Santos107

Rank 0

Contributor I

Rhome, Texas, United States
First Name
Santos
Last Name
Jim
What's the best vehicle to start out with? I'll be taking long trips and do plan on doing some off roading as well. Any info on a vehicle that best fits that will be very appreciative

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Everything is a trade off. I have a big truck with a longed, I quit camping small, I don't wheel it as it is so long. I don't like vans yet I have friends that love them. I know 3 couples that drove the Pan-American in 4 Runners. If i was living on the road full-time would be a slide in pop-top. I reason You love something is the reason I hate it. Get out in anything and figure out what works for you. You can spend as much as you want, that's for sure.

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

What's the best vehicle to start out with? I'll be taking long trips and do plan on doing some off roading as well. Any info on a vehicle that best fits that will be very appreciative
I just purchased a 2021 Toyota 4Runner, it has a lot of essentials and then some. I have an f250 that I used forever, wanted something a bit smaller more maneuverable on mtn trails. I did just find out that the KDSS system on my model creates many a problems for a lot of accessories, ie lifts, skid plates and recovery points. Parts guy at the dealership told me I’d probably end up deleting it if I did serious work.

The rest has been a dream.

It’s a lot, make sure it’s what you want outside the noise. Best of luck!

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Welcome to the forums! Unfortunately, there is no "best" vehicle otherwise we'd all be owning it. Best depends on so many personal factors and travel goals, so without knowing budget, destinations, terrain you want to traverse, etc. there's no way to provide a list of vehicles to look into.

Give us more info! :)

Reactions: El-Dracho and MMc

RMerritt_AF

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Canton, Cherokee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Merritt
Member #

The best vehicle is the one you have. Get out there and determine what you need. Different destinations have different requirements, and it’s ultimately up to you to decide what works for you. If you think your current vehicle is too small or doesn’t have enough ground clearance, then find something that meets that need. Not everyone needs a ton of space, or even 4 wheel drive, but then some do.

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

If you are taking long trips you might consider mpg over horse power. However if you will be heavily loaded consider a higher load capacity so that the vehicle isn’t impeded by all your gear. I.e. braking, turning etc. You definitely don’t want the vehicle to lose any significant performance based on your gear, that could be unsafe and cause maintenance problems. I agree with those who have already replied, consider your needs and find the rig that you can make what you NEED. If you already have a vehicle, start with that! If you are in the market for something different, take your time. Best of luck!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

