Hurricane creek to max patch NC

• HTML tutorial

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

I’m so confused.

Not sure what to do about my trip to hurricane creek in a couple of weeks.

Some so it’s a piece of cake and others say it’s tough.

Anyone interested in meeting up on the morning of the 19th?

DocTorres112

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Torres
Member #

I spoke with Chris (@DocTorress112). He got to 105 with his boys and found a campsite. He ran into a little trouble, but sounds like he handled it. I'll let him give the details when he checks back in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup, we made it but ran into a snag. I'll be making a post about it shortly, covering our new patriot camper, the "issue" that I encountered, and the lessons learned!

-Chris

Reactions: St8ton

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

I’m so confused.

Not sure what to do about my trip to hurricane creek in a couple of weeks.

Some so it’s a piece of cake and others say it’s tough.

Anyone interested in meeting up on the morning of the 19th?
I understand your confusion. My posts were on the side of the less experienced and compared to videos and photos, some in this thread, I found the trail to be much rougher. My Tacoma OR has 2" lift and 31" tires and I drug a lot.

IMHO, Wanderlost's post #41 is an accurate description and should be your guide.

TRAYNC

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland, NC
First Name
Travis
Last Name
R
Member #

Rich Mountain Fire lookout tower road is cool.. just a gravel road up to a fire tower.. nice view at the top.

Reactions: ChrisBundick

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

I think I was there when I hiked Appalachian trail. I remember a big climb out of hot springs and taking a break in the tower. If it’s the tower I’m thinking of.

Didn’t know I could drive there.

Thanks for sending!

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

We arrived early at SMOR last Friday and asked about local rides. Someone recommended to go to Tennessee exit 451 off I40 and take anything dirt. The road narrowed but we continued and found several miles of good gravel road. Not really a trail like Hurricane Creek but interesting riding...........

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Looks like a change in plans for me.

Will be doing the trip next weekend instead of the 18/19th.

Anyone up for a mother’s day run up hurricane creek?
I'm going on the 12th with at least one Tacoma (maybe a few more will join). I drive a stock JK and I'm not worried about it from everything I've read and watched. His Tacoma has 35s I think and at least a 4" lift. I have a 25ft tow strap but don't plan on using it. Let me know if you're wanting to go Saturday. Thinking of running the trail then to Max Patch and, depending on time, maybe go to Wolf Creek Falls.

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm going on the 12th with at least one Tacoma (maybe a few more will join). I drive a stock JK and I'm not worried about it from everything I've read and watched. His Tacoma has 35s I think and at least a 4" lift. I have a 25ft tow strap but don't plan on using it. Let me know if you're wanting to go Saturday. Thinking of running the trail then to Max Patch and, depending on time, maybe go to Wolf Creek Falls.

We are setup to go this Sunday morning.
We are heading up to max patch afterwards, doing some trail magic for AT through hikers (we are a bunch of AT hikers).

You welcome to join us.
Just let me know.
I’m headed up smokies on Friday and probably won’t have cell service.

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

We are setup to go this Sunday morning.
We are heading up to max patch afterwards, doing some trail magic for AT through hikers (we are a bunch of AT hikers).

You welcome to join us.
Just let me know.
I’m headed up smokies on Friday and probably won’t have cell service.
Gotta spend time with my mom that day. Don't think I'll convince her to go ride around and hike... We'll get up sometime.

Mrbman29

Rank 0

Traveler I

Finally did hurricane creek.

It’s not bad at all.
I really liked the trail and had a lot of fun.

Went up to max patch to watch sunset and do some star gazing, beautiful.

The trail was longer than expected. Took us 1 hr and 40 minutes from start of trail to max patch.

Highly recommended!
Stock Tacoma OR and Jeep did great and passed all obstacles with ease.

Reactions: ProcTheDr

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

I too did Hurricane Creek over the weekend. Not difficult at all. Would recommend for someone who has never been wheelin before. Wasn't daunting at any point or cause any need for doubt or to turn around. Maybe two spots could be deemed technical.

I'd go back after a hard rain or snowfall which would make it more fun for those who are experienced.

There were a couple spots for some primitive camping.

kappels

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Chattanooga, TN
Member #

I too did Hurricane Creek over the weekend. Not difficult at all. Would recommend for someone who has never been wheelin before. Wasn't daunting at any point or cause any need for doubt or to turn around. Maybe two spots could be deemed technical.

I'd go back after a hard rain or snowfall which would make it more fun for those who are experienced.

There were a couple spots for some primitive camping.
Helpful info! Definitely need to make my way up this route soon!