• HTML tutorial

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I am curious how most do their international travels. Do you ship your vehicle with you? do you rent while abroad?

My vehicles aren't worth shipping around the world so we tend to rent while we are in other countries. This also gives us a chance to try other vehicles or experience new to us modes of travel.

When we mad our trip to the Galapagos we spent almost 2 weeks floating between islands on a catamaran. I am not much of a sailor but it was an amazing experience, and it took us to incredible spots full of life.
IMG_6302.JPGIMG_6321.JPGIMG_6345.JPG

When we made our trip to Death Valley, we flew into Vegas and rented a Kia, and once we got to Death Valley rented a Jeep for the day. We drove the Jeep to some harder to get to spots and the Kia everywhere else.20190201_115628-PANO.jpg20190201_132950.jpgIMG_20190203_200842_158.jpg20190202_143541.jpg20190202_125607.jpg

When we went to Iceland we rented a Ford Kuga which took us everywhere we wanted to go. It took us through some unmaintained roads to see glaciers, waterfalls, farmland, beaches, and more. We dodged sheep and crossed flood plains. I was surprised with the little car.
IMG_0768.JPGIMG_0956.JPGIMG_0984.JPGIMG_1523.JPGIMG_1601.JPGIMG_1640.JPGIMG_1798.JPGIMG_1883.JPG
While in Peru we walked everywhere or took a bus. We hiked the Inca trail and then hopped on a plane and then a bus into the Amazon rainforest where we saw farmers burning areas to clear for crops, one of which got a little out of hand which our bus driver decided to just drive through anyway. We then got onto Banana boats to run up the rivers into the forest to our lodge.IMG_3119.JPGIMG_3055.JPGIMG_3185.JPGIMG_3216.JPGIMG_3224.JPGIMG_3227.JPGIMG_3227.JPGIMG_3305.JPGIMG_3309.JPGIMG_3311.JPGIMG_3472.JPG
IMG_3517.JPGIMG_3523.JPG
IMG_3956.JPGIMG_3612.JPGIMG_3817.JPGIMG_3867.JPGIMG_3885.JPGIMG_3932.JPG

so again, while abroad, what does everyone prefer to do? use local modes of transportation? drive your vehicle from home ( if possible)? ship vehicle abroad with you?
throw some pics up of some travels. while I have driven my Jeep to Pennsylvania to go offroading with friends, and my wife's Honda to Pittsburg for concerts. we live north of Toronto so it takes some time to get to/across the border.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: grubworm

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
I am curious how most do their international travels. Do you ship your vehicle with you? do you rent while abroad?

My vehicles aren't worth shipping around the world so we tend to rent while we are in other countries. This also gives us a chance to try other vehicles or experience new to us modes of travel.

When we mad our trip to the Galapagos we spent almost 2 weeks floating between islands on a catamaran. I am not much of a sailor but it was an amazing experience, and it took us to incredible spots full of life.
View attachment 207516View attachment 207517View attachment 207518

When we made our trip to Death Valley, we flew into Vegas and rented a Kia, and once we got to Death Valley rented a Jeep for the day. We drove the Jeep to some harder to get to spots and the Kia everywhere else.View attachment 207523View attachment 207524View attachment 207525View attachment 207521View attachment 207519

When we went to Iceland we rented a Ford Kuga which took us everywhere we wanted to go. It took us through some unmaintained roads to see glaciers, waterfalls, farmland, beaches, and more. We dodged sheep and crossed flood plains. I was surprised with the little car.
View attachment 207526View attachment 207527View attachment 207532View attachment 207539View attachment 207540View attachment 207541View attachment 207542View attachment 207543
While in Peru we walked everywhere or took a bus. We hiked the Inca trail and then hopped on a plane and then a bus into the Amazon rainforest where we saw farmers burning areas to clear for crops, one of which got a little out of hand which our bus driver decided to just drive through anyway. We then got onto Banana boats to run up the rivers into the forest to our lodge.View attachment 207544View attachment 207545View attachment 207546View attachment 207547View attachment 207548View attachment 207549View attachment 207549View attachment 207550View attachment 207551View attachment 207552View attachment 207554
View attachment 207555View attachment 207556
View attachment 207558View attachment 207557View attachment 207559View attachment 207560View attachment 207561View attachment 207562

so again, while abroad, what does everyone prefer to do? use local modes of transportation? drive your vehicle from home ( if possible)? ship vehicle abroad with you?
throw some pics up of some travels. while I have driven my Jeep to Pennsylvania to go offroading with friends, and my wife's Honda to Pittsburg for concerts. we live north of Toronto so it takes some time to get to/across the border.
My wife and I love traveling through Iceland. Will be going back again, probably next year and 4wd drive some "F" roads next time into the Highlands. The northern Indian Himalayas are another place we need to do a return trip to, as we have good friends over there in the mountains that we want to see again.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
awesome pics @Red_Leaf_Overland. LOVE the catamaran adventure.

i'm ex-military and ex-commercial diver so i did a lot of travel and work overseas and rented vehicles when the opportunity arose. i liked renting vehicles because i got to try different vehicles, some of which are not available stateside and it was relatively cheap and easy. i was only in places for a few days, so shipping my own vehicle wasn't even sensible, but on longer trips, i would still want to rent and have the option of ditching the car and hopping on a boat like you did. i always traveled light and fast and i would travel that way even on longer trips. if i'm in another country and something happens, like the covid mess...it would be easier to turn in a rental and catch a quick flight and not have to worry about my vehicle being stranded somewhere.

i've been in some not so nice areas and i certainly would not want my personal vehicle there...go with a rental and extra insurance and let the chips fall where they may! it also gives you the opportunity to try things you wouldnt dare try with your own vehicle...:grinning:

1629834347065.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

awesome pics @Red_Leaf_Overland. LOVE the catamaran adventure.

i'm ex-military and ex-commercial diver so i did a lot of travel and work overseas and rented vehicles when the opportunity arose. i liked renting vehicles because i got to try different vehicles, some of which are not available stateside and it was relatively cheap and easy. i was only in places for a few days, so shipping my own vehicle wasn't even sensible, but on longer trips, i would still want to rent and have the option of ditching the car and hopping on a boat like you did. i always traveled light and fast and i would travel that way even on longer trips. if i'm in another country and something happens, like the covid mess...it would be easier to turn in a rental and catch a quick flight and not have to worry about my vehicle being stranded somewhere.

i've been in some not so nice areas and i certainly would not want my personal vehicle there...go with a rental and extra insurance and let the chips fall where they may! :grinning:
I agree about some not so nice places where if i rental were to go missing or get damaged its not the end of the world. The wife and I travel fairly light as well. Its a habit from backpacking days lol.