How are people crossing the Indian border on land?

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I’ve seen that thousands of people have travelled through South Asia by road, crossing multiple borders.

The information I have so far tells me that it is not permitted to enter India by road on either an e-visa or a paper visa (information from the Indian Consulate and also the Indian Government website).

We plan a trip next year on which we’ll visit India, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka; the 90 day limit per entry to India means that we’ll have to plan to leave and re-enter several times, and the requirement to enter India only by air (or at a few ports) means that we are going to have buy a lot of flights. We’ve already concluded that the cost of shipping our own vehicle to South Asia makes it impractical, so we currently plan to travel with a combination of hired vehicles, trains, and public transport.

The prohibition of land border crossing, couple with the fact that there are no flights between Pakistan and India means that to go (for example) from Lahore to Amritsar (about 50 km in a straight line) means flying from Lahore to Dubai and then from Dubai to Amritsar - 4000 km, with air fares to match!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I’ve seen that thousands of people have travelled through South Asia by road, crossing multiple borders.

The information I have so far tells me that it is not permitted to enter India by road on either an e-visa or a paper visa (information from the Indian Consulate and also the Indian Government website).

We plan a trip next year on which we’ll visit India, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka; the 90 day limit per entry to India means that we’ll have to plan to leave and re-enter several times, and the requirement to enter India only by air (or at a few ports) means that we are going to have buy a lot of flights. We’ve already concluded that the cost of shipping our own vehicle to South Asia makes it impractical, so we currently plan to travel with a combination of hired vehicles, trains, and public transport.

The prohibition of land border crossing, couple with the fact that there are no flights between Pakistan and India means that to go (for example) from Lahore to Amritsar (about 50 km in a straight line) means flying from Lahore to Dubai and then from Dubai to Amritsar - 4000 km, with air fares to match!
Regarding the border between India and Pakistan, search the web for the keyword Wagah Border Crossing. Wagah is the only possible border crossing as far as I know. This border closing ceremony is also held here every day.

Reactions: Alanymarce

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Regarding the border between India and Pakistan, search the web for the keyword Wagah Border Crossing. Wagah is the only possible border crossing as far as I know. This border closing ceremony is also held here every day.
Yes, we plan to get there at some point, either from Lahore or Amritsar.

The list of entry points permitted doesn't include Wagah (or any other land border crossing). It's tough to find information however I have found this one India Consulate site: "Foreign nationals will not be allowed to enter India through land routes on e-Tourist Visa/regular paper Tourist Visa." I'm hoping that a visit to the FRRO on arrival may help...