How Overlanders are Ruining Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm sorry...overlanding certificate? Overlanding CERTIFICATE?!?

Only in Germany would they think of such a thing.

And Massachusetts...
To drive and camp on the Cap Cod National Seashore, you have to have your vehicle inspected beyond that of the normal annual inspection. Among other things, they have to make sure you have 4 wheel drive and that you have a (wooden) platform wide enough that your Jack wont sink into the sand should you need it.
.there are rules and etiquette also
Inn NC, the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Park has been usurped from the locals by certain activist groups and an out of state judge. What we were able to enjoy freely driving for more than a century now requires government training and decals purchased via onerous fees. Once a beloved destination I frequented, I no longer visit.

1694038029045.jpeg

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I don't think it is fair to say only in Germany.

California requires you to take an online class to get your campfire permit.

If you give the bureaucracy a chance, they will regulate the fun out of everything. Self-regulating is the best if we can be consistent about it.
Just to be clear the campfire permit takes about 5 min on line and if you dont have time to do that you can drop by a CalFire or Forest Service fire station and get one.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
I'm gonna go ahead and say that SOME restrictions ARE necessary. Necessary restrictions vary according to region, landforms, wildlife, weather conditions, etc., but some are needed everywhere.

The problem that WE as consumers face is that the restrictions which the authorities devise for the supposed function of mitigating the issues caused by illegitimate users, in stead inconveniences the legitimate users enough that we abandon use altogether, and leave the areas in question to just the illegitimate users.

Of course we all know that this is the opposite of the intended effect, but the legislators look at the resulting destruction and say, "Our restrictions were not enough! Time to restrict the good guys some more, in hopes of stopping the bad guys that we're inviting in!"

This logic is not exclusive to our sport/hobby/lifestyle. It happens to fit nearly all new legislation since about the turn of the millennium.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I ran into this yesterday morning on my rounds. Rules say I can't enter the site until checkout time.
If the rule makers make it harder to enforce the rules, where do we go?
Zim
IMG-1192.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I ran into this yesterday morning on my rounds. Rules say I can't enter the site until checkout time.
If the rule makers make it harder to enforce the rules, where do we go?
Zim
View attachment 265792
In fairness, Zim, theoretically they could return to the site any time before checkout, and clean up (um...) If the maid saw my hotel room at 9 or 10 am she'd be appalled!

Reactions: DintDobbs

John_Dillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Saint Helens, Columbia County, Oregon, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Dillon
I was out testing my new setup this weekend, when a truck with a full bedload of junk came up the one way in/out trail I was on.
I think my presence alone detered them from dumping a truckbed full of stuff.
People can just be jerks. I dont know how to "fix" it. If it even can be fixed. But i know that I can do my part, clean up what i can, and not destroy. And teach others to do the same when possible.

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
I was out testing my new setup this weekend, when a truck with a full bedload of junk came up the one way in/out trail I was on.
I think my presence alone detered them from dumping a truckbed full of stuff.
People can just be jerks. I dont know how to "fix" it. If it even can be fixed. But i know that I can do my part, clean up what i can, and not destroy. And teach others to do the same when possible.

Thats all you can do, unfortunately the morons ruin it for the rest of us that respect the outdoors and want to save it for the next generation and so on.
This is not confined to overlanders , there are just as many day trippers and weekend warriors that wreak havoc as well.

A.K. Forister

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Amy
Last Name
Forister
Member #

Let’s start by arresting, fining and incarcerating ”Influencers“ into oblivion.
While I think arresting and incarcerated people for being influencers is a stretch, I agree that what they do contributes to many problems. There was a lightly used trial to a ghost town that we liked to visit every summer. Last summer, a popular youtube overlander posted a video of a trip to this ghost town. It's not that this place was hidden or anything, but there were many other trails around it, and you had to really want to go to this place because it was so out of the way. His video named the place and how to get there, showed all of the buildings still standing, etc. He did say it was on private property and to please respect the trail, the structures, blah, blah. Well, predictably, it was overrun this summer and damaged, and now it's closed. So thanks youtube overlander. You benefitted from one of our favorite places, and that action led to the rest of us losing access.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@ThundahBeagle @North American Sojourner I nearly said some thing similar - it could also be that somebody left their trash bag to go hike or some such, and raccoons/bears/other animals found it and got in.

Sadly, this is also its own problem, caused by the uneducated and ill-prepared.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle