How do you get weather updates with no cell service?

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Here in New England, the weather can change any minute. Also, I remember when we didnt have cell phones or the internet, so we would prepare best we could and move on.

I like to try to always be prepared. I check the ten day forecast, understanding that the further out, the less accurate it's likely to be. So I always have a tarp and some rain wear in my truck. Not just some "packable" Columbia junk that's only gonna keep a light drizzle off you for 15 minutes, but either one of thier heavier duty jackets or a good old fashioned yellow rain slicker. Dont forget to bring a towel.

You've heard the term "head for the hills!", well theres truth in that. Dont camp in hollows and dry river beds, or even too close to a river bank if it could floodd. Be at least halfway up a hill, but maybe not on the very top of a bald mountain. Near or just into the treeline but not near deadwood.

In my truck I had a Cobra 25 LTD WX CB with weather that I liked. I switch it to NOAA weather and tune in a strong signal. Recently I took that out and replaced it with a Cobra 29 LTD with upper and lower side band but without weather, so I picked up a 2 pack GMRS radios with weather. Small, handheld I can keep one on me and tune that to one of its NOAA weather stations.

Also, many AM news radio stations will repeat the weather report every 10 mins

Reactions: Kuzi and RoarinRow

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I have a BF UV5R+. No Ham license, so no tx, but what are some good frequencies to have programmed for weather monitoring? Or a resource to find them? Thanks in advance.
162.400 MHz is the weather service radio (same thing the weather radios broadcast).
147.135 MHz is the K5EOK repeater in Edmond
145.410 MHz is the WX5OKC repeater in OKC and normally linked to WX5OUN (NWS)
147.060 MHz is the W5NOR repeater in Norman.

Typically the Skywarn nets only activate if there is a chance of tornadic activity.
Given your location and the typical movement of storms you would most likely want to listen to WX5OKC and W5NOR..... of course I say that and today storms are moving in from the north, but except for some strong lightening and heavy rains they really aren't bad.

www.repeaterbook.com
www.radioreference.com
Both good resources to find frequencies of interest, radioreference is good for both ham and non-ham frequencies.

Grindstone

Rank 0

Contributor II

Mustang, OK, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
M
162.400 MHz is the weather service radio (same thing the weather radios broadcast).
147.135 MHz is the K5EOK repeater in Edmond
145.410 MHz is the WX5OKC repeater in OKC and normally linked to WX5OUN (NWS)
147.060 MHz is the W5NOR repeater in Norman.

Typically the Skywarn nets only activate if there is a chance of tornadic activity.
Given your location and the typical movement of storms you would most likely want to listen to WX5OKC and W5NOR..... of course I say that and today storms are moving in from the north, but except for some strong lightening and heavy rains they really aren't bad.

www.repeaterbook.com
www.radioreference.com
Both good resources to find frequencies of interest, radioreference is good for both ham and non-ham frequencies.
Thanks! I really appreciate the info.
Yeah, getting hit pretty good right now lol
It's sorely needed, though.
Stay safe out there.

Jeep80

Rank II

Traveler III

Birmingham, AL, USA
First Name
Gene
Last Name
Eighmy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4M
I have a BF UV5R+. No Ham license, so no tx, but what are some good frequencies to have programmed for weather monitoring? Or a resource to find them? Thanks in advance.
I have these WX frequencies programmed in my UV5R and other radios. These should work anywhere you go.

WX1 - 162.550 MHz
WX2 - 162.400 MHz
WX3 - 162.475 MHz
WX4 - 162.425 MHz
WX5 - 162.450 MHz
WX6 - 162.500 MHz
WX7 - 162.525 MHz

Kelt0004

Rank II

Traveler III

Los Angeles
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Keltner
Member #

I use the Garmin InReach. It works well and is Iridium Satellite based. Monthly fee that can be cancelled anytime as well as text messaging via satellite to keep the family up to date on your condition/location.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

My backup is pretty simple but effective. My Grandpa and Dad always carried a Radio Shack Realistic weather radio with them camping and in the boat. Mine's a little more modern but same basic idea. A Midland ER310 weather radio with built in solar panel and hand crank charger. Inexpensive and dependable, also has a light and AM/FM.

prod_ec_2015679402.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JPM78130

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My backup is pretty simple but effective. My Grandpa and Dad always carried a Radio Shack Realistic weather radio with them camping nd in the boat. Mine's a little more modern but same basic idea. A Midland ER310 weather radio with built in solar panel and hand crank charger. Inexpensive and dependable, also has a light and AM/FM.

View attachment 167122
That one looks pretty cool. I'll have to take a look at one.

Kelt0004

Rank II

Traveler III

Los Angeles
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Keltner
Member #

I have a Garmin InReach. It will give a daily or weekly forecast but I don’t think it would be great for letting you know about upcoming storms.

Kelt0004

Rank II

Traveler III

Los Angeles
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Keltner
Member #

My backup is pretty simple but effective. My Grandpa and Dad always carried a Radio Shack Realistic weather radio with them camping nd in the boat. Mine's a little more modern but same basic idea. A Midland ER310 weather radio with built in solar panel and hand crank charger. Inexpensive and dependable, also has a light and AM/FM.

View attachment 167122
That one looks pretty cool. I'll have to take a look at one.
I like the weather radio option!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yeah, I have a CB radio with weather, and a couple of Cobra FRS/GMRS with weather. But this would be a good addition to the pic-a-nic table, especially because you can use it to listes to any local music stations, and it will interrupt in case of bad weather.

I like the flashlight and its S.O.S. feature

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I can usually tell if the weathers gonna turn. Just this last trip we were off grid, thankfully for four days, and only a sprinkle in the late afternoon which I accurately predicted. My son in law couldn’t figure out how I knew it. Maybe it’s from being raised on a farm that put me in touch with Mother Nature. My grandpa was really good at it. Mowing the hay or not depended on his inside knowledge of impending weather. I only remember wet hay a couple of times and that’s when my dad ignored grandpa.

• Love
Reactions: old_man

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The inReach Explorer+ will let you download free weather reports or you can pay for premium weather reports.
How do those free weather reports look like? What is included? What is missing? Do these reports contain sufficient information for overlanding purposes? Thanks.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

How do those free weather reports look like? What is included? What is missing? Do these reports contain sufficient information for overlanding purposes? Thanks.
They arent bad! I dont remember what the premium ones look like., I think they might just be longer. I'll try getting one today and see how they compare. Here are some images of the free ones.
IMG_7557.JPGIMG_7558.JPGIMG_7559.JPG

Reactions: El-Dracho

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

Premium forecast is for today plus 7 days, basic is just two. Same info though. Both give 2 hour breakdowns with detailed info for each two hour block.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Off-Road Ranger III

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #