Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Do you want to know how to keep the water from freezing? Or is your lid getting stuck?

They make electric heaters you can drop into the water, I know people who use them for farm troughs but same idea. There's a lot of moisture in the air where I live, and every morning when I used to work early I would have to take a heat gun to my door handle to get in my Jeep. Get the can into sunlight first thing in the morning will help, you might want to move it into your rig at night just to help slow the freeze. Also, don't fill it to the tippy top or it will expand and deform your can.

Is your water the plastic one? The metal can will freeze water before the plastic one will.

Reactions: brien

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Grey water heaters. Thermally controlled so you dont have to turn them off. Dont remember the on/off temp but I know its above freezing.
I have two I use on my propane tanks that I use for my fire pits. They come with a peel and stick side. Mine are stuck to duck cloth and held on with a nylon strap.
Quite a few people use them on their lithium batteries in the winter also.

Reactions: brien

RichieFromBoston

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Nahant Ma.
Member #

Do you want to know how to keep the water from freezing? Or is your lid getting stuck?

They make electric heaters you can drop into the water, I know people who use them for farm troughs but same idea. There's a lot of moisture in the air where I live, and every morning when I used to work early I would have to take a heat gun to my door handle to get in my Jeep. Get the can into sunlight first thing in the morning will help, you might want to move it into your rig at night just to help slow the freeze. Also, don't fill it to the tippy top or it will expand and deform your can.

Is your water the plastic one? The metal can will freeze water before the plastic one will.
whats the name of the heater itself Ethan?

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army

whats the name of the heater itself Ethan?
They're called immersion heaters, I can't recommend a brand personally but just find one you like with decent reviews.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
They're called immersion heaters, I can't recommend a brand personally but just find one you like with decent reviews.
The military used gas ones a 1000 years ago when I was a young man made a hell of boom if you got too much gas in before lighting, but the would heat a 45 gal of water in no time