Launch Member

Contributor I

El Paso
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Scott
Member #

So, I’m sure folks hate Newbie questions, so I’m a bit reluctant to post this one targeted at the experienced Overlanders.

How important is it to have a 4WD vehicle to participate in “most” gatherings and community get togethers?

I ask because I have lived in the desert for the past 43 years and have never “Needed” 4WD. All of the vehicles that I’ve used are “high clearance” and although there have been times when 4WD would have reduced my anxiety level a few levels, I was able to make due with my 2WD vehicle.

Now that I’ve joined this community, I plan to participate and the last thing I want to do is have other members look at me and think “he’s crazy for driving that out here”.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions...

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
You should be just fine. 43 years in the desert and plenty of experience finding the limits of your rig? I would rather be on the trail with you than with a newbie with a JK/JL/Tacoma.

I bought my XJ with the front driveshaft in the rear cargo area because that was the only place it fit after the P.O. "fixed" the header and downpipe. It was a couple of years before I got around to fixing things properly, but that didn't keep me from participating on a number of runs and Adopt-A-Trail events.

As long as a driver pays attention to their limits there are no problems. And even with 4wd and lockers there are limits. You at least know you have your limits. It is the ones who think they have no limits who make life difficult for the rest of us.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I think we all know this guy but I have a co-worker that has always had the beefiest most tricked out 4x4 around. Every winter with the first snow or ice like clockwork he puts it in the ditch. As always, it’s totally the trucks fault. Bahahaha

So as said above, if you know your equipment and what it’s capable of (or not) you are leaps & bounds ahead of the guy that thinks he’s bulletproof because of the 4x4* sticker on the bed.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I drive a 2wd van and tow an off-road trailer and go all over hither and yon. Just spent eight months adventuring with it from coast of Maine to the Blue Ridge Mountains of WV, to the Smoky Mtns, to the bayous and swamps to desert borderlands and back.

So, no, like has been said, with all the experience you have with your high clearance vehicles and years in desert environment, you’re way ahead in the game.

I’m sure my choice in vehicles is looked down on at some of the parking lot gatherings and by those with blinged out rigs, and yours may be too, but you know what? We’re actually getting out there and adventuring more that most of them ever will. Some folks never get their rigs out of parking lots or brewery meets.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Our 2WD truck is turning into quite the truck over time and as we're getting out in it more. It does a lot of stuff really really well and its able to get a suprising amount of paces. Air pressure and knowing how to drive a higher clearance vehicle helps a lot. Having a locker or LSD in the rear helps as do good tires. Between all of those you can get a LOT of places.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Depends on terrain, weight and size of vehicle, and location. Can't even park a 2wd in the grass here, for about 75% of the year.

4wd is very important in wet, slick, soft conditions. Where I'm at, a 2wd can go down any of our overland dirt road routes. At least until you pull way over on a 1.5 lane road to let an oncoming newb pass, and your tire slips into a soft spot. Then you're stuck, and getting the hilift winch out every time that happens, gets old quick. 2wd is completely useless here on true off road trails here, but those aren't ''overlanding''.

Same perspective on MT tires. I only go where AT's are needed. But then a little extra rain softens the grass, or turns the roads to mud.

And things are different for little rides, and big trucks. A 1ton trucks sinks in soft stuff badly, and 4wd is absolutely key, in places a Taco might only need 2wd. Big trucks can suffer quick. Add a camper, and now 4wd and lockers are needed for relatively mundane trails.

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

4WD is a major advantage, that much is undeniable.

Having said that, what is more important is understanding the capabilities and characteristics of your vehicle, having strong driving skills and good ability to read terrain, and one of the biggest keys is having very good tires and airing them down appropriately. You can go a LOT of places with 2wd, especially if it's FWD, that many wouldn't believe you could, especially if you also have good ground clearance and suspension flex.

