Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
A 2 wheel drive sedan, a good tent with a campstove to cook your meals and storage for campsite supplies supplies works for a lot of families. You don't need to win the lottery to be an "Overlander". Spend your money on good basic campsite equipment, drive what you have, enjoy yourself, and you'll be happy as heck.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

How much to spend?
First, determine what you plan to do with your rig. I’m primarily a hiker, so I modified my 4Runner to allow me to reach areas where I want hike. That meant a lift, larger/more aggressive tires, and rock sliders. This also allows me to explore somewhat remote tracks, thereby satisfying my inner Indiana Jones.
What do you need to add to your vehicle for living? A rooftop or ground tent? Awning? Storage? Bedding? Kitchen setup? I bought a two burner propane stove, which is more versatile than my backpacking stove. I replaced my stock roof rack a full length version - a place to store items that may not fit inside the truck. I also use it as a photography platform and sometimes just a spot to sit and watch a lovely sunset.
What accessories will you need? Definitely some maintenance items/tools, recovery gear, maybe a communications setup. I added a console safe to secure valuables and made some insulated window covers for privacy. The more you repurpose from home or get on the cheap (Craigslist, eBay, discount stores, etc.), the easier it is to afford those big ticket essentials.
Build a spreadsheet, research prices (some are quite shocking!), set a budget and start with what you consider most beneficial. Save up, pay CASH for each upgrade, don’t put yourself in debt. Heck, you may lose interest or find that overlanding isn’t your thing. You’ll also learn what suits your style and this will influence future purchases. At first, I thought I wanted a RTT; after much thought, I purchased a teardrop trailer. I still use my ground tent for some trips, but the trailer is sweet for a base camp.
Whatever you decide, it should be for YOU to enjoy and not to impress others. I’ve never been cool, but I’ve had a helluva good time being uncool!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

How much to spend?
First, determine what you plan to do with your rig. I’m primarily a hiker, so I modified my 4Runner to allow me to reach areas where I want hike. That meant a lift, larger/more aggressive tires, and rock sliders. This also allows me to explore somewhat remote tracks, thereby satisfying my inner Indiana Jones.
What do you need to add to your vehicle for living? A rooftop or ground tent? Awning? Storage? Bedding? Kitchen setup? I bought a two burner propane stove, which is more versatile than my backpacking stove. I replaced my stock roof rack a full length version - a place to store items that may not fit inside the truck. I also use it as a photography platform and sometimes just a spot to sit and watch a lovely sunset.
What accessories will you need? Definitely some maintenance items/tools, recovery gear, maybe a communications setup. I added a console safe to secure valuables and made some insulated window covers for privacy. The more you repurpose from home or get on the cheap (Craigslist, eBay, discount stores, etc.), the easier it is to afford those big ticket essentials.
Build a spreadsheet, research prices (some are quite shocking!), set a budget and start with what you consider most beneficial. Save up, pay CASH for each upgrade, don’t put yourself in debt. Heck, you may lose interest or find that overlanding isn’t your thing. You’ll also learn what suits your style and this will influence future purchases. At first, I thought I wanted a RTT; after much thought, I purchased a teardrop trailer. I still use my ground tent for some trips, but the trailer is sweet for a base camp.
Whatever you decide, it should be for YOU to enjoy and not to impress others. I’ve never been cool, but I’ve had a helluva good time being uncool!
Great response, I would love to share a campfire with you.

Reactions: ZombieCat

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
got a question...

i get the thread is about money spent on Overlanding and the starting post mentions a snob with a $500K rig. What if the owner of the $500K rig was into some bad stuff...lets just say drugs. Suppose he gets caught and his rig is impounded and sent to a DEA auction. People at the auction see the expensive rig and are all too intimidated to even bid on it. I happen by and as a joke, I bid $1. Since I'm the only bidder, I get the rig for $1. I later take it out and run across some OB members that are offended by my "expensive" Overlanding Machine. One of them quickly starts a thread about me and my rig. I frantically reach into the giant overly roomy glovebox and pull out my registration and receipt for $1.

It is unquestionably a very nice and very expensive rig...BUT, since I purchased it for $1, am I now one of the Cool Guys or am I a Snob? I guess I'm asking if money spent on Overlanding gets judged by Net or Gross value of the equipment/gear? And is depreciation a factor?

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
It is unquestionably a very nice and very expensive rig...BUT, since I purchased it for $1, am I now one of the Cool Guys or am I a Snob? I guess I'm asking if money spent on Overlanding gets judged by Net or Gross value of the equipment/gear?
I think the answer would lie in how you presented yourself, not the rig.
I've camped with quarter million dollar motor homes who belonged to the nicest people in the world and had people look down their nose at me because I didn't drive something new and expensive.
Would you look down on people because you have an expensive rig you paid a dollar for?
That's what I got out of the OP's comment.

