I would love some feedback on planning my first real trip-Southeast US planning on escaping the summer heat

• HTML tutorial

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

So, why are those roads closed? I don’t recall GA closing their state parks and this is a National Forest. Some established campgrounds might be closed, but the roads? I was in N GA last weekend and folks were out all over the place, though I didn’t leave the pavement.

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

The link I inserted above indicates they are closed due to Covid 19. I drove some of the trails in early March and there were crowds of people at the trailheads. Most license plates were from down towards Atlanta. It was probably necessary to keep the crowds from gathering.

Schake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ellicott City, MD, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Schaffer
Member #

With experts concerned over mental health of those cooped up, and science telling us it's safe and healthy to get outdoors, as long as we maintain safe distancing, it makes sense to open up the parks and forests.
Maybe too many of us have shown an unwillingness to believe the science and listen to the doctors, and just refuse to observe safe behaviors. Puts every one of us in danger.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Ocala national and most Florida parks appear to be opening/are open. I'm hoping Georgia follows suite quickly...

Reactions: Lil Bear

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Ocala national and most Florida parks appear to be opening/are open. I'm hoping Georgia follows suite quickly...
GA is supposed to be open now but we shall see. I feel like a lot of the parks just didn't care to open back up when they could have. They could've been open for a little bit now. From everything i've seen and whatnot, it's more about the money then the Covid. Just my 2 pennies!

nitteo

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
First Name
C
Last Name
J
Member #

The Desoto Falls Recreational Area is still closed. Still a few too many roads associated with the traverse are closed too. I see that a few areas are starting to open though so hopefully it won’t be long.
In Desoto we were able to reserve spots 1 month from now in june for me and my crew of 8.

BiggB74

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Hey everyone, I've been on here reading for a long while now and finally thought I would start being a little active.

As we are coming up to the typical summer vacation season, I think I want to plan a camping/overland trip. We usually always use my vacation time to head to Canada for a few weeks as we have a family own3d cabin there. As of now, I don't expect the border to open up this year unfortunately. I have literally never missed a year at our cabin in my entire life, and that's a little sad.

That being said, I figured I would take my vacation time and plan a camping/overland trip. My problem is living in Florida, I want to escape the heat. The southeast is likely not going to be a great option for the summer months, but possibly the mountains in Georgia, Tennessee, and the like might be cooler? I would love feedback form people as to where I might consider going for a first time road trip/overland planner. My wife and I have a 4 months old currently, so trying to not go overboard just in case, especially for a first attempt.

Thoughts and feedback?
North Carolina mountains are nice in the summer. If you can go late in the summer you might be able to time the seasonal color change in the forest. Beutiful! and the nights still get down where you can enjoy a camp fire, bonus.

Reactions: haaken675

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Its looking more and more like things are closing again, or just not opening up...The Georgia Forest Services site shows nearly everything closed: Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests - Recreation

I know a good amount of the Georgia Traverse goes through the forest. It looks like they just closed things again this month....Does it make more sense to just plan on going out west? I'm not thinking the Canadian border is opening this year and i need to get OUT.

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

Its looking more and more like things are closing again, or just not opening up...The Georgia Forest Services site shows nearly everything closed: Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests - Recreation

I know a good amount of the Georgia Traverse goes through the forest. It looks like they just closed things again this month....Does it make more sense to just plan on going out west? I'm not thinking the Canadian border is opening this year and i need to get OUT.
I live up here with very close access to several sections of the Georgia Traverse and my impression is that things are opening up more. Two weeks ago the only gate I ran into was at Indian Grave and Tray Mountain Rd where you would access High Shoals and Blue Hole Falls. The roads were in very good condition. Lots more people than expected during the week though so I'm guessing everyone has the same idea about getting away. I haven't been back out since things seem to be spiking but I haven't heard of any more closures recently.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I live up here with very close access to several sections of the Georgia Traverse and my impression is that things are opening up more. Two weeks ago the only gate I ran into was at Indian Grave and Tray Mountain Rd where you would access High Shoals and Blue Hole Falls. The roads were in very good condition. Lots more people than expected during the week though so I'm guessing everyone has the same idea about getting away. I haven't been back out since things seem to be spiking but I haven't heard of any more closures recently.
I hope thats the case. Just looking at the website gives the impression that things are being closed rather then opened. All of this years ridiculousness is getting out of hand.

Reactions: LumixLab

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

The closures don't really make much sense though. If you notice Ruby Falls which is a major attraction and often crowded is open but High Shoals back in the woods and a litlle more of a challenge to get to is closed. Ruby Falls charges admission and is a money maker...

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I consider myself a relative newby. I have a 19 TRD OR that except for diff breathers is pretty much stock - even the tires. For the GA Traverse, I’ve done the west side up to Helen and the east side to Clayton. I only recall a few shallow water crossings, with those being in the north part of the loop that is west of Blue Ridge, GA. I think the part I have left to do is the most challenging, including Tray Mountain and Charlie’s Creek crossing. The latter is the small river you have to drive down, which I think is just west of Clayton. I also think Tray Mtn has some steep sections. In general, the traverse is a pretty simple drive - you can download the entire route to GaiaGPS.

