wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I'm going to retire in 6 to 12 months and thinking a truck camper would be a fun way to see some areas of the country I have never visited (national parks, etc. out west and northeast). I've done a good bit of wilderness backbacking and truck camping with tents/hammocks off the beaten path, but have never owned an RV or spent much time in more structured campgrounds. A truck camper seems the right fit for me as I think my adventures would include stays at both formal campgrounds as a basecamp for hiking/backpacking and a truck camper should also be able to do some light offroading to backcountry locations. I tentatively see just myself going on these excursions alone with the wife and dog coming along on occasional trips. When she retires a few years later perhaps we can upgrade to something that will provide more creature comforts I think she will want.

I have a halfton 4x4 but it has the shorter 69" truck bed, so I think I might shop around to replace it with a used 2500/250 class truck with a longer bed. I probably would want a used truck camper too but there are not many around me. I plan to go to a RV dealer about 1.5 hours away in a bigger city just to familiarize myself with basic truck camper features (assuming they sell them there, haven't checked) and then continue shopping for a used truck camper within a couple hours drive. I recognize I don't know much about them, especially if there are better brands to search for and less desirable brands to avoid. I figure autotrader.com (if they still exist) and Facebook Marketplace would be 2 key places to start watching.

I have searched rvshare and outdoorsy for a truck camper to rent and experience first hand but there is nothing remotely close to me. Any suggestions about how to figure out more what I want including brands to target and things to look for/watch out for?

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Expedition Master III

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
The Mid Atlantic Overland Festival is happening as we speak in mid PA, not that I'm telling you to drive up this weekend but you might be able to see some folk in attendance by searching the hashtags on Facebook / Instagram etc. Then of course Overland Expo East will be coming a bit closer in Arrington in the Fall. You'll be able to see a few models in person there.

I'm not familiar with campers specifically, but I would start looking at websites for modded vehicles such as BringATrailer, or race-dezert. That RV dealer might have some better local insight as well on finding used products.

I have seen a FourWheelCampers in person and it was pretty neat. Hard to tell in this photo but let me try to find Mike's account and tag him here.

2023.jpg

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I would go to the Mid Atlantic Overland Festival but it isn't clear if any truck camper vendors are attending. Overland East only has a couple, but I live close so may still go.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Check out the company “four wheel camper” . They are pop ups that are well built and will hold up to rugged off road use. They hold their value and there are always used ones on the market. I wouldn’t bother with an RV dealer, they are snake oil salesmen and specialize in selling over priced junk.

Reactions: CR-Venturer

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Don't know what part of VA you're in, but I'm in Harpers Ferry, WV. I have a Snap topper camper on a Gladiator if you would be interested in seeing what that type of set-up looks like. There is a plethora of companies selling topper campers these days. My inner Dave Ramsey says if your current truck is in good condition, you should do what is needed to make it work for your current needs.
There is another company called "Topper EZ Lift" that makes a 4 post lift for a standard truck topper and has fabric closeout.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
There lots of options. You can go with a pop-up topper like Ovrlnd, Alu-cab, Harker, etc. There a lot of makers and I'm sure there is one relatively local to you. The thing with most of these is you have to build out the interiors. They are basically a shell with a bed platform.
Then you have pop-up slide-ins like some of the Four Wheel Camper models. These have interiors already built out and ready to use. They are also more expensive and weight more.

I personally have an Ovrlnd Camper made in Flagstaff and love it. But I've also had to put in a lot of work into it to make it "comfy".

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Check out the company “four wheel camper” . They are pop ups that are well built and will hold up to rugged off road use. They hold their value and there are always used ones on the market. I wouldn’t bother with an RV dealer, they are snake oil salesmen and specialize in selling over priced junk.
I've seen these at BC Overland Rally, and they are REALLY nice units designed with off roading in mind, so light weight, low center of gravity. I'm almost certain they make one designed to fit in short beds like the Tacoma and others.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Bundutec
4 wheel campers
Capris
Cirrus

Don't waste your time at an RV dealer.

250's will have to be gasoline only. Diesel engine is over 1000# less cargo capacity.

Don't fear dual rear tires. My drw goes offroad more often than my srw. Smaller tires rarely are an uissue.

Drw is 10 times more stable.

Consider also, flat bed tray units. They'll have a side door.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Lots of good advice folks. Thanks - a lot of things to consider.

Here is one reason why I think something as functional as a truck camper is closer to what I want than some of the smaller options. I've done enough car/truck camping to know that one of my struggles is feeling organized in camp. I am pretty good about fitting all my camping gear and camp kitchen into dedicated storage boxes (like Actionpackers and Sportsman trunks) - I am well organized as far as keeping things stored in these trunks in the garage and thus easy to quickly put them in the truck for transport to (and home) from my camping designation. But once I start pulling gear out at camp it goes to hell fast and I have stuff laying around. I also am going in/out of these boxes constantly which contributes to the boxes becoming disorganized inside. I feel like a truck camper will give me more room to keep things in a place where they likely will be used - for example kitchen utensils in a small kitchen drawer, maybe spices and coffee and pantry items in a small pantry shelf. A sink to make limited dish cleanup easier than unpacking/repacking my wash basins. I know truck campers will also have limited storage but it feels a couple steps ahead of what I have now. And that feels like an improvement I would find more enjoyable.

That said there are good arguments above for going smaller, lighter, cheaper. I keep going back and forth.