Icom 2730a and Mobilinkd are OTW, who is ready for APRS?

• HTML tutorial

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
My biggest thing is using APRSdriod on a tablet. The same tablet with GiaGPS on it, which means I can use APRSdriod to view objects on GiaGPS downloaded map.
How would this work? Will APRSDroid find and open map tiles downloaded by Gaia onto your device?
Thanks!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My biggest thing is using APRSdriod on a tablet. The same tablet with GiaGPS on it, which means I can use APRSdriod to view objects on GiaGPS downloaded map.
you can’t overlay APRSDROID onto Gaia... Gia doesn’t port APRS.FI and no plans to ever. However, as @Greg Eigsti mentioned running Xaster on the RPi and connecting your tablet via hotspot and Mobilinked TNC, would allow an all in one navigation screen.

Check out the KM4ACK Build-A-Pi on YouTube and GitHub.

Reactions: Ubiety

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
How would this work? Will APRSDroid find and open map tiles downloaded by Gaia onto your device?
Thanks!
Greg yes and no
Not sure exactly what all you want to do there but in APRSdroid (big note you must click the station or message you want to see so you must be in the messages area first not the log) you can click options button and click open in external source and use Gia. (I currently don't have my tablet/radio handy to walk through the exact steps will try to remember to do that at lunch if I can get receive some APRS packets).

So if I have received a packet I can click that packet then have it drop a pin in GIA (only a Pin with the Call Sign shows up in Gia). I can not receive enough APRS packets here at my QTH with my cheap HT to test to see if I leave GIa open in the background does it keep a log of the ones I open in Gia but the APRSdriod will at least open GiaGPS with a Pin of that single packet on its location.

One of my use cases here is if someone gets stuck on a trail they don.t have to verbalize their location they can just manually send an APRS current location and I can get that location on my OFFLINE map GIAGPS and figure the best approach to get to them.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Greg yes and no
Not sure exactly what all you want to do there but in APRSdroid (big note you must click the station or message you want to see so you must be in the messages area first not the log) you can click options button and click open in external source and use Gia. (I currently don't have my tablet/radio handy to walk through the exact steps will try to remember to do that at lunch if I can get receive some APRS packets).

So if I have received a packet I can click that packet then have it drop a pin in GIA (only a Pin with the Call Sign shows up in Gia). I can not receive enough APRS packets here at my QTH with my cheap HT to test to see if I leave GIa open in the background does it keep a log of the ones I open in Gia but the APRSdriod will at least open GiaGPS with a Pin of that single packet on its location.
Correct you can drop one pin at a time... you have to keep flipping back and forth between the two apps.

Reactions: Ubiety and KM4DWS

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Correct you can drop one pin at a time... you have to keep flipping back and forth between the two apps.
Yes not the cleanest or easiest but it will work with what I got.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yes not the cleanest or easiest but it will work with what I got.
Luckily there is software in development that will eventually eliminate this burden... and it will be available for IOS, Android, and Windows... although windows will have to have an internet connection while IOS and Android will work offline. From my understanding it’s between 6 months to a year out.

Reactions: KM4DWS and Ubiety

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
So I pulled the trigger on the Icom 2730a and Mobilinkd. Wanted a mobile for the GX for a long while and finally did it. I hope those Japanese radios live up to their hype. I really wanted to run some APRS stuff and the 2730a has no native way to do that so I figured the Mobilinkd would be worth a shot to try out.

Anyone running APRS?
Anyone using it for stuff in addition to position, like for texts/emails/status?

What about the mobilinkd tnc?

Anyone using the 2730a? How do you like it?
I just looked up that mobilinkd gizmo, holy moly. You could be in the ballpark of TM-D710 if you were starting from scratch.

Reactions: Ubiety and KM4DWS

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just looked up that mobilinkd gizmo, holy moly. You could be in the ballpark of TM-D710 if you were starting from scratch.
The TNC3 is spendy, but the fact that it can be used with almost any radio and works cross platform makes it worth every cent... HamradioConcepts (YouTube) does several reviews of it using several different radios. The TNC1 was designed for APRS use only, while the TNC2 and 3 are used for any packet type radio while the TNC3 offers 9600 baud so can be used with most digital platforms.

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Yes, I think it will be a pretty cool little device (I ordered version 2 as I don't have iOS devices nor digital radios).

However, remember what was highlighted by Mike earlier. It is most likely not a permanent solution as there are a couple of key features that are missing from this. Namely for me the Voice Alert and PTT/main switching from APRS to Audio Channel.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
APRSDroid will overlay received APRS information in Backcounty Navigator Pro and XE.
1606842027345.png

I have been rocking one of the original Mobilinkd Bluetooth TNC's for several years. It still works beautifully! I started using it with a Baofeng radio then moved it to my Kenwood TM-71A. The only time I have EVER had a problem with it was when my data cable came unplugged.

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
APRSDroid will overlay received APRS information in Backcounty Navigator Pro and XE.

I have been rocking one of the original Mobilinkd Bluetooth TNC's for several years. It still works beautifully! I started using it with a Baofeng radio then moved it to my Kenwood TM-71A. The only time I have EVER had a problem with it was when my data cable came unplugged.
Very nice, with Backcountry Navigator Pro (seems to have a couple of options) are you subscribing to one of their premium map services or just using the included maps that come with the purchase of the pro app?

Are you using Voice Alert at all? So I believe a temporary workaround for me on the Voice Alert issue is setting my HT to monitor the APRS channel for the CTCSS RX only and just having it in the cab with me so that when the packet is RXed with the tone I am alerted to then make a call to get a QSO on simplex.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Very nice, with Backcountry Navigator Pro (seems to have a couple of options) are you subscribing to one of their premium map services or just using the included maps that come with the purchase of the pro app?

Are you using Voice Alert at all? So I believe a temporary workaround for me on the Voice Alert issue is setting my HT to monitor the APRS channel for the CTCSS RX only and just having it in the cab with me so that when the packet is RXed with the tone I am alerted to then make a call to get a QSO on simplex.
I have not subscribed to any of the PRO maps, but I am a subscriber for XE and XE maps.

Voice Alert is not something I have tried with my APRS setup.

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Cheap 2m radio is the Kenwood TK790H...
Is this an example of the radio you are talking about?

What do you use to program it?
Can it run the Voice Alert?
Is it possible to run 2 radios through 1 antenna? (what pitfalls/problems can this cause?)

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have a Tinytrack2 hiding around here someplace. I’ve been tempted to dig it up and at least get basic APRS going again.
Byonics has some really cool specialized stuff! Gave a TinyTracker as a Christmas/Birthday present last year to a real good buddy that I am trying to get into APRS.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
View attachment 178832

Checked Apple store and no Backcounty Navigator for me. Thanks for the info; maybe I'll have to get a cheap Android device to play with.

Reactions: KonzaLander

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Is this an example of the radio you are talking about?

What do you use to program it?
Can it run the Voice Alert?
Is it possible to run 2 radios through 1 antenna? (what pitfalls/problems can this cause?)
Yes and no... his radio is the 45 watt radio... but that is the information I used to get my 790h running.

For programming you need the Kenwood Programming software and the Kenwood Programming cable.

It doesn’t do voice alerts.

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Checked Apple store and no Backcounty Navigator for me. Thanks for the info; maybe I'll have to get a cheap Android device to play with.
While I like Android and would not say don't go get an Android device.... The Backcountry Navigator XE seems to have plans to be on iOS. Their website claims they are in early beta and can get it from "TestFlight" seems like beta testing sight

See Back Country Navi website here: