archer75

Rank I

Contributor III

Oregon, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Thomas
Something i'm debating now. I have a stock ram 2500 with the diesel. Not a fan of the weight of that diesel offroad so i'm considering a change. As well as selling our travel trailer so I won't have to have that truck. But I do like the space. I'm considering a Ram power wagon with the 6.4 gas or ford superduty tremor with the gas 7.3. Maybe the half ton versions. I've considered a jeep or bronco but then i'd likely need a small offroad trailer for the additional gear. Not really sure what i'll do.

Last edited:

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Can’t say enough good things about my Ram Powerwagon. All the luxury in the cab you could want for and all the bells and whistles for off-roading. Front and rear lockers, disconnecting sway bar, massive power, 12 inch screen viewing your off road info all while enjoying heated/ cooled leather seats and steering wheel, while enjoying satellite music in the middle of no where. If you’re not looking to do tight quarters and extreme rock crawling, this truck is awesome!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I play this game daily... and the answer is different every time. At the end of the day I do believe I'd rebuild something like my truck/FWC, but a 2 door JL Rubicon and a light adventure trailer would be a front-runner too.

-TJ

Reactions: OTH Overland

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
Been through a couple SUVs, my truck and now a Jeep. Will say the Jeep currently fits the adventures we like more than previous vehicles. If I started over, Rubicon 4XE. Since I daily my rig and only a short distance I like the idea. After watching a couple on the trail and talking to owners, it would be a near perfect fit.

While a Gladiator/Bison/RAM2500 would be nice as well, I like the idea of additional storage, wouldn't fit my garage or budget.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm facing the same dilemma. In 2020, I went from a 2007 FJ Cruiser, which I was completely in love with and ready to drive for eternity, to trying to find a comparable vehicle in the lockdown market when insurance provided a not-yet-adjusted replacement value and 30¢ on the dollar for all the bolt-ons that were damaged or simply not worth the effort to remove.

1678958610526.png

1678958639664.png

I wound up with a 2006 GX 470, simply because the greater off-road community had not completely caught on yet to what they actually are. Plus, I found one with some minor paint blemishes, but a pristine interior. It is a fine vehicle, and does everything I need it to, but it lacks all the character of the FJ, from the unusual appearance to the selectable rear locker. While I was forced to start over, I was also forced to choose a vehicle I was unlikely to have gotten into otherwise.

1678958713317.png

Other than my mortgage, I will have no other debt after next month. I'm counting down the last 9 years before I'm eligible to retire. In a normal market, I would go used again. But with things like they are, I feel like I'm better off just buying new, building it and paying it all off in my earning years, then entering retirement with a completed vehicle for which I have the comfort of knowing the entire service history.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to try something different and build a 3/4 ton pickup with a 6' bed and a camper shell, or to just get a new 4Runner with its dated interior that still feels so much like beloved FJ. I don't think this next build will be the last one I ever do, but it would be the first build I ever get to start with a completely new vehicle.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Starting over? Whoa- not easy to answer. Our 80series/LX450 is one darn nice truck. I’d be tempted to do it all again if I were 10 years younger. Reality sets in once in a while and I realize I’m soon going to be 70 years young, my darlin is right behind me at 67- I think we’d find an LX470 and drag an Airstream Basecamp behind us.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Since the engine blew in my 2011 F-150 Ecoboost I'm in that dilema now. I decided it wasn't worth it to spend the kind of money they were asking to replace the engine, North of $10K. The truck had 170,000 miles and needed a new front bumper and how long was it going to be before the transmission went out on it. I sold it and now drive my wife's 2014 Malibu since she bought a 2020 Jeep Renegade. I plan to get a new to me truck but going to take my time finding the right deal. I might look at other options like the Bronco.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
I would take the money and fly around the world with carry-on luggage; renting electric bicycles and staying in AirBnbs.
I tell people all the time that getting rooms isn't only for moto riders. We met a woman in Colombia who didn't have a tent, cooler, stove, etc...she had driven down from the US just as we had. She did eventually get a RTT and single burner butane stove but she ended up tagging along with us in the remote southern regions of Argentina because she didn't want to free camp alone. She preferred getting AirBnBs and meeting the hosts along the way over being off in the wild places. We also have friends that sold their rig after 5 years and are hopping around others parts of the world with a couple backpacks. They will eventually buy a van in Europe but until then, they are enjoying the rigless lifestyle all the same.

To the original question. We've been toying with the idea of cutting the van body off behind the cab and building our own habitation. An alternative would be to get a Fuso/Canter and build a habitation for it but we'd loose pass through which we absolutely love. Our biggest hangup with a van is the hardship of working on the engine. We love the Iveco chassis but it's essentially the same as a van so why also add the difficulty of getting parts in the States. If we decide that we have no more multi-year trips in us, or maybe just Africa, we would love to somehow end up with a diesel pop top Troopy.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Since were not really in that position but I would consider a earth roamer

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My 2002 Silverado 2500hd is not worth much if it did get into an accident. I probably wouldn't start over immediately. If I did, however, I still stick with a full size truck. I can't see myself going smaller, even though there are some awesome mid-size trucks out there.

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

I actually just did this.

My old 02 Xterra snapped a timing belt in August of '22, got lucky that it didnt take the engine out with it and I put a new water pump and belt on. However I knew I was on borrowed time. I looked at the Taco for a bit, and ultimately settled against it. Mainly because I like to rock crawl and do tougher off roading as well as just getting out in the forest for camping trips.This lead me to the Wrangler and Bronco. Since I wasnt willing to wait 1yr+ for a bronco, and the solid front axle for the Wrangler I placed a custom order in October '22 for a 2 door Rubicon, and none too soon because the week before it was delivered (early December '22) the Xterra blew a head gasket. With our son just turning 18 and we only have 2 beagles for dogs the 2 door is the perfect fit and I dont regret downsizing as much as we did at all.

Already have onboard air, switch system, and started a diy storage platform in the back. All of our ground camping stuff moves over from the Xterra minus the chairs which are just a bit too big for the space we have in the JL but thats a small issue. This year will be bumpers and a winch, plus building out the drawers, storage and platform for the dogs to be anchored to. The future holds 37s and a lift plus who knows what with how big the aftermarket is for the Jeeps.

Overall I have zero regrets picking up the Wrangler and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

My old 02 Xterra snapped a timing belt in August of '22, got lucky that it didnt take the engine out with it and I put a new water pump and belt on. However I knew I was on borrowed time. I looked at the Taco for a bit, and ultimately settled against it. Mainly because I like to rock crawl and do tougher off roading as well as just getting out in the forest for camping trips.This lead me to the Wrangler and Bronco. Since I wasnt willing to wait 1yr+ for a bronco, and the solid front axle for the Wrangler I placed a custom order in October '22 for a 2 door Rubicon, and none too soon because the week before it was delivered (early December '22) the Xterra blew a head gasket. With our son just turning 18 and we only have 2 beagles for dogs the 2 door is the perfect fit and I dont regret downsizing as much as we did at all.

Already have onboard air, switch system, and started a diy storage platform in the back. All of our ground camping stuff moves over from the Xterra minus the chairs which are just a bit too big for the space we have in the JL but thats a small issue. This year will be bumpers and a winch, plus building out the drawers, storage and platform for the dogs to be anchored to. The future holds 37s and a lift plus who knows what with how big the aftermarket is for the Jeeps.

Overall I have zero regrets picking up the Wrangler and would do it again in a heartbeat.
I’m in the same boat… sold the 2021 JT and bought a 1995 Jeep YJ.
I loved the JT for its comfort and storage, but it no longer fit our budget.
We are now slowly bringing the YJ up to reliability on and off the trail. Fixing the problems as we find them (exhaust, fuel leak, battery, just ordered steering components) and performing maintenance (oil change, diff fluid, axle seals soon, coolant flush coming). We have moved extra power, onboard air, hard mount GMRS, and fridge over while finding ways to utilize every space and nook to its full potential for our camping equipment.
After our 4 day trip on the Georgia Traverse, I’m looking to add fuel and water storage and to raise the rear platform to store a table and camp chairs. A Gobi-style rack system to store soft items and bumpers with recovery points and a tow hitch will be down the road.

Reactions: YoKramer

YoKramer

Rank IV

Influencer II

Concord NC
Member #

I’m in the same boat… sold the 2021 JT and bought a 1995 Jeep YJ.
I loved the JT for its comfort and storage, but it no longer fit our budget.
We are now slowly bringing the YJ up to reliability on and off the trail. Fixing the problems as we find them (exhaust, fuel leak, battery, just ordered steering components) and performing maintenance (oil change, diff fluid, axle seals soon, coolant flush coming). We have moved extra power, onboard air, hard mount GMRS, and fridge over while finding ways to utilize every space and nook to its full potential for our camping equipment.
After our 4 day trip on the Georgia Traverse, I’m looking to add fuel and water storage and to raise the rear platform to store a table and camp chairs. A Gobi-style rack system to store soft items and bumpers with recovery points and a tow hitch will be down the road.
Looking forward to seeing it we will be at rigs and coffee in April for sure

Reactions: Carnage_95YJ

Oliver_29d3c7

Rank II

Enthusiast II

First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Kanervikkoaho
My Tacoma is my daily driver and is primarily outfitted for work. If I had to start over, I think I would get a van. Why? It would be more practical for what I do more of with the vehicle. My off road adventures are fairly rare...right now...and if I had to start over I think I would have to go with what makes more sense for work than play.

Enthusiast II

Sparta, WI, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Harazin
Honestly I don't even know. I'd certainly get something more capable (Overlanding wasn't even on my radar when I got my Santa Fe), but for where I live and what I do I just can't justify something like a 4Runner or Bronco.

I love the idea of the Wilderness edition Subarus, but.... CVTs. Why did they have to go with CVTs??

Maybe a Honda Passport?

Andrew Leach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX
Member #

I have a 2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road. If I were starting all over and going a non-Sprinter van route, I'd start with the very same car. Is my opinion that the combo of Mechanical Reliability and ALL the options/mods available to 4Runners makes the 4Runner the ideal American overland vehicle.
If I were starting over with a new/fresh 4Runner build, I'd rethink the electrical first. Lithium is such a superior product that I'd design an electrical system that first accommodated 1-2 Lithium house batteries. I'm much too far into buildout to start over electrical and bring batteries and all their wiring into the interior (under hood too hot for lithium). Secondly, I'd be taking a hard look at lighter weight options, using aluminum where it makes sense, lighter wood for drawer system, etc.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Would go for a LX470 over getting a 4Runner. Econobox like a Yaris for Daily work commute. Airbags in the rear for when pulling the camper with a RTT on the top instead of stiff springs. Just buy a roof rack instead of buying parts to DIY it. Move out west or southwest where there is more BLM and the like. Northeast is very difficult to find anything.

Reactions: remdude