Rank III

Enthusiast III

Fairfax CA, USA
First Name
Conor
Last Name
Burns
Member #

I'm building out a new to me FJ Cruiser, while keeping in mind what I liked and didn't like about previous rigs. Capable, reliable, and organized are my goals for this one. I would add simplicity, but we all have different definitions of that. It's not my daily driver which makes it much easier to accomplish. Our first trip is only a week or two away and I can't wait!

Reactions: Kevin108

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm facing the same dilemma. In 2020, I went from a 2007 FJ Cruiser, which I was completely in love with and ready to drive for eternity, to trying to find a comparable vehicle in the lockdown market when insurance provided a not-yet-adjusted replacement value and 30¢ on the dollar for all the bolt-ons that were damaged or simply not worth the effort to remove.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to try something different and build a 3/4 ton pickup with a 6' bed and a camper shell, or to just get a new 4Runner with its dated interior that still feels so much like beloved FJ. I don't think this next build will be the last one I ever do, but it would be the first build I ever get to start with a completely new vehicle.
I made my decision yesterday. All I ever talk about is how good my FJ was. I was really impressed with the current 4Runner, but that was because of how much the dash reminded me of my FJ. With that in mind, I decided to build another FJ. I'd like to find a 13-14, but I'm open to other deals as well. From what I remember based on production numbers, I think approximately half of them are 2007s, so that may be what I wind up with yet again.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I love my Pajero. But... to play along, if money were no object and we're daydreaming, I'd love a Jeep Wrangler 392 or, a Rivian R1S.

To be more realistic, Toyota made a short-wheelbase, two-door version of the Land Cruiser 120 Prado. I would really like one of these and have seen a few decked-out ones around.

1681937539107.png

JackAttack

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ripley QLD, Australia
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Fredericks
Member #

I'd purchase the same 2016 Ford Ranger with the 3.2L 5cyl but this time around I'd start my modification process from the ground up and with much more focus on weight from the beginning.

Reactions: Kevin108

thesyncroviking

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Market Warsop, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

A classic LWB W460/461 G-Wagen or newer W461 Pur with Entdecker roof and barn doors. I'd update the interior a little to make it more comfortable with Recaro seats and a Bluetooth head unit, USB sockets.

1681995452481.png

Then I would build a trailer to carry all the gear, probably an ex-Bundeswehr 1 ton unit with box body.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I'd buy a boat.

Overland brown water style.

Maybe mount quad .50's on the fore deck, a couple M240 on the rear if I'm going near St.Louis, good PA system with "Fortunate Son" on continuous loop.

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

Starting over? What a great question!
Answer: 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X. I have a 2013. Starting over, I'd want the last (and best) of the Nissan Xterra line.
An Xterra? Really? Why?
  • Attachment, Continuity, and History - it's the only vehicle I've had an emotional attachment to. Too many good memories to throw away and start over with something new. Started with a 2010 Xterra. And if feels like home.
  • It's "Old School" like me - OK, a 2015 isn't Old School like a 2005, but relative to many tech-heavy machines on the road, it's Old School.
  • Little goes wrong with it. Like my old Toyota Corolla. Then again, I'm kind to it.
  • Nissan stopped producing the Second Generation Xterra in 2015. It's not coming back. I have a thing for lost causes.
  • And because everyone doesn't have one.
IMG_1455.jpegScreen Shot 2023-05-13 at 6.59.17 AM.png

Salt

Rank V

Advocate III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Flecke
Member #

I'd buy a boat.

Overland brown water style.

Maybe mount quad .50's on the fore deck, a couple M240 on the rear if I'm going near St.Louis, good PA system with "Fortunate Son" on continuous loop.
Thank you! A refreshing answer. But for me, better than a boat, is a friend with a boat (I know how much work goes into owning a boat, has to be a labor of love).

Last edited:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'd start hunting for clean Land Rover LR4's ... and move as much from my current build over to it. I can't stand the tiny windows of most of the options people tend to go for (jeeps, tacomas, etc). I need my big box on air suspension with a 5.0L V8 and almost 400hp and 700+ miles of range with a long ranger fuel tank.

I wouldn't change a thing. :grinning:

I do love the comfort and space of a full size, but I value turning radius and being narrow enough to fit down trails. Just run into too many places where a full size would not be fun.

Reactions: Salt

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Have already started entertaining a new approach to our overlanding. The RTT fly is already seeing the effects of UV and my wife nearly broke her leg climbing onto a slippery ladder one morning.

So we have our eye out for an ex-military style Iveco. Will build the box and fit out the build ourselves. But for sure it needs to be very offroad capable.

image_editor_1670250118109.jpg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'd get something that could eat slab faster, without getting tipsy with a camper on its back. And redundant tires.

F550 cc drw 4x4, with a Bundtec tray camper. Detroit lockers front and rear.

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Either an old XJ, modified to suit, if I wanted to go with something smaller.
Ambo conversion if I wanted to go bigger.
LMTV if I really wanted to go wild.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

My jeep was rear ended last January and when they cut the check, I got another jeep with a turbo diesel, added a 3.5" lift and 37s. What I always wanted. Previous jeep had a 2" lift and 33s, was good but not great.
Now, I can go where most can't, which is exactly what I was going for, I dislike neighbors when I camp.
20230527_135702.jpg

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I drive a 2016 JKU rubi. 35s, all decked out and I haul an expedition trailer. I would probably go back to a Tacoma. I’ve had several and never broke one. My Jeep goes far more places than my Toyotas but my Tacoma’s were more than capable and lasted forever.

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA
First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

if I had to start over, I wouldn't change much.

I wanted a vehicle that was very capable off-road but is also comfortable to drive on the road, which translates into FORD BRONCO. These were the selling points for me:

- SUV
- 35" tires
- 11.5" ground clearance
- front locker
- rear locker
- enough room for me to sleep in the back if desired
- lots of aftermarket support and mods
- 360-degree camera
- sway bar disconnect
- thriving community
- adaptive cruise control
- great approach, breakover, and departure angles
- 4 Hi/Lo
- looks cool

I don't know of a vehicle that checks all of these boxes. A Jeep comes close, but the solid front axle doesn't feel great on pavement.

One thing I might do differently, and it's certainly not too late, is to remove one or both of the rear seats and install a full storage system such as Goose Gear, rather than put a slide-out storage drawer in the back. I am not using the rear seats for anything so I may as well take them out.

Last edited:

NoMoreGreen

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Mckinney Texas
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Redacted
Member #

I currently am building a 2020 tundra. Though, I purchased before my issues with Toyota and it just made since to keep it after they got resolved.

probably an f350 7.3 gasser would be my route.
Or a gladiator, jeep wrangler 4 door, bronco.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Love the WJ, wish I had got one when they were newer. It has everything going for it except age and size to fit me. Since I am 6' 4" and not comfortable in much else, I'd start over with a full size and live within the limitations.

I'd go 2016-2017 F-150 SuperCab, 5.0, FX4, slap on a lift and 35's and not look back. And I am almost there in pulling the trigger, as my time to maintain and upgrade an older vehicle is very limited right now.

And in my dreams I would win the lottery and have my 78 full size Cherokee restored and modified to my liking. It hits all the markers for an over the hill gearhead like me.