How cheep can you be to run a fridge

• HTML tutorial

Truck mechanic

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hi all,
Thought I would start a new thread in response to the cooler fridge debate. I am king of cheep. so here are my thoughts. First I bought a dometic 35 qt fridge this past summer on Amazon, I think it was $365 if memory serves me. I already had twin yellow tops, but you could do the same thing with a Walmart deep cycle battery, lets say $125. Then I added a cont duty relay to connect the batteries to charge. another $50. add in some cable, ends and heatshrink, and a conector. say another $50. we are at just shy of $600. Labor, all done by myself. Wieght and room, not a problem for me, I'm driving an e350. That said I used to do this out of a scout. still had the twin yellow tops. so I would have spent that same money. wiring and all pretty much the same. I would have run a fridge had I found the dometic before I sold the old girl. to me once you set it up and is the simple thing to have, plug it in and go, no charge panels on the roof, no charge controlers. I tend to move daily so I don't have to worry about the battery not being charged. If I sayed in the same spot, it would be an issue. So far I haven't seen my second battery go below 12.3 over night.
This all my 2 cents so take it as you mite. but the whole set up cost me the same as a high end cooler with out having to deal with Ice.

Reactions: Stoked and Boort

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

Do you find that the 35 qt fridge is big enough for your needs? This is where I struggle a little bit with trying to figure out what size I need. I figure that size would be sufficient for myself, and maybe one passenger, but then I think about taking the whole family with me and needing more space. But then again, if I have my whole family with me, it's not likely that I would be so far off the grid that I couldn't restock regularly. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night :blush:

Truck mechanic

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Do you find that the 35 qt fridge is big enough for your needs? This is where I struggle a little bit with trying to figure out what size I need. I figure that size would be sufficient for myself, and maybe one passenger, but then I think about taking the whole family with me and needing more space. But then again, if I have my whole family with me, it's not likely that I would be so far off the grid that I couldn't restock regularly. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night :blush:
Well its mostly just me and the dawg, but to be honest last time I went out, I also brought a cooler for drinks and just put food in the fridge. I did over pack with the drink thig because I was going with a group and wanted to be able to offer something when we were hanging out. if it was Just for me the fridge would work fine.

Reactions: Stoked

Truck mechanic

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

well I just looked again, I no longer see what I bought, I did see a dometic 40 qt for 425, maby mine was a close out? not really sure. I do know there was a larger fridge by another brand that I almost bought, but dissapered from my feed, it was a sun...... something or another, I'm sure it was a knock off. could of dissapered because it wasn't any good. But rite after that the 35 qt came up on my feed so I grabed it, mite be a rite place at the rite time thing.
What am I missing. I see $600+/- on Amazon. I wish I could find one for that. I am on the cheap side myself.

Doug

Stoked

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Celina, Tx
Member #

well I just looked again, I no longer see what I bought, I did see a dometic 40 qt for 425, maby mine was a close out? not really sure. I do know there was a larger fridge by another brand that I almost bought, but dissapered from my feed, it was a sun...... something or another, I'm sure it was a knock off. could of dissapered because it wasn't any good. But rite after that the 35 qt came up on my feed so I grabed it, mite be a rite place at the rite time thing.
Thanks for the feedback! I think something in the 40-45 qt range would be sufficient for my needs. I just don't want to dump money into something that ends up being too big for my needs or pulls too much power to be efficient.

Reactions: Truck mechanic