How long do you stay in one place when boondocking?

• HTML tutorial

How long do you stay in one place while boondocking?

• 1 night

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • 2-3 nights

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 1 week or longer

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
On a more serious note. I've never "named" any of my camping. I camp....away from people unless I cant. Boondocking? I thought it was an RV thing. Dispersed is something I see on maps. Then there's camp grounds, private and primitive. IDK...its just camping to me.

K12

Rank VII

Pathfinder I

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I boondock 90% of the year. Im fulltime
so what do you look for in a site? if you stay at one place for a week or two, are you out and about most time or are you at camp doing things?
I work remote as well. So my 3 days off ill hike around and see everything, or use it as a base camp and drive trails. It reall depends on how I like the area. If im not a fan of it ill move after the week. Inusually like staying for 2 so that I use less fuel.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Boondocking at its best

View attachment 285043

Come on Grub...you didn't post this first? We all know you were thinking this when you made the thread.
ha!
hey...that looks like boondocking at its finest right there!
the wife and i do a good bit of the boondocking/stealth camping and when its 1am and i need a few hours to rest...walmart, loves truck stop and the back of cracker barrel have all been very accommodating to us. we even have certain rest areas and pull offs out west that we use when we're out that way. people on here have asked about boondocking sites and when i gave the places we use, there is no reply and then it dawned on me that maybe my definition of "boondocking" is different that everyone else.

i knew better than to ask the definition of "boondocking"...so rather i asked about the average duration of stay to better get an idea of how the majority of folk do things and what kind of site they might be interested in.

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
the wife and i do a good bit of the boondocking/stealth camping and when its 1am and i need a few hours to rest...walmart, loves truck stop and the back of cracker barrel
Lol... grubworm, you are completely mangling the definition of boondocking, now I see that it is YOU who is messing up and confusing this community! ;) This is like a guy talking about hunting, when he goes to the supermarket for meat, or picks a live lobster lol!

Boondocking == camping in the BOONDOCKS == NOT Walmart, NOT stealth camping on a street, NOT a campground.

Pleeeeeeaaaase, stop your heresy! ;)

• Haha

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Our average was probably 2-3 days with some remote spots being a week. When we moved to a new area/state/country, 1 nighters unless we ended up on a lake or river which would become 2. Some of our favorite long stays were in spots with lots to do around it and on or very close to a river. We were full time so down days were essential to pepper in along the way. We did spend almost 10 days in a large forest, hot spring jumping, with one spot becoming a basecamp for 6 days (IIRC). If it was someone's house and free, 1 to no more than 2 days depending on if we'd need something special in the area or if we ended up helping them with a project. We did live in someone's yard for 2 months but we ended up house and pet sitting while they dealt with cancer treatments in a large city ~200 miles away. Usually we ran out of food and were forced to move if we happened upon a perfect free spot. We've done months entirely free camping, boondocking, stealth, pirate...whatever. FWIW, in other countries Overlanders seek out someone with a decent amount of tools to "camp" in their yard to perform repairs or upgrades. Usually there is a cost but it's a great way to make new friends. We spent a fair amount of time "camping" at mechanic shops or at the homes of mechanics to handle things on our van. No matter the country, gear heads just can't help themselves.

• Love

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Lol... grubworm, you are completely mangling the definition of boondocking, now I see that it is YOU who is messing up and confusing this community! ;) This is like a guy talking about hunting, when he goes to the supermarket for meat, or picks a live lobster lol!

Boondocking == camping in the BOONDOCKS == NOT Walmart, NOT stealth camping on a street, NOT a campground.

Pleeeeeeaaaase, stop your heresy! ;)
hey...im actually being legit on this one...:sunglasses:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Our average was probably 2-3 days with some remote spots being a week. When we moved to a new area/state/country, 1 nighters unless we ended up on a lake or river which would become 2. Some of our favorite long stays were in spots with lots to do around it and on or very close to a river. We were full time so down days were essential to pepper in along the way. We did spend almost 10 days in a large forest, hot spring jumping, with one spot becoming a basecamp for 6 days (IIRC). If it was someone's house and free, 1 to no more than 2 days depending on if we'd need something special in the area or if we ended up helping them with a project. We did live in someone's yard for 2 months but we ended up house and pet sitting while they dealt with cancer treatments in a large city ~200 miles away. Usually we ran out of food and were forced to move if we happened upon a perfect free spot. We've done months entirely free camping, boondocking, stealth, pirate...whatever. FWIW, in other countries Overlanders seek out someone with a decent amount of tools to "camp" in their yard to perform repairs or upgrades. Usually there is a cost but it's a great way to make new friends. We spent a fair amount of time "camping" at mechanic shops or at the homes of mechanics to handle things on our van. No matter the country, gear heads just can't help themselves.
ok...now THIS is the best post i have seen the entire time i've been on here...
i retired 12 yrs ago when i was 46 and i pretty much just travel and do for others. yeah, i might sound a bit unorthodox at times, but i do have my moments...
i have done a LOT of free work for churches and organizations of that nature and i really like traveling and helping others. i would ABSOLUTELY love to travel and meet people and help those who need it. i am very fortunate and i live an extremely blessed life, so yes, traveling and doing for others would be a very cool thing to do.