In need of my Land Rover guys

• HTML tutorial

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

I did replace radiator when I bought it... i immediately changed FROM DEXCOOL ACID to Green and never looked back! add 1 bottle water wetter and lower thermostat deg and your ready to go... Im of the camp that believes when the engine runs so dad blamin hot it wears things out.. including causing slipped piston liners.. melting plastic plugs and this and that.. adds engineered unneeded wear and tear... also when is DOES happen and you get that radiator leaky hose or whatever, the dexcool and oxygen mix.. becoming acidic.. no big deal on an engine with synthetic head gaskets but landys use a fiber gasket that WILL dissolve in this acid... so... NO NO NO to DEXCOOL.. its great on the right application.. this is not one of them... the viscous fan clutch... of a series 2 discovery, just use the 1999-2002 fan blades and a chevy HD fan clutch.. problem solver.. 35 bucks new and replaceable if needed... ... add dielectric grease to all the plug terminals you can... corrosion proofing them for the most part... heat and dexcool and terrible temp gauge on dash are the biggies.. ( get obdII wired monitor gauge like a scangauge .. problem solved) tidy those things up and your good to go! lol I do have a wheel bearing needing replaced.. going to do all 4 soon... its not that bad but I can slightly tell... its ok.. 125k on the originals... :blush: there is also a pelethera of excelent info and support on many forums for these ..

BTW when I changed thermostat and coolant I went from 205-235degF engine temps to 183-194deg... massivley cooler... and also rerouted the cooling system like a traditional NORMAL vehicle and can use chevy/ford whatever thermostats.. generic ones... and can change them depending on condition if needed..

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
Also to add my Rover never mechanicly let me down mainly leaked power steering fluid and electrical issues but engine and trans never let me down with 188k on the engine
My sig line from Landroverforums.com copied from a post by RayG over at Expediton portal.

"Regarding Land Rovers, "The upside is they are rarely totally broken. They are also never totally fixed."
r-
RayG / Expedition Portal

Reactions: Archtop67