Icom 2730a and Mobilinkd are OTW, who is ready for APRS?

• HTML tutorial

Curt_JK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

666 Florin Road, Sacramento 95831
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QMH
I would like recommendations/feedback for a mobile rig.
My current setup is a Baofeng UV82 connected to an external antenna and a Mobilinkd TNC3; I then have a tablet running APRSDroid connect via bluetooth to the TNC3. This setup works great (I can send/receive packets; smart beaconing, message APRS users, send SMS and email, etc.).
The issue with my current setup is that it is only 8 watts, and I would like something with a little more power.

I would like a mobile rig that can connect to an Android tablet, and will allow the full functionality of APRSDroid (including messaging from the tablet).

I do not want an FTM-400 (trying to use a touchscreen off road is too difficult, plus I don't believe Yaesu follows the APRS spec).

If anyone has a setup that supports my current use case, please post suggestions.

Thanks!

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
First, Kenwood APRS mobile radios because they allow access to the TNC where others do not. I have a ras pi connected to my TM-D700 and can run Xastir on that and VNC into it with the iPad. I do not have Android devices but hear that APRSDroid is pretty slick. I do not recommend Xastir for this kind of use as its map loading is abysmally slow and only supports really bad maps as downloadable.

I believe that the TM-D710 has BT and would work with APRSDroid. How does APRSDroid work for you as a general nav tool? Imports/exports data (e.g. GPX)? Downloadable maps? Rich map set?

I like what you are doing and where you are heading :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Curt_JK

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@Curt_JK almost any mobile radio can work with the Mobilinkd and your tablet. I run a Yaesu FTM-3100 to a Mobilinkd 2.2 (or 2.1) bluetooth to a tablet on my dash. You may have to make up a cable to plug into the mic port and the external speaker port but it's really pretty easy.

Reactions: Curt_JK and Ubiety

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
After coming back from an OB meet up last night, I got my APRS to work on my Kenwood TM-v71a, using TNC3, iPad Mini with WiFi using my phone's hotspot. I was happy to see packets coming in and location being tracked. Now if I can only find another member to test and see how they would look on the map.

aprs.JPG

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
After coming back from an OB meet up last night, I got my APRS to work on my Kenwood TM-v71a, using TNC3, iPad Mini with WiFi using my phone's hotspot. I was happy to see packets coming in and location being tracked. Now if I can only find another member to test and see how they would look on the map.

View attachment 187804
Laguna? My sister lived there before cashing out and moving to Vegas in 2004.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

View attachment 187804
DM sent.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I would like recommendations/feedback for a mobile rig.
My current setup is a Baofeng UV82 connected to an external antenna and a Mobilinkd TNC3; I then have a tablet running APRSDroid connect via bluetooth to the TNC3. This setup works great (I can send/receive packets; smart beaconing, message APRS users, send SMS and email, etc.).
The issue with my current setup is that it is only 8 watts, and I would like something with a little more power.

I would like a mobile rig that can connect to an Android tablet, and will allow the full functionality of APRSDroid (including messaging from the tablet).

I do not want an FTM-400 (trying to use a touchscreen off road is too difficult, plus I don't believe Yaesu follows the APRS spec).

If anyone has a setup that supports my current use case, please post suggestions.

Thanks!
You are in the same boat as me.

Your Mobilinkd TNC will plug into a Kenwood TM-V71A with a new data cable from Mobilinkd. This is exactly how my APRS setup has been running for 4 years now.

Curt_JK

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

666 Florin Road, Sacramento 95831
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QMH
I believe that the TM-D710 has BT and would work with APRSDroid. How does APRSDroid work for you as a general nav tool? Imports/exports data (e.g. GPX)? Downloadable maps? Rich map set?
Right now I use Gaia for navigation (but plan to switch to Backcountry Navigator once my Gaia subscription expires, as Backcountry Navigator can display APRS as a layer over the basemaps).
The APRSDroid basemap I use is an optimized Open Street Maps file of the US; you cannot navigate or display a GPX file with APRSDroid.
When in the backcountry I use APRSDroid to see the location of other rigs in my group and to send messages.

It seems the majority of the feedback is for a Kenwood radio (thanks all); that's where I'll focus my research.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Mobilinkd users, how does its battery life affect your operations? Do you leave it plugged in all of the time in your vehicles? I have one that I barely used and loaned out before the zombie apocalypse and need to get it back. Impressive device!

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Mobilinkd users, how does its battery life affect your operations? Do you leave it plugged in all of the time in your vehicles? I have one that I barely used and loaned out before the zombie apocalypse and need to get it back. Impressive device!
It will last a couple of days. Since it's in my Jeep I just keep it plugged into a switched usb outlet. Jeep on it's charging, if I turn the Jeep off but leave the tnc and radio on, it runs off it's internal battery.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I live in Sacramento (we might have met on a Zoom meeting?). If you need to test radios or get out to the backcountry let me know.
Thanks Curt, appreciate it. I just tested earlier today and I now see how another person will look like on the APRS map. Very cool for sure!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I leave mine plugged in all the time. In the Mobilinkd app I have the power to turn on manually and to turn off with power via USB is disconnected.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My battery lasted the whole Memorial Day Trip... at home it resides in my go-box and I charge it once a month... but I only run digital with it on Sundays for a couple of hours.
I really can’t say anything bad about the TNC3. Other than some programs (WinLink on Windows 10) are kind of a bear to program, but then again (WinLink on Windows 10 is a bear to program on my IC-7100 as well)

I have a dedicated 110w radio connected to my TNC3. I fallowed THIS article but changed from the Kenwood TK-790 to the more powerful TK-790H. The only problem with these radios is there isn’t a VFO, so you need to know the frequencies you are going to be operating on and program them in. The programming software is $10.00, programming cable is about $12.00 and you can get a TK-790 for under $100 the TK-790h is about the same for the radio itself but most don’t have the face and the remote face kit is expensive (although I found the parts to build my own kit for under $20.00). Now this setup isn’t for the light of heart as a good eye, steady hands, and soldering skills are required.
I did a write up on building my packet radio fail low from the fallowing post onward