Reactions: Sparksalot and MMc

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I've camped with quarter million dollar motor homes who belonged to the nicest people in the world and had people look down their nose at me because I didn't drive something new and expensive.
Would you look down on people because you have an expensive rig you paid a dollar for?
This question goes the opposite way as well, and points back at the orgin of the thread.

Would you look down on people because they spent what you consider too much money on their rig/equipment?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

It is not the rig it is the people in the rig. I met a couple 4 years ago in a Toyota, one of the square 80 's kind with a pop top. They were driving around the world, great folks. I have other tell me because my rig looks like construction truck I don't overland.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
its pretty much like everything else in life these days. there is an observer and his/her perception of things around them coupled with their innate desire to understand and make reason of what they are perceiving. for example, i observe that someone is different from me and has more than i have. my initial reaction is to question "why". i dont know enough about the person who has more, so i can only draw from what i do know, which is information about myself. that immediately makes me feel insecure, so i view the person again, only this time i am attaching negative attributes to them. that person is arrogant, rude, uncaring about the environment, etc. now i feel a little bit better about myself, but i still cant shake that feeling of inadaquacy i felt earlier. it lingers and begs me to self reflect, but that's not happening...not today! i need validation and i need it now! the only thing left to do is to try and summon a "woke mob" to agree with me and validate my perceptions.

the only question is: will YOU be my woke mob? :grinning:

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
its pretty much like everything else in life these days. there is an observer and his/her perception of things around them and their innate desire to understand and make reason of what they are perceiving. i observe that someone is different from me and has more than i have and my initial reaction is to question "why". i dont know enough about the person who has more, so i can only draw from what i do know, which is information about myself. that immediately makes me feel insecure, so i view the person again, only this time i am attaching negative attributes to them. that person is arrogant, rude, uncaring about the environment, etc. now i feel a little bit better about myself, but i still cant shake that feeling of inadaquacy i felt earlier. it lingers and begs me to self reflect, but that's not happening...not today! i need validation and i need it now! the only thing left to do is to try and summon a "woke mob" to agree with me and validate my perceptions.

the only question is: will YOU be my woke mob? :grinning:
I think that you are now tied for first place in this thread!

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
On a teardrop forum, the question comes up as well. A really good response is “how many people ask for a tour of your motor home?”

ObiShawnKenobi

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Collinsville, IL, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Moore
Member #

On a teardrop forum, the question comes up as well. A really good response is “how many people ask for a tour of your motor home?”
Honestly, I have had a lot of people ask for a tour of my camper. It can be an attention getter.

Attachments

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Whatever you want to. I met a couple with a Mercedes Sprinter DRW with the tall top. A Caribbean short bus with all of the seats and some windows removed. It was a nice little motorhome.

I'm saving up $30k for a Bundutec Bunduvry. Solar, AC, inside and outside showers, combi water heat thing.

ontos

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Shepherd
Your question brought to mind a story I think about often. A bunch of years ago, my sister married a really great guy from Norway. He had some buddies who were in the wedding, who had never been to the States but were really into rock climbing, mountaineering, and Metallica. So these two crazy Norwegians flew into LAX with their backpacking gear, their climbing racks, and a few thousand dollars. First day in the country they bought a $3000 minivan, a cooler and some food from BigBox, loaded up, and set out across the country. They spent a few months driving from LA to Joshua Tree, up through Yosemite, down through Vegas/Red Rocks, down to the Hueco Tanks, up through the Smokies, then up Skyline Drive, further north to the mountains in New Hampshire, and then down to south eastern VA. They saw Metallica three or four times on that trip, climbed most of the best areas in the US, did a ton of dispersed camping, and then sold the van for what they paid for it before flying home.

Those guys did more overlanding, I'd bet, for a few grand in parts from Advanced Auto, a Tractor Supply tool kit, and a case of Slim Jims than most full builds will ever do. Not that theirs is the only way, or even the best way. (It was really good they had access to a shower before the wedding.) But, if you want to go get it, it doesn't take a ton of money, and I can't think of anyone who would say their trip wasn't "real overlanding" though we called it dirtbagging back then.

TLDR: get out there and see the country. It'll be an adventure no matter how you do it.

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Bottom line here is pretty simple.

It's not what you spend to look the part. It's doing the part.

Take what you have and do it. Travel. There's so much out there to explore!

I am and love what I'm seeing.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
The dude in the 2”-lifted Dodge Duster with a lot of trail rash, ground tent and sleeping bag thrown into the hatch is infinitely more bad-ass then the dude in the tricked out Gladiator.

Duster dude is who I wanna offer a beer to.