Map link at bottom of this page:
The north section of the loop west of Blue Ridge connects with Cherokee NF in TN. That is a beautiful area near the Ocoee and Hiwassee rivers. Lots of forest service roads in that areas well.
I have done it in its entirety once. I love the area. I plan weekend trips there now and go to do the section you have skipped. I drive straight to clayton and take warwoman road up to sarahs creek campground and stay the night. Then a few miles from there take the travers track west. To me this is the most beautiful and challenging of the entire track. From there to helen can be done in a day, or break it in two. The talkulah river road to charlies creek is breathtaking and the water crossing to charlies creek is not deep even during rain. Ive done the tray mountain road east to west 4 times and west to east once at night after a dusting of snow. I have no issue doing any Of it solo but prefer a 2nd vehicle for tray. I was up there a month ago and tray mtnn road was gated closed.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I have done it in its entirety once. I love the area. I plan weekend trips there now and go to do the section you have skipped. I drive straight to clayton and take warwoman road up to sarahs creek campground and stay the night. Then a few miles from there take the travers track west. To me this is the most beautiful and challenging of the entire track. From there to helen can be done in a day, or break it in two. The talkulah river road to charlies creek is breathtaking and the water crossing to charlies creek is not deep even during rain. Ive done the tray mountain road east to west 4 times and west to east once at night after a dusting of snow. I have no issue doing any Of it solo but prefer a 2nd vehicle for tray. I was up there a month ago and tray mtnn road was gated closed.
I see you drive a 4Runner. So no issues going up Tray Mtn? Is it easier going west-to-east? I’d like to try it the easiest way first and generally go by myself. I haven’t “skipped” that section, I’ve just done part of the east end as I have family that lives not too far from Clayton. I’m kinda doing a flip-flop:). It sounds like I may have saved the best for last. I’m hoping to get up there and finish it this fall.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I haven't been back out since things seem to be spiking but I haven't heard of any more closures recently.
When you do more testing, the number of positive results will increase. As the number of test machines increases, so will the number of positives. Sounds like a great reason to panic and ”close” the outdoors. Pretty soon, folks will start going “postal” from being locked up. Who’s fault will that be? Sorr,y, I think closing a National Forest for anything except a fire or tornado damage is just dumb and a waste if my taxes.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I see you drive a 4Runner. So no issues going up Tray Mtn? Is it easier going west-to-east? I’d like to try it the easiest way first and generally go by myself. I haven’t “skipped” that section, I’ve just done part of the east end as I have family that lives not too far from Clayton. I’m kinda doing a flip-flop:). It sounds like I may have saved the best for last. I’m hoping to get up there and finish it this fall.
I havent had any issues. Id say all but a few miles of the traverse can be done in 2wd with decent tires and good ground clearance. I am lifted 3” on 33” tires. Its probably easier going west to east on tray because the tougher terrain will be on the downhill side of the track. I prefer taking it east to west and working that stuff going uphill. It takes a little more thought in line choices but i feel i have more control of the vehicle And my speed in that direction. Honestly the only real obstacle that might stop you would be downed trees following bad weather. I have spent a fair amount of time cutting and pulling trees off the road. Im sure you are aware of that already, but be sure to carry what is needed for that in your recovery kit. Plan carefully. My last trip was the first one where I attempted tray but found the road closed. The forest service shuts it regularly. Tallulah river and charlies creek roads are gorgeous enough to be worth the trip on their own though. Taking warwoman road out of clayton you will lose cell service as soon as you leave town. Fyi.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I havent had any issues. Id say all but a few miles of the traverse can be done in 2wd with decent tires and good ground clearance. I am lifted 3” on 33” tires. Its probably easier going west to east on tray because the tougher terrain will be on the downhill side of the track. I prefer taking it east to west and working that stuff going uphill. It takes a little more thought in line choices but i feel i have more control of the vehicle And my speed in that direction. Honestly the only real obstacle that might stop you would be downed trees following bad weather. I have spent a fair amount of time cutting and pulling trees off the road. Im sure you are aware of that already, but be sure to carry what is needed for that in your recovery kit. Plan carefully. My last trip was the first one where I attempted tray but found the road closed. The forest service shuts it regularly. Tallulah river and charlies creek roads are gorgeous enough to be worth the trip on their own though. Taking warwoman road out of clayton you will lose cell service as soon as you leave town. Fyi.
Awesome info. Thanks! I have seen the videos of folks going east-to-west and having to go up that large rock step on the incline. I think that is probably what you are referencing. Do you recall about where that is?

Yeah, the rest is pretty easy in terms of needing only 2WD. I did take the northeastern part of the loop just west of Blue Ridge in late spring, coming down from the Ocoee area ( did south part earlier). There was a bit of snow and the creek crossings were a little deep, but it sure was fun.

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

I have a video clip of that area on my instagram overland louisiana. It can be as difficult or easy as you want depending on your line. I have gone through it with guys in their 20s doing it mostly on three wheels? But im 53 and wheel mostly like a 53year old. I mean i have a lot of time and money invested in my rig. The wheeling i do isnt for the sake of wheeling but rather a means to get from point a to b via nature. There are other areas that are washed out and rutted that look just as intimidating but all of it has rock at the bottom. You wont get stuck.