How bare bones do you go for a short trip?

• HTML tutorial

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

do you have a minimalist kit that you roll with
I grew up mountaineering so I used to only pack necessities. Then with a family we started packing much more. The past 20 years have been all about shedding the extras. I'll never go back to plastic forks nor stolen paper salt & pepper packets but my every day pack is minimalistic. And every trip I look to see what else I don't need.

I just reduced the recovery gear I take today. That big pulley/shackle/tree saver is in the shop permanently.

But I do travel with a Square Drop which is always ready, even the bed is always made. I prefer zero aet up and zero packing.

For me a long trip means more stops for groceries and a biweekly stop at a laundramat. My 5 weeks thru WA/ID/CA/NV/CO/WY/MT.... I stopped for laundry 3 times. But the stuff I took was the same as a 3 day trip within 100 miles of home.

Last edited:

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

The Mrs. & I have a "Basic List" - the minimum must have's for 1, 2, 3 nights out. If it's a Travel too and stay, we have an additional list of should take with. If's it Travel everyday, 3 days out, 3 days back, we attach the Expedition Basket and add the extra Cooking table, lots of it goes into the Basket, so we can sleep in the vehicle, so we don't have pack-up the tent, every morning. Both vehicles have First Aid kits, Fire Extinguishers, Rescue Equipment. Lately our travels have been to Glamping locations, where I don't have to pack-up any Camping stuff. GO, DO, BE. Get out, social distance, wash your hands and be Safe, Sane! DG

Viking Justice

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Justice
Member #

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. With a wide array of what we think of as bare bones, it gives us all something to think about. I know I saw a couple ideas that I will use to adjust my load out in the future. Thanks, again!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I am trying...every trip I take a little less but leave something I need/wanted behind and had something that I didn't use. This is a learning curve.
Sometime painfully I would suggest ! I prefer well laid plans. With me it's if I dont have it with me, for sure that's what I'll need. I dont think there is such a thing as too much when your away from your base station, at least for me. LOL

Reactions: Viking Justice

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

Its like George Carlin said...more room for YOUR STUFF lol...
I hear ya...the more room you have in your vehicle seems like to more you pack.

I obliged my wife in bringing alot of the "camping things" but we haven't used half of it.

However it is nice to have creature comforts when out for along time.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Its like George Carlin said...more room for YOUR STUFF lol...
I hear ya...the more room you have in your vehicle seems like to more you pack.

I obliged my wife in bringing alot of the "camping things" but we haven't used half of it.

However it is nice to have creature comforts when out for along time.
Gotta keep the wife involved whatever it takes...Trust me.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
I keep my rig loaded 24/7 with camping clothes, basic food and water and only have to add fresh food when we want to roll out.
I consider my van a bug out rig and since I only work part time I like to take random weekday trips.
20200421_191654.jpg

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I’m talking roughly a three day trip. Do you do a full load out or do you have a minimalist kit that you roll with. I have a camping box that I can just snag and toss in the back of my Jeep that has everything but my cot and sleeping bag in it. Has my tent, stakes, ground tarp, battery powered lanterns w/extra batteries, tp, fire starting kit and other essentials. I can load that box, my cot, sleeping bag, and a cooler with food supplies and be solid for up to three days if I’m just getting away. Of course if I’m fishing or hunting there’s other thing to consider, but I’m talking just get out in nature for a couple days. So, what do you run with for this type of short trip..?
I take the same gear on a 1 night trip that I take on a 1 week trip, the main difference is I bring more consumables (water, food, propane, clothes, etc) on the longer trips. This way I can follow the same packing list and vehicle organization for all trips. I'm also more likely to have time for shorter trips, and this way they are good packing practice for the longer trips.

- Matt

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
I take the same gear on a 1 night trip that I take on a 1 week trip, the main difference is I bring more consumables (water, food, propane, clothes, etc) on the longer trips. This way I can follow the same packing list and vehicle organization for all trips. I'm also more likely to have time for shorter trips, and this way they are good packing practice for the longer trips.

- Matt
That's my approach as well. My truck bed is crowded, but always packed with cooking/cutlery/propane and one week of backpackers food (family of 4). Water and extra diesel are the variables. I always carry my sleeping bag and extra blankets, as I use the camper regularly. If the family is joining they have a grab and go shelf with their bags. My wife packs way too much, but I finally just let that go. The kids pack light thankfully.

Attachments