joseluis.17g

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Gomez
I have a Smittybuilt x02 Gen 2 12k winch which has worked verygood when needed, the car got bogged in a mud hole really bad and the winch conector got wet, and I didn't clean it so one of the pins for the remote, rusted out, I got in touch with their costumer service and a replacement it's on its way, but it presented an opportunity
I have an AUXBEAM switch panel which could easily be wired to be the winch remote, it would have several advantages, I could hide the selenoid box out of harms way as I wouldn't need to get to it

My question is, do you guys see any reason no to do this, any pros for running the standar remote?

let me know

Reactions: Todd S.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’ve been using a standard wired remote for decades. I don’t care for in the cab controllers as it is impossible to see what is going on with the line or how it is spooling back up. We were recently out and my rider is a retired coast guard. He was a pro when it came to handling both of our self recovery efforts. I thought I was good with a winch line? This guy was not only wired in, but he too was thankful for having a wired remote so that he could easily handle the recovery efforts. Just my 3 cents.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have to agree with MOAK. I think you need to keep an eye on what is going on with the recovery. What has been a game changer for me is wireless controller. I am not limited to a small area.
Do you trust those cheap wireless remotes? Or do you have high end gear?

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

I agree with the others but will add I do a lot of solo adventure travel, so I often have no choice but to operate my winch from the driver's seat. My Come-Up winch has a wireless remote that I have been very pleased with for ease of use, reliability and convenience of using in or out of the vehicle.

Reactions: MOAK

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Wireless control is the way to go. When I'm winching I like somebody to be in the vehicle, with the vehicle in N and their foot (or both feet sometimes) on the brakes. I don't like the idea of the winch working against the parking pawl if it pulls through the brakes a bit, or even depending on the parking pawl which could let go and things could get hairy. In a stick shift vehicle you need to be in N anyway since you'll want the engine running. So I like a wireless that gives me the option of being in the cab, or if I have somebody else around to do that, then I like to be outside (in a safe location... also using a winch blanket or whatever ESPECIALLY if it's a steel line) so I can keep my eye on things.

Another reason against the in-cab only option is what if you got your vehicle into a very unsafe position, say on the edge of a cliff? Your vehicle isn't worth your life... so it's worth GTFO of the rig, but if you have a winch and wireless remote maybe you can still save it or at least secure it until you can get more help.

-TJ

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have both.
I wired a set of switch's into my cab and I can plug the remote into the control box under the hood. Sometimes you need to be outside but most of the time I ran the controller through the window anyway. That way I could see under my raised hood. Most of my experience comes from a couple of decades of AAT trail maintenance and being a winch point at off road events. The only times I ever had to use the winch on myself was when we were able to go to Panamint city. You winched yourself up a series of water falls.

Reactions: MOAK