still feels like a rental car.... so I took advantage of Black Friday sales and picked up this girl....

I decided to go for the 6.5 IRO Rock-Link PRO long arm. I opted to order without shocks with the kit and ordered a set of Fox 2.0 shocks since I have a homie deal on them.

Ill post up more updates as they come!

Fsdmoore

Rank 0

Contributor I

I’ll tell you that my priorities are very backward. I have no problem spending $2600 on a lift but won’t buy myself socks and underwear when needed. I also don’t do anything when I’m off work. I don’t go out or anything unless it’s to go camping.

Fsdmoore

Rank 0

Contributor I

I started a new job shortly after the project began so the build was put on hold for a few months. But I t gave me time to collect parts. I got a free set of method fat fives that I had planned on powder coating a gunmetal grey but had some complications and the wheels “disappeared” from the shop. So I found a good deal on raceline wheels. IMG_7160.JPGIMG_7511.JPG
IMG_7603.JPGIMG_7525.JPG

Im pretty horrible with techy things but I wanted to get some pictures before the lift went on.
IMG_7574.JPGIMG_7575.JPG

Fsdmoore

Rank 0

Contributor I

I started a new job shortly after the project began so the build was put on hold for a few months. But I t gave me time to collect parts. I got a free set of method fat fives that I had planned on powder coating a gunmetal grey but had some complications and the wheels “disappeared” from the shop. So I found a good deal on raceline wheels. View attachment 92598View attachment 92593
View attachment 92594View attachment 92595

Im pretty horrible with techy things but I wanted to get some pictures before the lift went on.
View attachment 92596View attachment 92597

Fsdmoore

Rank 0

Contributor I

While I waited for all the parts to come together I worked on adding an air compressor. My initial plan was to mount 2 air compressors and a 3 gallon tank in the spare tire well. Being that I don’t listen to CDs and one compressor fits perfectly where the CD changer fit I couldn’t pass it up. I tested the compressor and found that it will fill a 35 inch tire from 0psi to 30psi in under 5 minutes. I know there are faster options on the market but for my needs, I think it will be fine. I still have the second compressor and tank from the original plan if I decide I need more power.

View attachment 92976
I made a simple bracket that allows the compressor to mount on the factory posts that the changer mounts to.

View attachment 92977
View attachment 92978
The factory cover still fits perfectly over the compressor. The compressor does get warm when in use and I’m slightly worried that it will over heat in the enclosed space. My back up plan is to mount a standard computer fan on the bottom of factory cover to pull air from the cab across the compressor.

Attachments

Reactions: Disco Patrol

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm surprised I didn't find this thread sooner... I usually find all the WJs, especially here in CA. I have a '03 Overland and also have IRO's Rock-Link but only 4" (for now). Here's my thread: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Build

Are you planning to lock the stock D30/44A or swapping axles?

-TJ

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Nice WJ and all. I have one myself and am a fan. But I'm also a fan of those Rangers. And yours looked pretty damned nice. Please dont tell me you got rid of the Ranger?!