In-Car GPS, OBD Fusion, and iPad Mini

• HTML tutorial

Monsignor

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Prosper, TX
Member #

Greetings all! I have searched this section of the Forum and really haven't seen this questions asked, my apologies if I didn't stumble across it...

I have and use the port scanner (Kiwi 3) for my Land Cruiser and use OBD Fusion to monitor things via the dashboard options. I connect to my port scanner via Bluetooth and not WiFi. There is a Maps option in OBD Fusion (only relative to position and not really reliable for tacks and not available for planning - at least that I am aware of...).

I have a subscription to Gaia Maps.

Here's my questions - in order for Gaia to work, there needs to be a connection to a GPS device (at least that's what I understand). In-town I can pair my iPad to my iPhone but want to go out-and-about and not have to rely on my cellular signal. Is there a way to run Gaia off of my Land Cruisers' GPS via OBD/Bluetooth?

If no, then what's my option for running GPS/maps on my iPad Mini 4 (WiFi only)?

Thanks in advance!!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
If you have a WiFi only iPad you will need to purchase a 3rd party wired or wireless gps device to work with GAIA as well as downloading your maps onto your iPad for offline use.

Monsignor

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Prosper, TX
Member #

Thanks for the reply! I could have sworn that someone said that it was possible to use the on-board (in-vehicle) GPS via the OBD scanner... maybe not...

I download all area maps on multiple devices using at least 2 apps/software (e.g. Gaia and Google Maps).

Reactions: Cort