There are so many important questions we need to know the answers to if we're going to be able to provide reasonable suggestions.
  • First and foremost how much do you want to spend?
  • What region(s) will you Overland in (the terrain you'll be on most should be a big part of your decision)?
  • When you say "doing some off roading as well" what does that mean? Are we talking more serious trails like the Rubicon?
  • How many people need to fit in it for your trips?
  • How long are your "long trips" (this important to know, along with the previous question to guess how much total gear you'll need to take, and how much of the seating will be used as actual seats, or room for gear)?
  • Will it be purely a Overland/toy, or also your daily driver?
  • If daily, does MPG matter,?
  • Do you have limitations like a small parking spot/garage at home (or work, if it's going to be your daily too)?
  • Do you want to sleep *in* the vehicle when camping?
  • Do you plan to modify it, and therefore how important is aftermarket support to you?
  • If your budget dictates something used, how mechanically inclined are you and how willing/able are you to do work on an older vehicle (and by extension do you have the tools and space to work on it at home)?
  • Any personal preferences that might make some options a non-starter (i.e. "I just won't drive a Ford" or "I don't want a JL Unlimited Rubicon like everyone else")?
Without knowing the answer to those questions, some thoughts:
  1. JLUR - there's a reason urrrrrrybody has one: they just work. Nothing else is as capable offroad out of the box (including the new Bronco... though that's a point that could be debated), it's a nice size (not exactly small by any means, but not "big" either), aftermarket support is YYYyyyyyuge (so things like storage systems or sleep platforms for the back, RTT-capable roof racks, any suspension setup from mild-to-wild, etc. are readily available), and they actually are very nice daily drivers too.
  2. Powerwagon - I swear I'm not just a Stellantis fanboi, the PW has a lot of upsides but a Super Duty Tremor would be *close*. If you're doing long, long trips and need a lot of gear or potentially a trailer a full-size pickup is great, and a PW gets you factory front/rear lockers, winch, front electronically disconnecting sway bar etc. which IMHO make it the best full-size option for Overlanding (and this is coming from someone with a Silverado HD among my fleet).
  3. Colorado ZR2/Jeep Gladiator Rubicon or Mojave - get you truck benefits like being able to put a lower bed-rack on it and have a RTT that's not actually at roof-height, a bed for storying dirty things (like firewood, chainsaw, fuel for said chainsaw or extra for the rig, etc. but not the "big truck" size drawbacks. That said, if you're a family of 4+ traveling both will be cramped.
  4. JKUR - If budget is more of an issues, let's say around ~$30k a used JKUR is hard to beat for all the same reasons the JLUR was my top recommendations. The JK is just a little less nice to daily, a little slower and not as good for towing a trailer (because of the 5spd vs. 8spd, of course that is a moot-point if you're going stick because it's a 6spd in either) and they are becoming hard to find for a good price but not beat down.
  5. If you're more thinking $5-10k budget I'm a big WJ fanboi and can extol it's virtues (and weakness) 'til my fingers are sore from typing. Great size, extremely capable stock (with the right options packages) and damn cheap... BUT they have (more than) their fare-share of problems. Again, I can expand on them if you're in that ballpark budget, but no point if you're thinking much higher.
  6. Full-size fan, especially 4x4 converted - if you have a big family and hardcore wheeling isn't in the plan a full-size van gets you tons of space for people and gear, plus good towing capacity. If you go this way though do not, NOT, NOOOOOTTTTT even consider a 6.0/6.4 Powerstroke van.
  7. Full-size Jeep (like a J10/20, Grand Wagoneer, Cherokee Chief etc.) - if you are more interested in the idea of something old-school and somewhat unique, these seem to still be semi-reasonably priced (compared to early Broncos, K5 Blazers, etc.) and are just damn cool and give you a lot of space. But it's not going to ride or drive like a modern vehicle and *will* require work.
Anyway, I can go on and on, but if you give us a better idea of your needs I might have a tighter set of suggestions.

-TJ

Reactions: MazeVX

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The best vehicle is the one you have...
Run what you brung...
I generally agree, but from the initial post I'm guessing the OP doesn't have an Overland-capable vehicle currently. Sure, ANY vehicle can overland in theory, but maybe he drives a Corvette or something. ;)

-TJ

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Asking what vehicle to get is a lot like asking what to get for dinner from people who don’t know you . Your going to mostly get recommended things they like .

Reactions: Old Tanker

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I am a big fan of the Chevy Colorado ZR2. Out of the box it is capable of doing 90% of what overlanding throws at you. It is also a great platform to build on. The Toyota Tacoma or Toyota 4 Runner are also very solid options to start out with.

Reactions: MazeVX

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Asking what vehicle to get is a lot like asking what to get for dinner from people who don’t know you . Your going to mostly get recommended things they like .
True. It's a lot like asking 1911 vs. polymer double-stack, blonde vs. brunette (give me a redhead ;) ), etc. That said, asking what to get for dinner you might get a recommendation for the best Mexican food in town, maybe you don't feel like Mexican that day but at least you know the best place to go when you do. Same here, it's a good way to see what's working for people and get the best vehicles in a bunch of different categories or price-points.

That said, IDK how much the OP is really looking for help. They never posted again in this thread, and never answered any of the questions that would help us give better advice:

