I need your Winter Camping Tips

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Usually when the snow flies and the leaves fall, I tuck the motorcycles into the garage and start thinking of spring. This year, however, I am going on an overnight trip to the Sun Tunnels in Utah with a group.

This is going to be wide open desert (think dry lake bed), with no wind breaks aside from what we bring. I plan to sleep in the back of my rig for shelter and bring as much firewood as I can possibly carry for the communal fire.

What are your tips for keeping warm, sleeping, and so forth when faced with bitter cold and ripping wind? The point of the trip is to see the sun rise through the sun tunnels, so waiting for the day to warm up will defeat the point.

Reactions: TheDistanceBetween

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Layers, Layers, Layers! Whether you're up and about or sleeping - having the right layers will make all the difference. I usually start with form fitting merino wool, as it's good in warm and cold weather and then I build!!
Also - in windy conditions, avoid cottons as your outer layers - they won't do squat.

I picked up this jacket a month or so ago and got to put it to the test a couple of weeks ago out on top of a local mountain.
What an awesome outer layer!

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/alaskan-hardgear/32211.aspx?processor=content

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

This may sound really basic, but sometimes we forget the simple things. When setting up camp if possible park your vehicle about 15 feet from where the fire will be, on the side form which the wind is blowing. Then place your storage boxes, ice chests and anything else substantial against your vehicle on the groud effectively creating a wind block between your vehicle and the fire. This usually helps quite bit to keep you warm.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

A balaclava is a great option, especially in windy conditions. It can replace 2-3 separate pieces of clothing (beanie, scarf, etc...) and is more effective than any of those at keeping the wind out of any gaps. Plus, you get to look like a ninja.
Agreed.
I also put a normal toque (knitted cap for you non-Canucks) over top of the balaclava and then my parka hood over top of all that.
I typically sleep with the balaclava on too. The version that has the nose covered works better than the large round hole version. I prefer the large round hole version for normal adventuring though.

A proper neck warmer does wonders as well... I keep this one with me at all times. The micro-fleece is excellent to keep the wind out. I can have it up the back of my head and my toque overtop of it.... so it covers the ears as well as my neck and nose. Just my eyes are visible typically.

i27216.jpg

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Agreed.
I also put a normal toque (knitted cap for you non-Canucks) over top of the balaclava and then my parka hood over top of all that.
I typically sleep with the balaclava on too. The version that has the nose covered works better than the large round hole version. I prefer the large round hole version for normal adventuring though.

A proper neck warmer does wonders as well... I keep this one with me at all times. The micro-fleece is excellent to keep the wind out. I can have it up the back of my head and my toque overtop of it.... so it covers the ears as well as my neck and nose. Just my eyes are visible typically.

View attachment 11096
I have a neck warmer that gets use many months of the year as well. It's an amazing piece of gear!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Quality outerwear has been the trick for me. I nearly froze to death at expo west 2015 during Snomageddon even with several layers on. I found a 3 in 1 Columbia parka on sale later that year and snagged it, it's made a HUGE difference.

Also, if you want to stay super toasty in your rig, check out the Mr. Heater Buddy unit, it is 100% safe for enclosed areas and has tip-over and low O2 safeguards (though I still crack the tent/vehicle window just in case). Best 90 bucks I've ever spent. We can maintain 65-70 degrees in our RTT at 20 degrees ambient, makes momma very happy.

Reactions: DanR

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Quality outerwear has been the trick for me. I nearly froze to death at expo west 2015 during Snomageddon even with several layers on. I found a 3 in 1 Columbia parka on sale later that year and snagged it, it's made a HUGE difference.

Also, if you want to stay super toasty in your rig, check out the Mr. Heater Buddy unit, it is 100% safe for enclosed areas and has tip-over and low O2 safeguards (though I still crack the tent/vehicle window just in case). Best 90 bucks I've ever spent. We can maintain 65-70 degrees in our RTT at 20 degrees ambient, makes momma very happy.
No propane powered heater is 100% safe in an enclosed area. I've use my Buddy heater in my tent as well... but a large dose of caution is required. It IS fire inside a tent/vehicle after all.

I didn't want to sound preachy but also wanted others to realize it can be VERY dangerous.

I tested my buddy heater in my FJ a couple years ago with a carbon monoxide detector too. It kept going with no alarm being activated until it depleted the oxygen enough inside the FJ that it shut off. So I would not want to sleep in an enclosed vehicle with a fire going like that... especially since it gets VERY hot. I have a friend that would place a little tray on the top of his buddy heater and cook his lunch on it while he was ice fishing.

The time I slept in the FJ with it going I warmed things up.... crawled into my bag... then shut it off. I kept a window cracked all night as well to reduce the moisture buildup inside. When it was time to get up in the morning I reached out of my bag and turned it on and let it warm things up prior to getting out of the warm cozy bag. There was still a LOT of moisture buildup on the inside of the vehicle (think of a HEAVY dew buildup and that's what it resembled). I probably should have had the window cracked open more.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

No propane powered heater is 100% safe in an enclosed area. I've use my Buddy heater in my tent as well... but a large dose of caution is required. It IS fire inside a tent/vehicle after all.

I didn't want to sound preachy but also wanted others to realize it can be VERY dangerous.

I tested my buddy heater in my FJ a couple years ago with a carbon monoxide detector too. It kept going with no alarm being activated until it depleted the oxygen enough inside the FJ that it shut off. So I would not want to sleep in an enclosed vehicle with a fire going like that... especially since it gets VERY hot. I have a friend that would place a little tray on the top of his buddy heater and cook his lunch on it while he was ice fishing.

The time I slept in the FJ with it going I warmed things up.... crawled into my bag... then shut it off. I kept a window cracked all night as well to reduce the moisture buildup inside. When it was time to get up in the morning I reached out of my bag and turned it on and let it warm things up prior to getting out of the warm cozy bag. There was still a LOT of moisture buildup on the inside of the vehicle (think of a HEAVY dew buildup and that's what it resembled). I probably should have had the window cracked open more.
Perhaps I should clarify that it is advertised as "100% safe" and (like any mechanical device) can potentially fail or be deadly when mis-used.

We could start a whole additional thread to discuss the buddy heaters and best practices for its use in various scenarios. All I'm saying here is that it is extremely effective, and will keep you totally comfortable in a confined space. We have used it successfully on a consistent basis and highly recommend it to others looking to stay warm.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Perhaps I should clarify that it is advertised as "100% safe" and (like any mechanical device) can potentially fail or be deadly when mis-used.

We could start a whole additional thread to discuss the buddy heaters and best practices for its use in various scenarios. All I'm saying here is that it is extremely effective, and will keep you totally comfortable in a confined space. We have used it successfully on a consistent basis and highly recommend it to others looking to stay warm.
Agreed... they are great! I recommend them all the time as well.
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
One important thing we learned last March in 10 to 15 degree nights.
Our Big Agnes bags are rated for 15 degrees and we both froze our butts off for two nights. We went into town and I got on line and did a bit of research about being so darned cold in these state of the art bags.... We were wearing our longjohns to bed. Big mistake, as wearing longjohns prevents your body heat from warming the bag.. lesson learned.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I've heard of some who will pour boiling water into a nalgene and put that in their sleeping bag to add heat.
I do that trick. Showed it to a whole group of Brits many years ago and some of them still keep in touch.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using OB Talk mobile app

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Agreed... they are great! I recommend them all the time as well.
:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
I've been thinking of something like that for my Oztent. I've heard that propane source like these produce a lot of moisture. Any experience with that?

I am good with cold weather camping but if I could get a warm tent, why not?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using OB Talk mobile app