Rank V

Enthusiast III

Elgin, Moray, Scotland, United Kingdom
First Name
David
Last Name
Lawson
Member #

I have recently fitted a hood / bonnet net to my Isuzu D-max AT35. Installed to carry the such like recovery gear or camping chairs / tables or just wet dirty items that either one doesn’t want in there rig or taking up valuable space. Am wandering what people’s thoughts are.?Attached photos of the net on my d-max, also one on a Defender with equipment bag and also one on a Tundra

Attachments

Reactions: OBB and El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
A cool solution for utilizing unused space. Of course, it shouldn't be too heavy, otherwise the hood hinges will probably suffer and it will be very difficult to open the hood.

I have something similar. Two airline rails and checker plate on the hood. I can then lash things on there, for example a water bag.

Waterbag_airlinerails.JPG

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Looks great, I'll reiterate what was said already to keep it light up there as yours doesn't have any additional support rails underneath and it may cave-in the hood. My only other suggestion would be to keep the gear up there low profile, so you can see over it nicely. Good luck!

Reactions: El-Dracho

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
To throw out a wild idea here, who's to say you couldn't add some braces to reinforce the hood? If your engine is big, it might require careful placement in order to clear some components, but it doesn't seem like it should be impossible, if you can weld or know somebody who can.

The more concerning thing here is visibility, as already mentioned. Hoods are long and high on most dirt-worthy vehicles, which makes low objects such as pets, children, trash cans, shopping carts, compact cars, rocks, and tree stumps hard enough to see as it is. Efficiently strapping as much stuff to your car as possible should be less of a concern than the safety of others, others' property, and of course your own vehicle.

Then there is also the issue of cooling; unoccupied hoods conduct heat away from the engine compartment and, however minimally, aid in cooling. If you MUST put any thing on the hood, be aware that it will become extremely hot while the engine runs; and regardless of whether or not you add insulation to prevent this, objects on the hood will trap the heat and raise the normal driving temperature.

I say hard no to any thing on the hood, except when a hood scoop or cowl is necessitated... but those are usually for sports cars where visibility is less of a concern, and more space or more cooling is required.