There are so many important questions we need to know the answers to if we're going to be able to provide reasonable suggestions.
  • First and foremost how much do you want to spend?
  • What region(s) will you Overland in (the terrain you'll be on most should be a big part of your decision)?
  • When you say "doing some off roading as well" what does that mean? Are we talking more serious trails like the Rubicon?
  • How many people need to fit in it for your trips?
  • How long are your "long trips" (this important to know, along with the previous question to guess how much total gear you'll need to take, and how much of the seating will be used as actual seats, or room for gear)?
  • Will it be purely a Overland/toy, or also your daily driver?
  • If daily, does MPG matter,?
  • Do you have limitations like a small parking spot/garage at home (or work, if it's going to be your daily too)?
  • Do you want to sleep *in* the vehicle when camping?
  • Do you plan to modify it, and therefore how important is aftermarket support to you?
  • If your budget dictates something used, how mechanically inclined are you and how willing/able are you to do work on an older vehicle (and by extension do you have the tools and space to work on it at home)?
  • Any personal preferences that might make some options a non-starter (i.e. "I just won't drive a Ford" or "I don't want a JL Unlimited Rubicon like everyone else")?
Without knowing the answer to those questions, some thoughts:
  1. JLUR - there's a reason urrrrrrybody has one: they just work. Nothing else is as capable offroad out of the box (including the new Bronco... though that's a point that could be debated), it's a nice size (not exactly small by any means, but not "big" either), aftermarket support is YYYyyyyyuge (so things like storage systems or sleep platforms for the back, RTT-capable roof racks, any suspension setup from mild-to-wild, etc. are readily available), and they actually are very nice daily drivers too.
  2. Powerwagon - I swear I'm not just a Stellantis fanboi, the PW has a lot of upsides but a Super Duty Tremor would be *close*. If you're doing long, long trips and need a lot of gear or potentially a trailer a full-size pickup is great, and a PW gets you factory front/rear lockers, winch, front electronically disconnecting sway bar etc. which IMHO make it the best full-size option for Overlanding (and this is coming from someone with a Silverado HD among my fleet).
  3. Colorado ZR2/Jeep Gladiator Rubicon or Mojave - get you truck benefits like being able to put a lower bed-rack on it and have a RTT that's not actually at roof-height, a bed for storying dirty things (like firewood, chainsaw, fuel for said chainsaw or extra for the rig, etc. but not the "big truck" size drawbacks. That said, if you're a family of 4+ traveling both will be cramped.
  4. JKUR - If budget is more of an issues, let's say around ~$30k a used JKUR is hard to beat for all the same reasons the JLUR was my top recommendations. The JK is just a little less nice to daily, a little slower and not as good for towing a trailer (because of the 5spd vs. 8spd, of course that is a moot-point if you're going stick because it's a 6spd in either) and they are becoming hard to find for a good price but not beat down.
  5. If you're more thinking $5-10k budget I'm a big WJ fanboi and can extol it's virtues (and weakness) 'til my fingers are sore from typing. Great size, extremely capable stock (with the right options packages) and damn cheap... BUT they have (more than) their fare-share of problems. Again, I can expand on them if you're in that ballpark budget, but no point if you're thinking much higher.
  6. Full-size fan, especially 4x4 converted - if you have a big family and hardcore wheeling isn't in the plan a full-size van gets you tons of space for people and gear, plus good towing capacity. If you go this way though do not, NOT, NOOOOOTTTTT even consider a 6.0/6.4 Powerstroke van.
  7. Full-size Jeep (like a J10/20, Grand Wagoneer, Cherokee Chief etc.) - if you are more interested in the idea of something old-school and somewhat unique, these seem to still be semi-reasonably priced (compared to early Broncos, K5 Blazers, etc.) and are just damn cool and give you a lot of space. But it's not going to ride or drive like a modern vehicle and *will* require work.
Anyway, I can go on and on, but if you give us a better idea of your needs I might have a tighter set of suggestions.
-TJ

Reactions: Arailt

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Aside from the excellent advice of using what you have and determining what you need from there->

A "good" vehicle for overlanding is one that is capable, reliable, and has good aftermarket support.

Toyota checks those boxes and they make capable vehicles in a wide range of budgets (Tacoma, 4Runner, Tundra, Sequioa, Land Cruiser). Jeep Wranglers/Gladiators are very capable and have huge aftermarket support, but and are more expensive with the off-road bells and whistles. Chevy and Ford have mid and full sized trucks that can fit the bill, but with less aftermarket support than Toyota or Jeep. Ram makes a nice full size off-road oriented truck in the Power Wagon.

It all depends on what you plan to do with the vehicle. How far you plan to go on the trails and in the build. If you just plan to drive 99% on pavement and need something that can handle a dirt road to a camp site, almost any vehicle can do that.