Hunting...and I mean any type of hunting.

• HTML tutorial

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

When I built my rig I built it with multiple purposes in mind. Overlanding, exploring and adventure, of course, but also hunting. Am I the only one that uses his rig for hunting? Whether it whitetails, birds, big game, alligators, Bigfoot or UFO’s, I’d love to hear about how you’ve built out your rig to support your hunting habit. Pictures always welcome!

PBDNavigate

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I use my truck for hunting. Many a dead animal has ridden in the bed. But I never really “built it out”. Just did what I had to do. It is a Ram 1500 and like most half ton trucks these days are not really meant to be driven off road. They sit low and have those front air dams on them because they are built for fuel economy. I almost tore my front air dam off the first night I had the truck just pulling up to the curb in a parking lot. Pathetic that a 4x4 truck can’t even clear a curb. Oh well, so I went and got the Mopar 2” lift installed on it. That did the job but now it looked silly with the stock tires so I eventually upgraded those when they started to get a little worn. Other than that I have not really done anything to make it more off road or hunt ready. The picture is from up in Maine in July.

Attachments

TxasYukonXL

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Jackson Jr
Member #

Have a 2017 Ram 1500 Sport have only installed adjustable 5100s at highest setting to fit 34" Terra Grapplers on stock rims and rear air bags to level off during heavy towing...

Believe 1500 is plenty of truck for me with the light off roading I plan on doing

Wish front bumper was slightly more capable to accept a winch

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

We use our truck for everything hog hunting, hauling hay/tractors/livestock, offroading, getting groceries, daily driver for my wifes commute, hauling our boat to and from lakes, carrying kayaks, carrying lumber/rocks/concrete, hauling a rv, and finally tow vehicle for our rock crawler.
Sounds like a work horse!

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

one of the main goals in building my rig is to do a caribou hunt along the Dalton in Alaska, as well as elk and moose out west in in CA.
That’s awesome. I had a similar vision in mind when I built mine. That said, I’ll be taking my truck South instead of north soon to get it in the marsh and bring home a gator - some thing I’ve always wanted to stalk.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
I use the van for big game hunts - deer, elk, pronghorn. I'll take the truck for birds, small game, because I'm usually not spending the night.
Pronghorn hunt near Recluse, WY a couple of weeks ago...
Next stop - Elk hunt in the Valle Vidal starting next Saturday...

wyo3 (2).jpg
wyo6 (2).jpg
wyo9 (3).jpg