Basically it really depends heavily on your rig and how you drive it. As many here have said, you can go a heck of a lot of places in 2wd, almost as many as with 4wd, but be aware that you are losing some safety and traction advantage by not having 4wd, or at least AWD.

So, when you gonna show us your rig? :D

Reactions: GRIMGPR

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
So, I’m sure folks hate Newbie questions, so I’m a bit reluctant to post this one targeted at the experienced Overlanders.
Newbie or otherwise, questions are what this community is for! I'm so glad you posted this question because I can guarantee other folks reading the boards have it too. Welcome to the community, by the way!

How important is it to have a 4WD vehicle to participate in “most” gatherings and community get togethers?
Not at all important. I see 4x4 as a safety feature first and foremost. As far as capability goes there’s lots of examples of 2wd vehicles that are very capable. Good tires, a good locker, and decent recovery gear will take care of most issues.

You won’t be able to go all the neat places without 4x4 but you’ll be able to go to most of them. For every spot you have to skip, there’s a million you can see instead. Depending on your area it may be an advantage. If there are limited 4x4 exploration spaces near you, then everyone will be using that space, which means the non-4x4 spaces might be less crowded.

Of course your travel objective matters a lot. I wouldn’t try a trans-Africa or Simpson Desert in Oz in a 2wd, but virtually anywhere in North America has options for you to explore. You can either plan the vehicle for the trip, or plan the trip for the vehicle. Either way works!

Either way a good attitude means more in this game than all the ARB accessories in the catalogue, and the best part is it’s free and anyone can choose to have one!

Last edited:

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I would not be comfortable in a 2wd vehicle on the narrow, steep, shelf mountain roads I tend to travel. The added traction of 4wd isn't what I like, it is the added control of the vehicle I have in low-range. Low-range also greatly reduces the wear on a clutch or excessive heat buildup that will damage an automatic transmission, not to mention the ability to Tread Lightly with less wheel spin when you do get into a sticky situation.

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

My daily driver is an LX470 with KO2 tires. It's incredibly capable but my camping rig is a two wheel drive PleasureWay Traverse van (also on KO2 tires). As long as I don't try "running" trails, driving on wet soft stuff, and use common sense, I can go to most places I want to go. I just got back from a couple days up in the Sawtooth NRA where we did a bit of exploring down FS roads and had no issues. It really is a matter of experience and common sense when driving a standard drive vehicle vs. 4x4. I always like that saying that 4x4 just gets you into trouble further back. But if you're going to drive roads like Konza, you should have 4x4. I'm too scared to drive those narrow mountain roads anyway so...

Edited to add that you also need experience and common sense driving a 4x4, perhaps even more so than driving a 2x4!

Last edited:
Reactions: GRIMGPR

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Seems like a lot of people missed answering your question. It would depend on what the meetup/activity is. Here in PHX so far we just do meetups at a local restaurant. You could ride a bicycle if you wanted. LOL If I were to setup an overnight trip you would be fine because I pull a teardrop camper and generally don't do hard trails. You would be fine. You have 40+ years and probably know where a trip would be going already in your area, and know if you are good or not. I would message the organizer and tell them what you have and see what they say. Or if you setup an outing you can pick the route and make it to your liking.

Just understand there may be trips that are not for you and I'm sure you are okay with that. But if people look down to you because of what you drive, do you really want to be around them? I don't.

Todd

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

4WD is not required. Driving skill and common sense is required.

There is seldom a "need" to leave the road and if you believe in "tread lightly" you should never leave the road/trail track. The advantage of 4WD is the ability to go slower, with 2WD you often need momentum to get thru some mud or up a steep slope. 4WD does let you tread lightly. Slower travel is also easier on the truck and stuff you carry. But 2WD with reasonable gtound clearance will get you most anywhere you need to go.

Ask your Grandparents how they travelled before the highways were paved and everything was 2WD.

ps, if you get stuck with 4WD....
you will be truly stuck.

Last edited: