How can I make this fuse/relay box water resistant?

• HTML tutorial

CafeRoaster

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Clark
Took a gamble on a cheap fuse/relay box and switch panel. So far it's been great, but I can't close the fuse/relay box lid, because they don't account for the battery cables. Hah!

What could be the best way to go about making this more water resistant?

I'm thinking I could use a large drill bit to carve out a space for the cables, then find or make a gasket that goes around the top lid and bottom.

Attachments

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Who says it has to? Hog out holes for the cables. Close it up.

If you keep the holes small, grease could seal it up enough.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
thats hard to drill
why not get a rat tail file close to the diameter of the cable and file a nice slot exactly the length you need. slightly undercut the slot and you will have a tight seal just by compressing the cable a hair when you screw down the cover

if you dont have a round file, use a fine tooth saw blade like a hacksaw and cut the two sides and then break the tab with pliers and then find a bolt the same diameter of the cable and use it going back and forth to file out the round at the end of the cut to match the cable radius. you can use a bolt to file soft plastic like that

Last edited:
Reactions: smritte

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Yeah, cut a relief for cable entry using your choice of tools, then Sikaflex or similar to seal.

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

. . . and coat all connections and contacts with dielectric grease. . . I like CRC Marine Premium.